cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

GPS with marine-lake-river interface

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
I stopped using my old Garmin and became completely dependent on my iPhone navigation. Tried to use it but it is acting up and thus became unreliable with unuqdated maps.

Lately, I found myself unable to regain navigation in remote mountain roads in NorCal-Oregon border.

I'm on a search again and I found I need one for these sticky situations. And one for navigating in lakes and open waters to find my way back to my kayak launch sites or overnight camps.

I'll appreciate recommendations for those who have one.
9 REPLIES 9

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks @cross21114 and @BarneyS.

Yup, seriously considering buying the used one with possible downside that it will be in effect "disposable."

Called Garmin actually and they responded that their policy for these discontinued model is that they will (and are no longer) supported.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
Oops, it's no longer being manufactured and there is just no similar unit at Garmin.

Sad, since this one has boat, topo, off road...

I wonder why they stop it.

Here is a used one on eBay
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

cross21114
Explorer
Explorer
I have an old Garmin 478. This one has salt water marine maps but I know there was one which had fresh water maps (might be the 376). It works great in my RV, along side my 770. Easier to use for certain purposes than the 770. Great backcountry maps (had a dirt road in Arches NP on it, 770 did not). We were in the toad for that.

Check Amazon and Ebay for used models.
Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Last summer we took a houseboat vacation on Lake Cumberland, and Google Maps GPS guided us all over the lake, no problems.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
Oops, it's no longer being manufactured and there is just no similar unit at Garmin.

Sad, since this one has boat, topo, off road...

I wonder why they stop it.

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
Found it, Garmin Nuvi 500 for $299 a pop.

Aside from boat, it also have topo map for hiking, hunting...

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
I think my Garmin gpsmap62s does what you desire???????
bass pro/cabela's has that type of stuff,
bumpy

Thanks @Bumpyroad -- and reasonably priced too.

One question as I've been reluctant to buy these handheld devices because of small screen (I know, a trade off for portability specially when hiking.)

Have you used it for road navigation and were you not limited by screen size? Or, do you only use it when you lost contact on your main truck/car gps (iPhone, Google map, etc.)?

my main use is in the boat finding the way back home.
bumpy

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
bumpy

Thanks @Bumpyroad -- and reasonably priced too.

One question as I've been reluctant to buy these handheld devices because of small screen (I know, a trade off for portability specially when hiking.)

Have you used it for road navigation and were you not limited by screen size? Or, do you only use it when you lost contact on your main truck/car gps (iPhone, Google map, etc.)?

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
bumpy