cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Picking up a new 5er

klr650goldwing
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone have a decent checklist for use when picking up a new trailer. We have one, but a few heads are better than one etc. I know I'll forget a few things if I do it by myself. Thanks in advance.
2014 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
2017 F350 6.7 DRW CC LB 4X4
2012 Mercedes E550
2010 Honda Civic
2009 Saab 93 Aero Convertible
2004 Honda Goldwing GL1800
2004 Kawasaki KLR650
1966 Honda 305 Dream
8 REPLIES 8

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bring a creeper, and go all under it, and make sure it is sealed for mice, or chipmunks.
Check all exposed gas lines, and for potential rubbing on frame, from the propane tanks back.
Definitely get on the roof, and check the dicor caulking around all penetrations, and the front cap.
Get some Max air vent covers if it doesn't have them.

aruba5er
Explorer
Explorer
Start by turning on the refer so it can cool while you do the rest of the things. Put water into tank {fresh tank} turn on pump and run water to all faucets and if outside shower don;t forget it. then have them run a hose so you are on city pressuer. then look for leaks. Every one of my rv's have had a water problem that is not discovered during pdi. No one hooks up water. My present one the outdoor shower was broken. It froze because someone didn't flush out the clear water when adding pink. Run 120 volts to unit and make sure all appliances, etc. work.
Don't let them tell you it's too much work or we haven't the time. It's your money and it will be hard to get them to fix it once you leave. Hold the check or at least a goodly portion of it until you are satisfied. My fifth wheel had issues and the owner of the business wanted to charge me to repair them. It was brand new. I told him go to hell, that I wanted my check back and that I would come back in4 days to pick it up or the deal was off. Money talks because it was fixed and we had an excellant camper for 16 years.

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats on the new fiver! What did you buy?

I agree with the other posters and also make sure you give the interior a good going over. Ensure all doors, drawers, cabinets, etc operate correctly. Look over the shower stall carefully to ensure itโ€™s properly sealed.

On the exterior, look at every window, door, appliance opening to ensure they are properly caulked.

The dealer should ensure that all of the appliances are working properly but I would still ask to ensure that it has been done.

Good luck and please keep us posted!
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

klr650goldwing
Explorer
Explorer
We would prefer any complete list as opposed to a short, quick list. We want to check out every detail about the 5er and prefer not to trust our memory in order to do that. So, if you have a check list, we'd like to see it. Thanks.
2014 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
2017 F350 6.7 DRW CC LB 4X4
2012 Mercedes E550
2010 Honda Civic
2009 Saab 93 Aero Convertible
2004 Honda Goldwing GL1800
2004 Kawasaki KLR650
1966 Honda 305 Dream

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
How much time do you want to spend doing a PDI? Fellow HL club member has a very extensive PDI list that will take you sometime to complete, but it's very through.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Click here and scroll down to #2 for a long list of different kinds of checklists. ๐Ÿ™‚
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

2naEagle
Explorer
Explorer
This is from the Jayco Owners forum. PDI
2020 F350 Limited CCSB SRW
2017 North Point 315RLTS
2021 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
If you're talking about when you pick it up at the dealer, make sure you get up on a ladder and look for cracks in the Gel Coat on the nose of the RV. While you're at it, get on the roof and check things out. I thought I had done a pretty thorough job of making sure everything was fine when I bought mine but never thought to do that. When I got it home and decided to give it a good waxing, I noticed all these spider cracks in the Gel Coat. You can't see them from the ground but they sure can be seen up close on a ladder! If you're not spry enough to check yourself, bring someone with you that you trust that can do it for you. What a nightmare I've had trying to get things fixed!
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.