cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone else panicked after they bought a trailer?

mhill260
Explorer
Explorer
I think I'm nuts. We just bought a new trailer and we traded in my old tacoma for a larger truck that could pull it. We looked for months, went to RV shows, looked at dozens of sizes, floorplans, and styles. We finally settled on one, and found a really nice rockwood mini. We stayed in our budget, and the truck is used.

My wife is thrilled, and I'm panicked. I've towed it without any problem, but I feel like I won't be able to manage it, and I'm feeling guilty for spending the money. We've been talking about this for years, and now that we've finally done it, I'm not getting the enjoyment I should be because I don't seem to be able to give myself permission to. We're taking our first trip in a week, and I'm looking forward to it.

I was just wondering if anyone else had this happen. I know this isn't a support group, but I'd appreciate any advice or experiences anyone could share.

Thanks
Rockwood Mini Lite 2507S
2018 Ford F150 XLT 5.0 V8
48 REPLIES 48

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer
4x4ord wrote:
I pay cash for toys which I think keeps us from spending too much. Because you stayed within your budget my guess is you'll get over it.

This helped us out as well, we'd saved the cash up to buy the camper, so it was no biggie before or after the deal closed.

Now the truck, sometimes I wish we didn't owe so much on the truck, but ah well, I keep them for a long time, and the payment will be gone in less than 2 years.
2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK

rvshrinker
Explorer III
Explorer III
I did experience some anxiety early on. Before the first couple of trips I would feel anxious about hooking up the trailer correctly, driving safely, setting up at the campground. Compared to tent camping I had spent a lot of money on a truck and trailer and had bought two new machines which needed maintenance, space to park, and time. But after a few trips I stopped feeling this way. I'm very fast now setting up and the driving is a piece of cake, plus I really enjoy driving my new truck. I started thinking of the trailer as our mobile second home and compared to a cabin in the woods it was a fraction of the cost and much more flexible and easier to maintain. My family loves RVing and my wife will actually go camping year-round, and for up to ten days, whereas before she kind of dreaded tent camping for more than 2 nights ( our record was nine nights). We also use the trailer as a guest room and the kids have slumber parties in it, so we are really used to handling the trailer now.

Spend as much time as possible with the trailer, go out on a bunch of short trips soon, and you'll soon be a pro.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
danrclem wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
I pay cash for toys which I think keeps us from spending too much. Because you stayed within your budget my guess is you'll get over it.

I'm with you 4x4ord. I don't have the newest or best of anything but it's all paid for and best of all no monthly payments.

Everybody gotta do their own thing though.

I thought like that. Until I got the truck, and the TT paid for. after that I noticed I couldn't really tell the difference in my monthly bills. And NO. I don't understand it either. But you would think that getting rid of several hundred dollars of payments would really make a difference in the check book. But it didn't. Seems we did better when we had payments. Or maybe we just started spending more when we had less payments. I don't kow
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
danrclem wrote:

I'm with you 4x4ord. I don't have the newest or best of anything but it's all paid for and best of all no monthly payments.

Makes one sleep well at night!
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

danrclem
Explorer
Explorer
4x4ord wrote:

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
I've never had buyer's remorse because I research prospective big purchases to death.
I shopped for 3 years before I bought my new 2007 Chevy Avalanche. Did the same for my first new HTT.
I'm not an impulse buyer nor do I fall in love with things. It's more about me getting the best deal.
So by the time I make that big purchase, I've had plenty of time to determine if it's the right thing to do.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
mhill260 wrote:
2oldman wrote:
This is about money, isn't it?
Yes in the sense that I have found myself feeling like I bought something I didn't need. I have no problem spending money on my friends and family, but when it's me and it's big, it messes with me.
Feeling at all tight for money is not pleasant, so I know how you feel.

I always buy under what I think I can afford on large purchases..and paying cash is preferable. The main reason is maintenance, you know ...tires, batteries, storage, insurance, fuel, cleaning, upgrades, repairs... that stuff you really don't think about when you're all starry-eyed about how much fun it will be.

Hope this doesn't bum you out at all, but I think I know where you're coming from. Then again it may just be as simple as you feel guilty about buying it for yourself. Don't know much about that scenario..I usually get more enjoyment out of stuff for ME. Sometimes you just have to be a bit selfish.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
No. Never had buyers remorse on a large purchase. Just get out there and start enjoying yourselves. I recommend starting a log book to someday revisit your past adventures. Plan something big for Summer to let the excitement of the future overcome uncertainties of the past.

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
wife and i are on our 2nd TT. previous TT was 33ft 1 large slide, current TT is 37ft and 3 slides.. rear living. tons of room for wife, myself and 4 small dogs. we had buyers remorse briefly on both purchases but have ZERO regrets. we still work full time but have been able to use it 12 months out of the year due to living in north carolina with generally mild winters. love heading to sc and georgia in the winter. we have traveled from georgia to niagara falls, amish country pennsylvania, nc mountains, sc, nc beaches, outerbanks of nc and everywhere in between. i grew up camping in the 1970's with my parents and sisters. we had a wonderful time in a truck camper, pop-up, and small travel trailer. you can't purchase great memories, but you can make them. RVing isn't for everyone but it has been a wonderful experience for us. my advice is to go camping as much as possible. if you don't enjoy it, sell it. at least you will know.

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
I enjoy towing my TT more than just driving my TV alone. The extra alertness, being able to stop just about anywhere for lunch, the slower speed. You’ll enjoy it too!

same here.... makes the trip more relaxing

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Agree, we "camp" anywhere from the Cabelas parking lot, to RV park, to the middle of a national forest, to the back 40 at a friend's place.
That's the beauty of having a RV. Wherever you stop is home.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
^But now since you have a luxury self contained home on wheels, compared to a popup, you can camp with all the amenities of home in places where people aren't lined up with reservations and sewer hoses and 30A dog bones in their hands.

Yeah I prefer dispersed camping or at least a very roomy forest service campground with vault toilets and no hookups. When you're in a hard sided camper those conditions aren't exactly roughing it, and its nice to be away from anybody other than who you're camping with.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
The best cure to get over the buyers remorse is to drive into the Rockies, find a campsite with a great view, set up a couple of chairs and set down with a couple of beverages of your choice. Slowly drink the beverages, repeat. Continue this procedure frequently.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^But now since you have a luxury self contained home on wheels, compared to a popup, you can camp with all the amenities of home in places where people aren't lined up with reservations and sewer hoses and 30A dog bones in their hands.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold