cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

water heater bypass

njtony
Explorer
Explorer
After my first time winterizing last fall, I questened the placement of the water heater shutoff and bypass valves. My hot and cold valves are placed before the bypass valve. Is this correct?
8 REPLIES 8

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Yes,my apologizes for derailing thread.

It helps the less experienced to return all cutoff/bypass valves back to there home position while memory is fresh.lol

Prevents frying an element in the spring or asking " what happened to my water pressure ".....yes some rinsing required.

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
kellem wrote:
On a side note:

Something I always tell other RV's and friends I actually winterize for.

As soon as you winterize your trailer you can instantly de-winterize and return all valves back to operating position as all your really doing is displacing water.

Yes,I'm saying run RV antifreeze through all the lines then simply drain it back out.
Been doing like this for over 20 years.
Now that's an interesting point. Once all of the water has been displaced by anti-freeze, that anti freeze can then be drained. Still have to rinse the residual anti-freeze come time to start camping again, but...
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
On a side note:

Something I always tell other RV's and friends I actually winterize for.

As soon as you winterize your trailer you can instantly de-winterize and return all valves back to operating position as all your really doing is displacing water.

Yes,I'm saying run RV antifreeze through all the lines then simply drain it back out.
Been doing like this for over 20 years.

njtony
Explorer
Explorer
Had a repair man out and yes water heater was plumbed wrong from manufacture. Reworked plumbing and all is working as should be. Guess the person who installed had an ass backwards moment. And me out $150.00. And now I have a recall on my defective furniture fabric. Coachman is short on quality. And life goes on.

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
There are multiple configurations for WH bypass. One uses two 3 way valves instead of three basic shutoff valves. And other variations.
Very true. Mine has just a single bypass valve (along with a one-way check valve on the "out" line at the WH).
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
There are multiple configurations for WH bypass. One uses two 3 way valves instead of three basic shutoff valves. And other variations.

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
njtony wrote:
After my first time winterizing last fall, I questened the placement of the water heater shutoff and bypass valves. My hot and cold valves are placed before the bypass valve. Is this correct?

The illustrations Posted are the way it should be and about the only way it would work. Did you have antifreeze in the hot water tank?
Let us know what you find.
Bill
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
ALLISON 4000 MH TRANSMISSION
TOWING 2014 HONDA CRV With Blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain

Old-Biscuit
Explorer
Explorer
When Cold Inlet is closed....water can not flow into WH Tank
When Hot outlet is closed ...water can not flow out or into WH Tank
With Bypass OPEN..water flow from cold water line to hot water line

If water supply is turned on 'bypass mode'...cold water will flow out hotside of faucets---bypassing the WH Tank

3 way system
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31