cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

starting to look at trucks

MR_MAC
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in no hurry, but looking at used (2016 and up) F150's, looking at eng. size and wondering what would be best a 3.5 Ecoboost or a 5.0 L V8 . to pull a 7000lb trailer (TT) I think I"m leaning towards the V8, to pull over hills in Maine.

Thanks Rob
ROBERT L MC INTYRE
55 REPLIES 55

KC10Chief
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2018 F-150 Lariat with the 3.5 EcoBoost, 10 speed transmission, and 3.55 gears. My trailer is almost 35' from tongue to bumper and over 8,000 pounds fully loaded. Power is not a problem at all. I feel like the truck could pull a lot more weight, easily. However, I feel like I'm maxed out on suspension. I have spent a lot of money to get the truck to handle the weight. E-rated tires ($1,200), Bilstein shocks ($300), Hellwig rear sway bar ($400), and the big one, a ProPride 3P-1400 hitch ($3,000). The truck tows great now. No problems. Gas mileage is about 8 mpg at 65 mph. If I had it to do over again, I'd be getting a 3/4 ton diesel. This setup works great for me now though and the F-150 is an awesome vehicle. I absolutely love it. I do plenty of non-towing driving and the 3.5L has gobs of power. It's like a sports car! No way in hell I'd buy the 5.0. I plan on keeping the truck for a few more years until we go full time. Then I'm getting a one ton dually.
2019 Keystone Cougar 29BHS
2018 Ford F-150 Lariat w/3.5L EcoBoost, 10 speed, Max Tow
ProPride 3P-1400 hitch

godoz
Explorer
Explorer
MR MAC wrote:
I'm in no hurry, but looking at used (2016 and up) F150's, looking at eng. size and wondering what would be best a 3.5 Ecoboost or a 5.0 L V8 . to pull a 7000lb trailer (TT) I think I"m leaning towards the V8, to pull over hills in Maine.

Thanks Rob

Worth some thought... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkYS6mpwiSM

hvac
Explorer
Explorer
It is a common theme that is getting long in the tooth. Modern half ton trucks properly ordered, set up, and even field modified to xl or LT tires can out perform 3/4 platforms of recent vintage. I find it comical the bigger is best crowd just won't give up.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Whoa nelly!!
Took 6 pages to get there, but we've gone from the OP's F150 and 5.0 vs Ecoboost to a 1 ton!
Yay!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
The F250 with the diesel has almost no payload, less than my 1500. You can argue that it's artificially limited by the GVWR number, but if you want to stay within the letter of the law then go F350 SRW if you want to go diesel.

FYI.....GVWR or gvwr based payloads does not determine how much load a truck can carry legally or safely. There is no laws regarding vehicle mfg payloads or its gvwr as a legal load limit.

This is where any 3/4 ton with the bigger 6000-6500 RAWR can easily,safely/legally carry 3000-3500 lbs in the bed.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
OleManOleCan wrote:
bartlettj wrote:
I think 8k pounds for a F150 is a bit heavy as you are going to be light on truck payload if you plan to take passengers in the cab. There's not much of a price premium on used 3/4 ton trucks unless you go diesel.

I've towed with the 3/4 ton F-250 6.4 Turbo Diesel. It was a beast. I loved it.
I've towed with the 6 cyl. 3.5 Ecoboost. Also a beast if it's geared to tow.

The 3/4 ton 6.4 Ford Diesel is my all time favorite.
Towing 8500 lbs, I had to check my rear view Elephant Ear Mirrors to see if my trailer was still behind me.

My EB is good. but it's not a big Turbo Diesel... I still like to drive the EB.

The F250 with the diesel has almost no payload, less than my 1500. You can argue that it's artificially limited by the GVWR number, but if you want to stay within the letter of the law then go F350 SRW if you want to go diesel.

