cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Propane Line capping?

Mini_Pig
Explorer
Explorer
Hi. I recently bought a used truck camper. It had a fridge and a stove. The fridge did not work, but as far as I can tell, the stove does. I removed the fridge, but now I have an open propane line. I know I can just run a single line now and that's the ultimate goal.

But in the mean time, can I use a ball valve water line shut off to cap the old line to the old fridge?
By cutting the nut part off and putting the ball valve fitting on the end. Which would in theory work. My thought is, if the ball valve can stop water, would it stop propane?
18 REPLIES 18

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Mini Pig wrote:
I think i found it. https://www.homedepot.ca/product/sioux-chief-3-8-inch-lead-free-brass-flare-plug/1001002801?eid=PS_GOOGLE_In-Store %7C DSA %7C All Pages_All Pages_b_DYNAMIC SEARCH ADS_aud-834332768552:dsa-19959388920&gclsrc=aw.ds&gclid=CjwKCAjw7_rlBRBaEiwAc23rhmOx2jAx-wkitOI2noZQD1dL7GTHDTUHW7V64amVwh7_X0RN026ZJRoC4KEQAvD_BwE

"Mini Pig" - now that you found the item you needed - you might work on
"How to" add a link to a message!..:R

It's the icon at the top that looks like goggles.

:C

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Mini Pig wrote:
Finally found the correct plug, thank to the help off here! All installed and will test soon. I'll use soapy water to check for a leak. But i doubt there will be a problem.

after soapy water rinse the copper with clean water. Soapy water degrades copper lines.

Mini_Pig
Explorer
Explorer
Finally found the correct plug, thank to the help off here! All installed and will test soon. I'll use soapy water to check for a leak. But i doubt there will be a problem.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
philh wrote:
Horsedoc wrote:
if you don't ever intend to replace the fridge, then simply fold the copper tube over and solder then end.

Not in a million years would I recommend "folding over" a gas line. Too much risk in cracking the copper at the fold line.

I thought it was funny. he said "simply". What is simpler than getting a 3/8 brass plug and using 2 wrench's to install??????? Besides, you just Cut the end off and smash the round end and then solder if you want to go that route. But I would also never do that. Doug

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Horsedoc wrote:
if you don't ever intend to replace the fridge, then simply fold the copper tube over and solder then end.

Not in a million years would I recommend "folding over" a gas line. Too much risk in cracking the copper at the fold line.

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
It is a 3/8 inch BRASS flare cap/plug. Just like the pic posted earlier. Doug

Mini_Pig
Explorer
Explorer
I think i found it. https://www.homedepot.ca/product/sioux-chief-3-8-inch-lead-free-brass-flare-plug/1001002801?eid=PS_GOOGLE_In-Store %7C DSA %7C All Pages_All Pages_b_DYNAMIC SEARCH ADS_aud-834332768552:dsa-19959388920&gclsrc=aw.ds&gclid=CjwKCAjw7_rlBRBaEiwAc23rhmOx2jAx-wkitOI2noZQD1dL7GTHDTUHW7V64amVwh7_X0RN026ZJRoC4KEQAvD_BwE

Mini_Pig
Explorer
Explorer
So I went to home depot and they were useless. Does anyone have a part number or size and thread description I could use? Normally I would take the part in, but it's attached to the camper. Lol. Thanks for the help so far as well!

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
philh wrote:
Valve by itself is not legal... it still needs a plug installed.

Unless you call it a "low pressure propane port."
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Valve by itself is not legal... it still needs a plug installed.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
3/8" gas plug..done
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Standard fitting hardware will have the plug you need. Any hardware. IF you still have it take the solenoid valve from the fridge. Else measure the nut's opening
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Ivylog wrote:
You can buy a male copper plug that goes into the nut on the end of the line at H Depot.

This is the easiest/cheapest and BEST way to cap off a LP line. Doug

PS, BRASS, not copper:B