cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

WFCO Retrofit?

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
Did I read somewhere on one of these posts that Progressive Dynamics makes an retrofit type unit that you can just replace the converter part of the unit an leave all the panel stuff alone pretty much?

Thanks
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!
11 REPLIES 11

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just There wrote:
philh wrote:
I literally just replaced with best converters PD4655L Wildkat.

Fairly simple install, once I figured out WFCO wires were run around the circuit board.

If I understand correctly, that model is specifically for Lithium, but has an internal toggle for Lead-acid batteries?

Lead acid or Lithium

Just_There
Explorer
Explorer
philh wrote:

Fairly simple install, once I figured out WFCO wires were run around the circuit board.

If I understand correctly, that model is specifically for Lithium, but has an internal toggle for Lead-acid batteries?

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I removed my new wfco and replaced it with a Progressive Dynamics. As stated many times, I think that a lot of wfco converters don't work properly even when new. I know that mine did not. I ran my battery down on purpose by running some 12 volt stuff in the backyard. No matter how low I ran the battery, the wfco never charged at more than 13.6 volts.
I got a crazy price on the new PD and it took about an hour to install it. The new PD started at 13.6 volts and then jumped to 14.6 in a couple of seconds. It stayed there for a couple of hours and then switched to lower voltage.
This was the first modification I did to my new TT when I bought it.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
THe 4600 Line of converters from Progressive DYnamics .. The unit is designed to be a bolt in replacement for man "Integrated" converters.. Basic chassis and box (optional use) with leads.. The difference between the 4600 and the 9200 is mostly the case.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Back in 2008 when I got my StarCraft 14R/T OFF ROAD POPUP it came with one of those single mode 13.6VDC Charger units. After I lost one of my four batteries by being over charged I replaced this unit with a WFCO 8900 Series Power Distribution Unit. This came with the WFCO WF8945 Smart Mode Converter unit. After a quick install and powered things up I found the WFCO 8945 Converter would never go into smart mode charging no matter what I tried. It seems back then this was a very well documented problem with the WFCO prudcutsโ€ฆ

I eventually gave up on the WF8945 Converter and replaced it with the Progressive Dynamics PD9260C unit which has worked flawlessly ever since keeping my 255AH Battery bank charged up...

Although the PD9260C would fit in the bottom compartment of the WFCO 8900 series panel I elected to keep the 'Brand New" WF8945 chassis installed and mounted the PD9260C Chassis standalone closer to the battery bank. I can use either converter unit by just turning it ON/OFF with the 120VAC Circuit breaker for each unit. This give me a 13.6VDC Backup source if needed...

BEST CONVERTERS will mix up their products if this is what you want to have...

I have no problem whatsoever with the WFCO 8900 Series Power Distribution Unit. It has five full size circuit breaker slots where I have one full size master 30A Circuit Breaker and in the other four large slots I have half size circuit breakers installed giving me eight additional 120VAC circuit breakers to use. This WFCO 8900 series also have eleven DC Fused positions for the 12VDC side along with two FUSE positions for the REVERSE POLARITY 12VDC Fuses...

All worked out good for me using this setup....

I don't know if the WFCO Products still have their problems with doing the smart modes when charging batteries or not... I see they still keep coming out with the new RV trailers... My Progressive Dynamics unit starts out in smart mode when first turned on and also has a remote control unit to place it in the smart mode operation at anytime... Takes very good care of my batteries for me... My three remaining 12V 85AH batteries lasted from late 2008 to 2014 where the batteries just would not hold their charge very long any more...

I haven't been doing much RV camping since 2014 and just now working on my replacement battery bank. I am going with two groups of GC2 6V batteries in series giving me over 400AH of capacity. I will be using a TORKLIFT 54-inch battery box and it fits perfect using the same battery rails my original four 85AH Interstates were sitting in. Going to work out great for me for sure...

Roy's image

google image

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
Vintage465 wrote:
Did I read somewhere on one of these posts that Progressive Dynamics makes an retrofit type unit that you can just replace the converter part of the unit an leave all the panel stuff alone pretty much?

Thanks

yup, been their, done that on two WFCO units. I even added a remote pendant so I could force it to Boost mode.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
http://www.bestconverter.com/Replacement-Lower-Converter-Assembly-for-WFCO-8955_c_196.html
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

grizzzman
Explorer
Explorer
google bestconverter look at all your choices.
2019 Ford F150 EcoBoost SuperCrew
2016 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S. TM2030 SC2030
640 Watts Solar. Costco CG2 208 AH and Lifepo4 3P4S 150 AH Hybrid. ElectroDacus. Renolagy DC to DC charger. 2000 Watt Inverter.
Boondocking is my Deal

Just_There
Explorer
Explorer
Yes they do. I have not done this yet, but plan to. If you do not see exactly what you need on their web-site it is well worth a telephone call. Some options are not clear or not listed, but the techs are very knowledgeable and helpful. There is also some very clear instructions on how to do the replacement. Looks pretty straight forward.