As far as gear ratios, there's a whopping 1400 pounds in tow rating between a 2016 EB 3.15 geared truck and 3.73 geared truck, available payload has WAY more effect on your ability to tow a TT than that, the 10 speed made the rear end a non-issue unless you like to drag race your truck with the trailer attached.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

trailer_newbe
Explorer
Explorer
My work truck is a 3.5 EB 2014. 67K miles and no problems, believe me Iโ€™m not easy on it. My tow vehicle is a 2018 RAM Cummins and it is awesome.
2018 Jayco White Hawk 28RL

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
"a lot of problems in the early years" is a bit of an overstatement. The reported problems were a very small percentage of units. If you look at the overall 8-9 year run, it has proven to be one of the most solid engines ever produced. Glad I can say that, at the time, I felt I was taking a gamble with my 2013.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
Having just traded in a 2013 F150 5.0 with a bad engine for a new 2018 Ram 2500 with a Cummins, I can tell you that there is a world of difference. The remaining 2018's have 11K plus off sticker if that helps.

Now my 2 cents, have a high wall pop-up, close to 4K lbs. By the time we were packed and loaded up for a trip with 4 people and a loaded truck bed, it would do fairly well on flat ground, but once we started getting into the mountains, then I could tell a difference, sometimes more than others. There were a few mountain passes in Colorado where it would take dropping into 3rd and 4K+ RPM's to make it. As a daily driver, it was a good truck. 16ish in DFW traffic and 19-20 on the highway. I know the progressive years brought more HP & torque to the 5.0's and hopefully some better design/problem corrections.

If I wouldn't have lost all faith in Ford's engine design and looking to trade, I'd more than likely go with the 3.5 EB. I know there was a lot of problems in the early years 2011-2014 with water intake from the CAC and intercooler, but haven't heard anyone comment on that problem in years so I guess they got the problem fixed.
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
GrandpaKip wrote:
Slowmover wrote:
Todayโ€™s trucks are also far heavier. On better tires, but not much increase in ultimate traction (contact patch). Given they are also TALLER, theyโ€™re not more stable than a mid-90s pickup.

The change to the good is 4-whl disc. And some stability/braking programming.

Trailer brakes are what matter.

The less weight per wheel for a given swept area and contact patch is what wins brand discussions. And allied to a low COG.

A pickup is a handicapped vehicle.

Still canโ€™t figure out your point.

The point is, he ran out of kids to yell "get off my lawn" at. So now he's taking it out on pickup trucks!

But I'm not sure wth a person is supposed to pull trailers with. My car has about 500hp. According to slow mover it would be a better option....my truck keeps tipping over on its side when I drive it! Lol

Guess I could try my wifeโ€™s Subaru. Low COG, 4 wheel disc brakes, very stable. And I wouldnโ€™t have to worry about the Silverado flipping over all the time.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
GrandpaKip wrote:
Slowmover wrote:
Todayโ€™s trucks are also far heavier. On better tires, but not much increase in ultimate traction (contact patch). Given they are also TALLER, theyโ€™re not more stable than a mid-90s pickup.

The change to the good is 4-whl disc. And some stability/braking programming.

Trailer brakes are what matter.

The less weight per wheel for a given swept area and contact patch is what wins brand discussions. And allied to a low COG.

A pickup is a handicapped vehicle.

Still canโ€™t figure out your point.

The point is, he ran out of kids to yell "get off my lawn" at. So now he's taking it out on pickup trucks!

But I'm not sure wth a person is supposed to pull trailers with. My car has about 500hp. According to slow mover it would be a better option....my truck keeps tipping over on its side when I drive it! Lol

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
hvac wrote:
I am successfully towing cross country for the past 2 years with a half ton, it is a diesel, 8 spd, 3.92, full air suspension. 28 ATC front bedroom. Loaded approx 7600lb.

The combination yields high altitude performance and no drama.Half tons are very capable towing.

Lol, not possible, must have been a dream......according to the rvnet extremists.

hvac
Explorer
Explorer
I am successfully towing cross country for the past 2 years with a half ton, it is a diesel, 8 spd, 3.92, full air suspension. 28 ATC front bedroom. Loaded approx 7600lb.

The combination yields high altitude performance and no drama.Half tons are very capable towing.

gmckenzie
Explorer
Explorer
2112 wrote:
Look at the yellow sticker on the driver door jam that states that trucks payload. Get the most payload you can find.

This.

If you want to pull 7K+, you want a payload near 2K.
2015 GMC Sierra 4x4 CC SB Max Trailer
2010 Cougar 30RKS