cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Engine Starting Battery

RoaminRichards
Explorer
Explorer
I need to replace my lead acid engine starting battery. Just looking for recommendations on what your choice is for a new lead acid battery. Any advice would be appreciated.
15 REPLIES 15

AikenRacer
Explorer
Explorer
Keep Batteries Plus store in mind......that's where all mine come from
2012 Tuscany 42RQ tag
2005 Silverado 2500 w/ piggy back golf cart

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think maintenance is more important that brand of batteries. Case in point my first set of batteries were Trojan's for both starting and house batteries. I dry camp 95% of the time and these batteries lasted 4 years. My next set were Sam's club for the house and Walmart for the chassis. These were almost half the cost of the Trojans. The chassis battery from Walmart lasted 9 years and the house batteries are 12 years old and still going strong. When I charge the house batteries I also charge the chassis battery. On my tow car I just let the alternator charge the battery and get about 4 years out of those. I chose Walmart for the chassis battery because there are Walmart's where ever I travel. Twice I replaced my Tow car battery when out of state in a Walmart parking lot. The newer ones have a 5 year warranty.

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
Chum lee wrote:

"In general, buy the most expensive name brand nationally available battery you can afford that has the longest unconditional 100% free replacement warranty. Pay less attention to the pro rated portion of the battery warranty, but, it is important."

Theoldwizard1 responded:

"Good advice, but the batteries sold at Sams and Costco pretty much match or beat all major brands."

I guess I wasn't clear enough. IMO, Sam's Club, Costco, WalMart, etc., are what I consider to be "name brand national retailers" so anything they sell could be considered a national brand, just by definition. (consider their sales volume and national distribution network) (important for RVer's because they tend to travel more) Of course, it goes without saying that you should shop for the best price as part of your battery selection/purchase process.

OK, are we done re-splitting previously split hairs or need we go on?

Chum lee

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
time2roll wrote:
For superior performance and long life consider Odyssey AGM battery.
For economy consider Costco.

What size?

I once bought into that "Longer life" myth

Turns out they were the fastest dying batteries in the RV
AND. what's more I set 'em up with their own charger programmed for AGM's (Independent of the Flooded Wet House Battery Bank)

I was not pleased
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
How to make your signature so we can serve you better:

1. Log on and click "My Preferences".
2. On the "My Preferences" page click the middle box and enter your rig info.
3. Scroll to the bottom and click "Submit Changes"
4. Exit and you're done.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
[]Now DEKA (East Penn Battery) is a MADE IN THE USA product right down to the lead that forms the plates. They make it in house (They own the smelting plant) no other battery company that I know of can say that. I've been happy so far battery is 5 years old now.. Shows no signs of aging that I can detect from driver's seat.. Old (OEM) batteries lasted 9 years.

This link is from 12/2013. There are no longer any lead smelting plants in the U.S.https://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2013/12/23/the-last-lead-smelter-in-the-us-closes-because-t...
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
For superior performance and long life consider Odyssey AGM battery.
For economy consider Costco.

What size?

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
Well Sam's has good prices on batteries if you are already a member. COSTCO is #2 on the list with the same caravat. Since I'm not a member I went with DEKA

Sams sell Duracell lead acid batteries which are made by East Penn/DEKA.

COSTCO sells Interstate Batteries which come from one of the major US lead acid battery companies (there are only a hand full).

Chum lee wrote:
In general, buy the most expensive name brand nationally available battery you can afford that has the longest unconditional 100% free replacement warranty. Pay less attention to the pro rated portion of the battery warranty, but, it is important.

Good advice, but the batteries sold at Sams and Costco pretty much match or beat all major brands.

dubdub07
Explorer
Explorer
This is interesting, my engine batteries are two 12V sealed batteries.
2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
TOADS: 12 Jeep JKUR Wrangler, 16 Cherokee Trailhawk, 15 Grand Cherokee, 13 RAM 1500 Longhorn (not a toad) American STEEL = American profits
RET USAF MSGT (26yrs) and still DoD ATC.
DW,DS,DD in the MH w/Westley the killer PUG!

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
In general, buy the most expensive name brand nationally available battery you can afford that has the longest unconditional 100% free replacement warranty. Pay less attention to the pro rated portion of the battery warranty, but, it is important.

The CCA rating should be equal to or greater than the battery that came in the vehicle. The higher the CCA rating, the better.

You have to decide whether you want (can afford) lead/acid, maintenance free, AGM, or, ?. Generally you get what you pay for, but, every battery manufacturer occasionally has a super nova and unfortunately, also leaves a few turds in the punch bowl.

Chum lee

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, we have no idea what kind of coach/ what kind or size engine you have. Advice for a Ford V10 will be significantly different than a Cummins M11.

Basics are to make sure that the batteries meet the CCA for YOUR engine.

In many cases, fit the largest battery/batteries that will fit your chassis battery location.

Whether wet cell or AGM depends on accessibility to checking water level and your desire to do it.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well Sam's has good prices on batteries if you are already a member. COSTCO is #2 on the list with the same caravat. Since I'm not a member I went with DEKA

Now DEKA (East Penn Battery) is a MADE IN THE USA product right down to the lead that forms the plates. They make it in house (They own the smelting plant) no other battery company that I know of can say that. I've been happy so far battery is 5 years old now.. Shows no signs of aging that I can detect from driver's seat.. Old (OEM) batteries lasted 9 years.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
wal mart deep cycle marine starting battery ,8years and still starting .and if it goes bad ? theres a wally world on every corner.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
How long has the current battery been working? Any reason not to replace it with the same brand? I donโ€™t have any recommendation but Iโ€™m sure youโ€™ll get plenty of input.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT