cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sealer goop on roofs

stro1965
Explorer
Explorer
The goop they use to seal up joints in the roof is cracking and separating on my rig. It’s right where the front cap meets the rubber roof. Do I need to peel it all off, clean it up and re-apply the same garbage? Or can I remove, clean, and use eternabond tape instead?
2018 Ram DRW 3500 6.7
2019 Keystone Alpine 3021
11 REPLIES 11

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
stro1965 wrote:
I tackled this today. The goop was in worse shape than I thought, and there was a ton of it, so I decided to try to remove it. What a pain in the neck. I got 90% of it off, cleaned it all up with mineral spirits and applied the eternabond. I’ll be keeping an eye on it for a while.

As long as you applied it correctly, I'm sure you're good to go! You've probably avoided future issues.

stro1965
Explorer
Explorer
I tackled this today. The goop was in worse shape than I thought, and there was a ton of it, so I decided to try to remove it. What a pain in the neck. I got 90% of it off, cleaned it all up with mineral spirits and applied the eternabond. I’ll be keeping an eye on it for a while.
2018 Ram DRW 3500 6.7

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
I did enternabond over the Dicor.
Cleaned the Dicor first and then applied.
Eternabond is great stuff.
2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
It's very critical to not get any wrinkles in the Eternabond when you apply it. We applied it around our shower skylight due to leaks over the years. It worked, for awhile. Finally had a tech look at it. A wrinkle trapped water over time and then it slowly released. He had a heck of a time removing the Eternabond and replacing the skylight unit to fix it correctly. No problems since.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
I would seal the cracks wait about a month to make sure it cures and then eternabond over the seam.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
People have had good success either way, putting the Eternabond over the Dicor, or removing the Dicor. I removed it on my last trailer.

I'm planning on doing it on my current trailer and I think I'm going to go over the Dicor. I don't have any cracking yet.

As said above, good prep is critical. Eternabond has great instructional pages and videos.
Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
I shaved off the high spots of the dicor, then applied eternabond over the whole seam after cleaning with acetone. Been about 6 years now. Very pleased.
Brian

CincyGus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't discount Reenee's comments about PREPPING the surface well. Makes all the difference in a lasting repair.
2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

stro1965
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. I already have a roll of Eternabond and I’m sure it will hold up better than the goop.
2018 Ram DRW 3500 6.7

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, you do need to remove the old, gently and either reapply or use Eternabond. We did that. You can purchase a cleaner by Eternabond or use mineral spirits sparingly - sparingly. Wash off then apply the Eternabond.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
I’d go with Eternabond. The stuff works great!