cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dual A/C's, but only 1 duct line

Cocky_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
Friday, I run the generator to exercise it and ran the A/C's. When I was running just the front one, I noticed the air was barely coming out the rear ducts also, then vice versa when I ran just the rear unit. I stuck a flashlight in one of vents and discovered that what I observed was true.

Is it common to have dual A/C's and for them to be connected to one set of duct lines? In the hot and humid summers in the south, the front seems to get a little warmer at times, especially with kids opening the door every 10 minutes. Would it be okay if I was to place some duct tape in the ducts to separate the ducts for each unit? If I keep all the front a/c air blowing in the front of the coach, I figured that may help more.

Thanks!
2004 Sea Breeze by National RV - 8341

Former Coaches:
2006 Keystone Zeppeline 291 - TT
2000 Aerolite Cub F21 - Hybrid TT
1991 Coleman Pop Up

Formerly known as: hybrid_camper
15 REPLIES 15

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
Same in my 2017 Greyhawk. Turning on the second AC just doubles the output volume in the single duct. But it doesn't do it exactly evenly. With a single AC, there is more resistance to flow the longer the duct is toward the non running AC. It's much the same in forced air heat/AC in our stick houses. The room farthest from the AC/Heat fan get's the least volume.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

Fulltimers
Explorer
Explorer
We like to run the front air when sleeping. This way we get the air through the duct to the bedroom but less noise.
Fulltimers
Fulltimers Weblog

2003 Rexhall Aerbus 3550BSL
W-22 Workhorse
2005 Saturn Vue (Mr. Toad)
3.5L V6 Automatic

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes it is very common for both units to share the same ducts.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
We have two heat pumps on one duct system. We have dual zone controls and if the front is we get some good low in the rear and vice versa. We have sliding vanes on the five vents to adjust the flow.
If you don't have adjustable vents it is easy to change them out, if you can find them. I'm sure some Dealers catalog has them.

Cocky_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
I have NEVER seen a Ducted RV have 2 separate ducts. When you have just 1 AC running, you can run the other AC on FAN only to get cool air to the AC not running. Except for this post, I have never had anyone notice or complain about the One Duct system in 25 years. Doug

I wasn't complaining, but just didn't know this was common. I assumed the the 2nd a/c may had been added later, but it guess not. I never really paid much attention, and assumed that it was completely separate duct systems. But, this does make sense to run one and run the other unit on fan if on a 30amp site.

Former Coaches:
1991 Coleman Pop Up

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I’ve noticed this on other RV’s and expect it. I plan on running both when I have 50A service. And with mine the previous owner had a nice padded cover fabricated to replace the stock interior AC vent cover. This way you could have the AC on and not hear the drone of the AC above you!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

2manytoyz
Explorer
Explorer
This is also a plus when you end up with only a 30A site, and can only run 1 A/C. Though not as effective, it does blow cold air throughout the entire coach.
Robert
Merritt Island, FL
2023 Thor Quantum KW29
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TOAD
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon TOAD
Falcon 2 Towbar, Roadmaster 9400 Even Brake System
http://www.2manytoyz.com/

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
I have NEVER seen a Ducted RV have 2 separate ducts. When you have just 1 AC running, you can run the other AC on FAN only to get cool air to the AC not running. Except for this post, I have never had anyone notice or complain about the One Duct system in 25 years. Doug

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
Yep. And in fact, the "ducts" in my rig are actually plenum channels cut into the ceiling insulation and directed to the interior of the coach by the vent covers. Seems to work just fine for us.
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

Cocky_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
I did not realize that this is normal for RV's.

Former Coaches:
1991 Coleman Pop Up

FloridaRosebud
Explorer
Explorer
Cocky_Camper wrote:
Friday, I run the generator to exercise it and ran the A/C's. When I was running just the front one, I noticed the air was barely coming out the rear ducts also, then vice versa when I ran just the rear unit. I stuck a flashlight in one of vents and discovered that what I observed was true.

Is it common to have dual A/C's and for them to be connected to one set of duct lines? In the hot and humid summers in the south, the front seems to get a little warmer at times, especially with kids opening the door every 10 minutes. Would it be okay if I was to place some duct tape in the ducts to separate the ducts for each unit? If I keep all the front a/c air blowing in the front of the coach, I figured that may help more.

Thanks!

Yep, ours is set up the same way - 2 A/C units, one duct system.

Al

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
Depending how you are parked in relation to the sun, particularly the west sun, I would not try to block any duct. If it is hot enough for a need for air conditioning I’d just run both. If it is like ours when the thermostat is satisfied it will shut down the appropriate unit. If really hot our rear unit could cool the bed room way down and the front one, running continuously could not quite keep up. We turned the bed room way down it and used a 9inch fan on the floor of the bed room and circulated air from the back to living area. Any way I’d run both and set the thermostat at the desired temp and leave it alone.
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
Its a rv not a home they all run in the same duct work in a rv

Cocky_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
larry cad wrote:
We have the same situation in our 40'. We typically have only one AC on at a time. Night time we use the front one, and keep the front vents closed so it blows into the bedroom (quietly). Daytime we run the rear AC with the rear vents closed. Again, it is quiet in the front. Seems to work well for us. If it really gets warm, we can run both with what ever vents we need at the time.

90% of the time, we always run both A/C's at one time. Never knowing noticing only 1 set of ducts.

Former Coaches:
1991 Coleman Pop Up