cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Alabama State Park reservation system is awful

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
I gave up trying to find a period to schedule a visit to Gulf State Park Campground, online.

Being retired, I'm pretty flexible as to when I could go. I was just looking for a week or so in April or May, that would not interfere with families with school children.

After spending about an hour online, I thought I might have better luck by calling an agent on the phone. I was told that I had to give her a specific date of arrival and length of stay. I began spewing out dates but none had that many days available. I then said that I would accept two consecutive periods that would add up to 6 or 7 days by changing sites during my stay. That was even more difficult to search out. You can spend hours online or on the phone with an agent to accomplish something you can do on Reserve America in 5 minutes.

Comparing this to Florida Parks or COE parks, you can look at a park, see the list of vacancies by date and advance week to week until you find what you want.

The Alabama system looks like they paid someone back in the '90s to design the worst possible system they could come up with.
9 REPLIES 9

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Passport America costs $44 yr to join. They have over 1,700 campgrounds that participate and give a 50% discount off their normal rate. Each campground decides how many days the discount will apply, if it's valid every day of the week, or for example, only monday - friday, etc. You can look at the campgrounds on their website without being a member. There are a variety of types of campgrounds, including some resorts.

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
$44 a year for about 1800 campgrounds nationwide.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
Is Passport America free? If so, $15 sounds pretty good.

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
I paid over $100 to stay for two nights there... their extra fees and taxes add up fast.

Just noticed that I can stay at a private campground nearby with Passport America for $15 a night.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
I hate to say it, but you are right, the ALAPark reservation system is horrible. Also like someone else stated all the weekends are booked up. I tried to get a site for during the summer (I've got kids), and every site was booked on Fri/Sat night for the entire summer. There were a few sites that were available Mon-Fri.

Part of it may be due to the campgrounds that were damaged by the Hurricane that hit PCB last summer.

Also, Thanks for thinking about families with kids and trying to go at a time while school is in session. Campsites are hard to find during school holidays.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Merrykalia wrote:
TxGearhead wrote:
^^^It might be interesting to drive through a park that has no openings on a weekend to see if they all showed. Humankind being what it is, I bet there is a segment of our population that reserves a site well in advance so that if just on a whim they "might" go camping.

This is true, BUT.....

If they pay for it, they can do anything they want to with it. They can let it sit empty or use it, it makes no difference.

Unfortunately the reality is you are right however In an ideal world they should be able to do most anything they want except leave it vacant.

How about a triple the total weekend cost penalty if the site is left vacant the entire weekend?
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
TxGearhead wrote:
^^^It might be interesting to drive through a park that has no openings on a weekend to see if they all showed. Humankind being what it is, I bet there is a segment of our population that reserves a site well in advance so that if just on a whim they "might" go camping.

This is true, BUT.....

If they pay for it, they can do anything they want to with it. They can let it sit empty or use it, it makes no difference.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes -- noticing on other sites that people are reserving Fri & Sat nights which mean there is no consecutive 1 week or 2 week period of time you can book. So far at the parks this is happening at it seems the locals are booking weekends at the park. Both COE parks are within 20 miles of a city. We just left a COE park after 6 nights because there was not a single site out of 150 sites available for Sat night so we could book longer. If we had come back on Sunday we could have stayed until the next weekend and then same thing.