cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2007 HR Imperial 43DSQ parked in '09 and not started-moved

proost
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone, first post here and could use some brain trust input.

I just moved my coach to a new location and next to us is a 2007 Holiday Rambler Imperial 43DSQ that was parked in 2009 and basically left - not started or maintained. Covered from sun exposure but still outside. The facility manager says it hasn't been touched but the bills are getting paid. Looks decent on the exterior but 10 years!!

My wife and I are interested in possibly asking to purchase and taking it on as a project but we have no idea what to offer. Any thoughts? NADA shows $125-$150k and we're seeing them sell closer to the lower range online. That said, this one is almost on all flats and hasn't moved, been started, or cared for. We're thinking the original owner passed and his estate or spouse is just making the storage payments. It's heartbreaking.

Of course we'd have it thoroughly inspected but sitting for that long breeds plenty of gremlins that may stay hidden for years beyond the inevitable fluids, seals, fuel, gaskets, all of it. We anticipate at least $20K above purchase to get her up and running again but don't honestly feel that it would be as easy as just subtracting that from any fair market value because of the neglect.

Thanks again and Happy Easter 2019!
12 REPLIES 12

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
proost wrote:
Hey everyone, thanks a lot for the comments. It is exposed to the heat here in the AZ valley but not the sun. it's under dark cover and so from the exterior, really not as baked as it could be. THAT SAID, they don't want to sell. Apparently it's the son who will probably 'trade it in someday.' I simply cannot fathom anyone just doing nothing with it....a 2-year old beautiful coach....when it was parked. Such a bummer.

Thankfully, we have a beautiful coach that we love and I'm going to translate my frustration into some new flooring and some preventive maintenance. ha ha!!

Typical. When the time comes and he want to trade it in they are going to give him nothing and he will say the dealer is trying to take advantage of him because it was used for only 2 years and has low miles!

I too would take out your frustration on your current MH. It will thank you for it!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

proost
Explorer
Explorer
Hey everyone, thanks a lot for the comments. It is exposed to the heat here in the AZ valley but not the sun. it's under dark cover and so from the exterior, really not as baked as it could be. THAT SAID, they don't want to sell. Apparently it's the son who will probably 'trade it in someday.' I simply cannot fathom anyone just doing nothing with it....a 2-year old beautiful coach....when it was parked. Such a bummer.

Thankfully, we have a beautiful coach that we love and I'm going to translate my frustration into some new flooring and some preventive maintenance. ha ha!!

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Buy it cheap, drive it home. Spit and polish and advertise it on eBay. Low mileage coach... :)....(TIC).... Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

catkins
Explorer
Explorer
New tires $5-65K likely, old fuel pumped out and changed, all new fuel and transmission filters, transmission fluid replaced, brake fluid replaced, replace all belts and hoses, brakes checked and repaired, radiator rinsed and filled, recaulk roof and sides, wiring checked for rodent/heat damage, check for unseen water damage with soft spots of roof/floor, air bags(?) checked, levelers checked and serviced as needed, new batteries engine and house, generator checked out and serviced - likely needs work to get it running, and the list goes on.................just a small start of the potentially massive to do list. Unless you are extremely mechanical, this could be a real money pit. Too many unknowns. Water damage, heat damage, bugs and critter damage? In AZ anything rubber or plastic gets brittle due to extreme heat. Upholstery and curtains will have taken a beating too. Buyer beware is really critical here! My first instinct is to pass. If still considering, get it inspected both mechanically and RV systems.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like National Lampoon's vacation MH to me. I'd pass. Money pit 110%
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Proost, it does sound interesting and if at the right price, it might be a good buy (meaning.....super low).

You never know, the owner might want it gone NOW!, they just don't know how to do it. Tires are going to be at least $5,500-$6,000.

Keep us posted, at least it was under cover, being outside is not a plus.

Good luck,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

hypoxia
Explorer
Explorer
proost wrote:
I just moved my coach to a new location and next to us is a 2007 Holiday Rambler Imperial 43DSQ that was parked in 2009 and basically left - not started or maintained. Covered from sun exposure but still outside.That said, this one is almost on all flats and hasn't moved, been started, or cared for.

Of course we'd have it thoroughly inspected but sitting for that long breeds plenty of gremlins that may stay hidden for years beyond the inevitable fluids, seals, fuel, gaskets, all of it. We anticipate at least $20K above purchase to get her up and running again but don't honestly feel that it would be as easy as just subtracting that from any fair market value because of the neglect.

Assuming Phoenix area under cover, the main visible damage would be sun exposure and heat to body and interior. Are you doing the work or the $150/hour shop? If you are not doing the work don't even consider it. The engine and drive train are going to go through lots of hours of labor and material.
Jim

2007 Monaco Signature Noble III ISX 600HP

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not quite the same model but it should give you an idea about pricing. The highest bid received for this 2007 coach was $46,100 and it is apparently in good condition and ready to go. It was a "no sale" at that amount but it gives you some idea of what the buyers are thinking on an older coach since it received 25 bids. 2007 Holiday Rambler
This coach was re-listed so you need to look at "completed auctions" to see it.

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
The problem with RVs that sit unattended is that a small roof leak can do horrendous damage over the course of 10 years. Occupied ones have the leaks noticed and fixed but this one..... I'd sure pass.

Bruce_Brown
Sounds like a fun project to me, but off the top of my head I'm thinking closer to the $15-20k range, and thats if the interior is good.

It may be a gem, it may be a money pit. I'd plan on option B and offer accordingly.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I’m partial to the big Monaco products on the RR10S chassis but not the bath and a half floorplan. $80K max if rats have not been living in it, not in the serial # below, and if the AquaHot system was properly winterized...RV antifreeze was pumped into the domestic hot water side of the system. There are copper coils around the burner that cannot be protected any other way. The ISL engine may be in the wrist pin recall # and the rig probably does not have enough miles on it so maybe it will not put a hole in the side of the block. The serial # is on the side of the valve cover. Amazing what all rats can eat up...wiring in particular.

BETWEEN OCTOBER 17, 2005, AND APRIL 18, 2006, WITH ENGINE SERIAL NUMBER RANGE FROM 46543077 TO 46603939

Hopefully it’s not for sale.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

Rbertalotto
Explorer
Explorer
Yikes....buy an old Mustang if you want something to rescue. Some of these Motorhome need “rescuing” as soon as you drive off the lot. Never mind sitting outside for 10 years. No way would I get involved.
RoyB
Dartmouth, MA
2021 RAM 2500 4X4 6.4L
2011 Forest River Grey Wolf Cherokee 19RR
520 w solar-200ah Renogy Li-Epever MPPT