cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tow Bar for 4 down

Dream_Chaser_
Explorer
Explorer
What is the difference between a ball mounted simple A-frame and a $1500+ system?

How does the towed vehicle handle with each type of tow bar?

I am looking at a new-to-me vehicle that can be towed 4-down but I don't really want to spend another $2000 to get it behind my motor home.

Thanks
8 REPLIES 8

Dream_Chaser_
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for their suggestions. After a bit of research I was able to find a new (used once) Demco Excalbur tow bar for 1/3 of the original cost. Wish I could find a similar deal for the base plate.

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Personally,
I wouldn't have one of those ugly a$$ "A-frame" tow bars if ya gave it to me. We towed our first Jeep, a CJ-5 about 35 years ago and yep, a pain in the a.. to hook up. The design and ease of use of today's modern, collapsible tow bars is so superior to those ancient things, it's not even funny. After spending as much as many of us do, to get a nicely deserved motorhome, then a nice Jeep or whatever, don't cheapen out and get a junk tow bar. You can find great deals on Craigslist and other classifieds for used collapsible tow bars that are in great shape with many, many tow miles left on them.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
I have been towing Jeeps (and a Datsun diesel pickup) with a "crude A-frame" towbar for years. I hook it up to the motorhome by myself, using the "GOAL" (Get Out And Look) method, quite frequently.
When I decided to tow my Dodge 1500 pickup, it seemed the 5000 lb. capacity A-frame bar wasn't adequate, so I bought a Roadmaster Stowmaster towbar from craigslist, and had my neighbor craft the baseplates to fit. ($75).
That towbar is hanging on the shop wall. I didn't find it to be easier enough to work with to make it worth while.
When I got another Jeep to tow, I went back to the old towbar. IMO, it is simpler, easier, with very little to wear out or requiring lubrication (not even silicone spray!). I use the safety chains to keep it upright on the front of the Jeep, with a bungee cord to keep it from moving (yes, in my state that is legal).
Yes, I am quite happy with my "crude A-frame". IIRC, it cost me $145 (new) many years ago, and was made by Reese. My Roadmaster bar cost $250, used, then I had to do a lot of polishing and lubing to make it work fairly easily.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

77rollalong
Explorer
Explorer
I have towed with a crude a frame , and what a pita to line up. but only needed it to tow and antique car a few times. I now have a Saturn that I bought with a blue ox tow system setup , and what a difference to get hooked up.. I also have an extra Demco tow bar, very similar to hooking it up too..

folivier
Explorer
Explorer
I had an A-frame years ago on an old jeep. Very difficult to line up and hook up. I've been using a ReadyBrute Elite also and it is MUCH easier to hook up.
With the A-frame you had to do lots of jockeying back and forth to get the right position for hookup.
Look for used towbars and possibly used baseplates. Depending on which vehicle and if you're pretty handy the baseplate can be fairly easy to install.

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
I just spent the money myself. Wasn't fun.

However, the difference in A-frame to the fancy stuff isn't quite that much. With the A-frame, I assume you still need a base plate installed on the vehicle? If so, you're going to probably spend 600-1000? With a ReadyBrute Elite setup, I had $1600 in hardware.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Much easier to hook uo using an extendable tow bar. Another big difference between tow bars in the priceir is whether it is MH mounted or toad mounted. If you have a very light toad as in small car you want the most weight on MH, but if you have an SUV type vehicle it can be toad mounted.
You can find used tow bars on ebay or the like. Then the pricey portion is the brackets.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't notice any difference in towing down the road when I switched to a Blue Ox collapsible setup.

Hooking up and unhooking were MUCH easier with the Blue Ox. Also, the Blue Ox could be left on the RV stowed neatly.

It's a no brainier for me. When I get to the point of equipping to tow with my new rig I am going with a collapsible tow set up. Hopefully, I will find a deal on a gently used one.
2004.5 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, NV5400, 5" turbo back stainless exhaust, Edger programmer & 22.5 Alcoa's
2002 Forest River 36 5th Wheel (staying home)
1992 Jayco 29 5th Wheel (Mexico veteran & headed back)
2002 "faux" Wanderlodge 40' My new toy....