cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

1996 Damon Intruder 460 engine Issue Solved!!

dad4papa2
Explorer
Explorer
Back a few months ago I had started a thread about my Ford 460 Engine would start up and run 2 to 10 minutes and then just die as if the key was shut off. It had turned in to quite a lengthy Thread and so many great folks had posted ideas from their experiences or just their previous knowledge of this type of issues.

Well it went on for a few weeks and pictures were added along with many many suggestions all of which was great help to one who is somewhat challenged on engines.

Lots of questions pertained to how it was acting and was I thinking it was electrical or fuel related. Through the awesome help of this forum I was on my way to finding the problem.

To add a bit more information on the Motor Home it was a 1996 and I determined from posts on my thread that it was not OBDI or OBDII system but in fact was still in the EEC system that makes it a bit more challenging to detect the issue and pin down the problem. But I continued to check out every post that was added to my thread and finally after being advised to purchase an EEC tester and run a test on it did I really start to pin down the issue.

Still with the EEC Tester It was a challenge to figure out the little blinks of the light or catch all the beeps and pauses properly. I tried several times and just didn't get what I felt was a real code.

So I moved on and thought about why don't I take my ipad into the area and tape the lights and the beeping sounds. So I did just that and then I came into the house where it was much warmer and started watching my video. After several attempts it was still not making sense, but I just kept looking and listening and finally realized I could pause the video whenever I wanted to. Bingo I got what now looked like a true reading of the EEC tester.

It was showing me the 211 code. With my new tester I had received a book with the possible codes that I could get and the 211 code was right there. It was: "Profile Ignition Pick-up (PIP) sensor -circuit failure."

Wow this was a bit still over my head but through internet searches I found the answer and after looking at replacing the PIP sensor and pricing it out compared to buying the complete distributor I elected to purchase the new distributor.

Now it had turned bitter cold in north Missouri so I was put on hold for a while before I could get the distributor installed. But finally the weather broke and my mechanic came out and slipped it in for me.

A few minutes later and we hit the ignition and that baby was running and pretty much purring like a lion!!!! That 460 is no kitten!!!!

We have also set the timing with his Timing Light and think we have it really close. We were not totally positive as where the timing should be at for the MH so he timed it to something he had in a book about the 460 engines.

It is now up and running Very well but I do have a question.

What is the proper timing for this 460 engine???

I wanted to post this so it may help someone else in a time of needing help. It was a life saver for me when I needed the help and this forum stepped up and continued to support me in my search to get back on the road!!
Thanks so much to everyone that posted input to my issue. I can never Thank You enough!!
Dennis

On a final note my first thread in October 2018 had an issue with a couple of posts that became a bit of a shouting and name calling that in turn caused the thread to be closed. Now it may still be on here but it was sad to see this happen as there was a full library of comments on it that could possibly helped others figure out their problems. So with that being said I hope we all realize that name calling on the internet will do absolutely no good to anyone.

Thanks so much for all the earlier input!!

Dennis
Living The Dream- Not full timing but wintering in Texas
Lifes So Short--Let's go Rv'ing :W
10 REPLIES 10

MrWizard
That's what we do here, help each other,
I bought the Inova version
It displayed real code numbers on an LCD display and saved them in memory
My problem turned out to be a failing fuel pump in the gas tank
I installed an external full pump in the main fuel line, at the fuel filter on the driver's side of the frame ,, that was in June ,,,
But before I found the problem, I replaced the icm and the fuel pressure regulator !
It took me several months, in many cases the code number has several possible causes, and each one has to be checked and found to not be the reason for the error code,
Once I was convinced it was in fact, the worst possiblity, I had to figure a solution that did not require, having someone drop the gas tank and replace the pump,
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

dad4papa2
Explorer
Explorer
Your welcome for the thread posted. Hope it has helped you figure yours out.
A helpful tip for reading the meter . Mine was fast beeps and blinks and very hard to count and keep up with the pauses.
What I did was I videod them with my iPad then played it back and paused it while I wrote down the blinks. Sure helped me get the code figured out.
Hope this helps!
Dennis

MrWizard
thanks for this thread, went online and found a Ford EEC-iv code reader and extension cable

been trying to trouble shoot my Bounder 460 on a 96 chassis

its running VERY $H#$$Y
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, those EEC systems can be a pain if your not familiar with them. And yes, you have to disconnect the โ€œspoutโ€ connector to set base timing. Itโ€™s usually right near the distributor. A little plastic plug that disconnects the circuit for timing purposes.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

dad4papa2
Explorer
Explorer
Dodge Guy, Yep it starts and runs pretty good. No more dying!!!!
So glad I bought the Tester for the EEC to get that information.

PS: don't know if it is true or not but I was told at our parts store that the meter was being discontinued by the manufacturer from slow sales. Glad I got mine in time!!!

Dad

dad4papa2
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Much. I didn't know about the plug that has to be unhooked so I may check back with him. I did a test run and it seems to run very good but I haven't hooked my tow dolly and car up to it yet. Getting ready for a trip and I just want it to be in Great running condition.

Thanks for the input. Very much appreciated.

Dad

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, thatโ€™s what I thought it was all along! LOL
Good job in finding it! Should run way better now with a proper distributor and spark!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Krusty
Nomad
Nomad
It should be set to 10 degrees BTDC with the SPOUT connector disconnected. You may need a mirror to see the timing marks
Krusty
92 F-250 4x4 460 5spd 4.10LS Prodigy
97 Rustler RT190
EU2000i
Garmin

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mine book says 10 degrees. The guy that put it in for you should have that in his manual. There is a plug that has to be disconnected to set it and then plug back in. And timing should jump back close to 20 something.

cajun70586
Explorer
Explorer
I got off another sight. Hope it helps
I run my timing at 12 degrees and have no problems with pinging. You have to pull a plug that stops the computer from interfering when changing the timing. On my truck it is near the firewall, close to the fender well. it has a gray top and is not very big.