cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Route through Chicago

linnemj
Explorer
Explorer
We are pulling our trailer from Elkhart, IN to Madison, WI in early May. Do you have any route suggestions to avoid traffic and tolls in the Chicago area?
Jim & Nicky
2012 Forest River XLR MBV 29
2010 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
Motorcycles!
11 REPLIES 11

Trekkar
Explorer
Explorer
GizmosMom wrote:
If you are not pressed for time here is a route that you might consider:
Swing west and take highway 17 to Lowell, Indiana. Then travel west to Kankakee and further west on 17 to 47. Then up to Interstate 80 to Interstate 39.

You might have to look at a map to further understand this route. We have taken 17 from Kankakee to Interstate 65 to avoid Chicago on our way to western Michigan many times.

X2. This works very well, but it isn't at freeway speeds. Lots of 18 wheeler's use this route, but traffic usually moves along quite well.
2014 Dodge Ram 1500
2021 Salem SFX 167RBK

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can take hwy 17 all the way to it's end, turn right and pick up 18 continue west thru Streator, west 17 more miles to 39. We do this to avoid I-80 which is still very busy.

Rustycamperpant
Explorer
Explorer
I live off I88 near Aroura and there is a lot of ramp construction westbound between 355N and I39N. To me the milage saved is worth the price of tolls. I would take 80W to 355N (294N gets crazy in my opinion and it is very rough) to 90N. We try to drive through before 6am or after 7pm.

By all means avoid rush hours (7am - 9:30am) and (4:30pm-7:00pm)
2009 Ford Expedition EB, 3.73, Equal-i-zer
2015 KZ Sportsman Showstopper 301BH

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
If you are not pressed for time here is a route that you might consider:
Swing west and take highway 17 to Lowell, Indiana. Then travel west to Kankakee and further west on 17 to 47. Then up to Interstate 80 to Interstate 39.

You might have to look at a map to further understand this route. We have taken 17 from Kankakee to Interstate 65 to avoid Chicago on our way to western Michigan many times.
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
Don't go through the city. Beyon that, it really depends on your priorities.

If you want to avoid tolls, going west to I39 would cut some out, but it also adds 40 miles to the trip - which means both time and gas. Taking 294 up to 88 and crossing west there would cut some of the tolls, but would reduce the added miles from 40 to 15. I-90 is obviously the straightest shot you have, but would also be the most costly in regard to tolls.

Traffic is the bigger priority for us. The tri-state isn't too horrible if you avoid rush hour. We try to steer clear of it from 7-9:30a and 4-6:30p on weekdays. If I stear clear of those hours, I don't typically have too much trouble. For whatever reason, Sunday afternoons can be particular bad on 80/294 near the IN/IL state line, but that is often worse eastbound than it is westbound (althought either can be an issue).

All in all, I have done the drive from SE Wisconsin to SE Michigan more than a dozen times in the last 6 months (and many more over the years), and avoiding rush hour and Sunday afternoons generally keeps me out of too much trouble.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
twodownzero wrote:
rr2254545 wrote:
Go west on I80 then north on I39 - its best to go around -

That'd be my suggestion as well.

That really is about the ONLY decent route that will avoid tolls completely......but you still need to avoid rush hours.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
rr2254545 wrote:

That'd be my suggestion as well.

AJR
Explorer
Explorer
If you do not have one. Get an I-Pass. It is good anywhere E-ZPass is accepted. You do not have to stop at toll booths and the toll is cheaper.

You give them a credit card number and have them charge $40 to it. Tolls are deducted from the $40 till the balance is $10. Then they automatically bring your balance back up to $40. You have one transponder. You tell them each vehicle and its plate number. They figure out the charge as you pass through.

I am going too Elkhart in May from Madison. I know of one toll for $4.65 on I39. I80 in Indiana is going to cost $27.28 for four axles. My route will be I39 south to I80. Then I80 to Elkhart.
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

Mfan
Explorer
Explorer
Early morning, late evening, use i94 to us41. No tolls, light traffic

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would drive well south if possible, there is no good way thru that mess.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper