cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

WFCO converter causing generator to rev up and down

rvkww
Explorer
Explorer
Hello I'm new here. I set up an off-grid system over a year ago and it's been working great. I recently got a backup WFCO converter in case the old one breaks down. Both are 55 amp wfco converters. The old one works perfectly with my generators. The new one causes the generators to rev up and down wildly as it appears the converter is cycling between absorption and bulk charge. I can get it to stop by turning the RPM screw on the generators down so low the load turns off and then turn the rpms back up. As soon as the voltage at the batteries hits 13.6 it starts the cycling again without fully charging the batteries. The only thing I've been able to find on this was possibly a "shorted battery cell and other problems". I'm interested in what these other problems might be and any idea someone here might have.
16 REPLIES 16

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
I Looooooooove the heatsinks out of the Wiifiipoo's.

Do tell, are they tasty?

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I Looooooooove the heatsinks out of the Wiifiipoo's.

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
I bet those would do great as a catfish shocker :B

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a BRAND NEW functioning convertor out of an 8955... if you're stuck on boat anchors.

I replaced mine with progressive dynamics 4655L Wildkat only available from Best Converter.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
IOTA has a dual IQ controller to coordinate a pair of converters for up to 180 amps of charging.

IQ4 options

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
rvkww wrote:
I recently got a backup WFCO converter in case the old one breaks down. Both are 55 amp wfco converters.

You haven't told us just which model WFCO you have but a good guess would be an 8955. If so the question is why you would buy another boat anchor when a far better replacement is available that will correctly bulk charge your battery, unlike a WFCO.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
azrving wrote:
How many wfco's does it take to make a boat anchor?

A LOT ๐Ÿ™‚

Depends totally on how much concrete you encase it in.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
rvkww wrote:
Thanks for the info., you folks are great. Anyone want to buy a boat anchor? ??

Joking aside we love to help people out. Wfco often times won't go to 14.4 unless the battery is very low or they don't hold that voltage as long as needed. If you are sitting on a cord after traveling 13.6 will bring the battery back up but it takes a good deal of time.

People often times just move on and put the money into a PD or whatever. When running on a generator it's all about cutting run time so 14.4 is mandatory and many choose to buy a unit that does 14.8.

For Trojan wet cells they suggest 14.8 daily charges, so people often like buying good quality Trojans but don't realize what Trojan suggests.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
azrving wrote:

A LOT ๐Ÿ™‚

2. the Wfco and the owner......:S

Best thing to do with one is not buy it. Total junk.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

rvkww
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info., you folks are great. Anyone want to buy a boat anchor? ??

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
azrving wrote:

A LOT ๐Ÿ™‚

Fully disagree.

It only takes one WFCO to be a boat anchor... just that it has to be a very small boat.
I love me some land yachting

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
How often do you see 14.4 volts going into your battery? If working as expected the voltage would cruise right on past 13.6 and go to 14.4 volts and hold 4 hours from the time you start the generator.

Consider a different converter. I recommend Progressive Dynamics or IOTA. Post the battery type, brand, voltage, capacity for best recommendations.

Most WFCO do not perform as expected or as advertised. In a sense defective right out of the box.