cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Flexible Solar panel performance

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
Can I get some feedback from people that have had flexible solar panels 2 years or more? I would like to know how they are holding up, performance and visual. It seems to like they are a lot easier and safer to install than rigid panels but I have heard that they don't hold up well.
7 REPLIES 7

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
chuckbear wrote:
Scratches develope from dirt, weather, leaves, tree branches, scrub brushes and just about anything else. They also degrade from UV and will eventually look like they are fogged over. Chuck

Yes. This is clear plastic cover, not a glass like on rigid panels. When there are no leaves and branches, like in desert, there is a lot of dust accumulation. Sand particles can be abrasive.

IMO, there is rarely a scenario in RVs where a rigid panel could not be installed.

chuckbear
Explorer
Explorer
Most installs I did were on fiberglass tops and soft covers like biminis. There were always issues with dirt getting under them and discoloring the fabric and abrading the fiberglass. They will need to be removable to clean under them. Not an issue and 10 knots, but could be at 65 MPH. I can imagine a lot of movement at those speeds.Chuck

mbutts
Explorer
Explorer
Chuck,

Did you see any problems with the surface the flexible panels were mounted to? It seems like there would be a LOT of heat transferred to the roof or deck or wherever they are mounted.
Mike Butts
DW+DD+DS+Poodles
2017 Forest River Forester 3011DS (first MH!)
Previously 1999 Coleman Santa Fe pop-up, 2007 Kodiak 23SS hybrid, 2013 Sunset Trail 29SS travel trailer

chuckbear
Explorer
Explorer
Scratches develope from dirt, weather, leaves, tree branches, scrub brushes and just about anything else. They also degrade from UV and will eventually look like they are fogged over. Chuck

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
chuckbear wrote:
I installed and used flexible panels in the marine industry for decades. They do not have the same output as solid panels and scratch easily so the output is degraded even more. They also don't have the same longevity. I stopped installing them. Chuck

What sorts of things scratch them or more importantly am I likely to encounter the same things with my RV? It is rare for me to get on the roof of mine. Longevity is exactly what I am asking about. Would you please elaborate? How long did they last and what killed them?

chuckbear
Explorer
Explorer
I installed and used flexible panels in the marine industry for decades. They do not have the same output as solid panels and scratch easily so the output is degraded even more. They also don't have the same longevity. I stopped installing them. Chuck

RickLight
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'd also love to know.
Planning solar addition, but not in a hurry.
Rick,

2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 273MK
2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
PullRite Superglide