cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ucconnect? Worthwile?

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Any Ram owners out there using Uconnect? Ram's pushing a special for 50% off which amounts to $74.00 for a year. Somebody talk me into it or out of it!!
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"
24 REPLIES 24

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:
whjco wrote:
I bought my 2015 Ram new and have used it since I bought the truck. I like it.
I also use and like it. Not mentioned here is the fact that it can be used to locate your vehicle in case it is stolen - which in turn is a deduction on your insurance for a vehicle locator system.

I would venture to guess that "they" will find your vehicle if "they" want to. OnStar will whether you're a subscriber or not.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
whjco wrote:
I also use and like it. Not mentioned here is the fact that it can be used to locate your vehicle in case it is stolen - which in turn is a deduction on your insurance for a vehicle locator system.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
turbojimmy wrote:
Ron3rd wrote:
I'll be using an Apple 6S

As long as you have iOS 12 you should be good. Like I said, the Apple CarPlay limitations in my '17 were frustrating. I had full functionality with my Android phone - full integration of Google Maps, Waze, GooglePlay Music, etc. Until iOS 12, what the iPhone would put up on the UConnect screen was limited by Apple - they only wanted you to use their apps and didn't allow 3rd party integration. I'm a new Apple convert and I like CarPlay's integration with UConnect much better than the Droid. The Droid was slow to react and would freeze up. My only complaint with CarPlay right now is that if I leave the phone plugged in, shut the car off, and then restart CarPlay does not reload. I have to unplug the phone and plug it back in for UConnect to "see" it.

Thanks for the good info Jimmie
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

whjco
Explorer
Explorer
Bill J., Lexington, KY
2006 Starcraft 2500RKS 25' Travel Trailer
2015 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.7 Cummins.

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
turbojimmy wrote:
Ron3rd wrote:

As long as you have iOS 12 you should be good. Like I said, the Apple CarPlay limitations in my '17 were frustrating. I had full functionality with my Android phone - full integration of Google Maps, Waze, GooglePlay Music, etc. Until iOS 12, what the iPhone would put up on the UConnect screen was limited by Apple - they only wanted you to use their apps and didn't allow 3rd party integration. I'm a new Apple convert and I like CarPlay's integration with UConnect much better than the Droid. The Droid was slow to react and would freeze up. My only complaint with CarPlay right now is that if I leave the phone plugged in, shut the car off, and then restart CarPlay does not reload. I have to unplug the phone and plug it back in for UConnect to "see" it.

I believe it should recognize it after a key cycle. But the uconnect can be buggy. Wouldnโ€™t hurt to check with the dealer to see if they have an update.

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Yes I believe apple and android cap play is 2018 and newer. Have a 2016 Dodge and not an option.
We let all that stuff lapse on the wifeโ€™s 2016. Sirius radio would be nice once in a while on road trips but otherwise it wasnโ€™t useful to us. And donโ€™t really care about those features. Thereโ€™s always 1-4 smartphones in the car anyway.
But think about it this way. $6 a month or 20cents a day. Is it worth it to you?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are at an age and point in life if we want something within reason we do or get it. As they say, you can take it with you!
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
It isn't worth it to me because anything I need is easlily available elsewhere. So I let it lapse.
So far haven't missed it.

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
I have it and like it...remote start...send directions to truck so when I crank it up I am ready to go to a new location....but hey...that is just me.
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
mich800 wrote:

Yes, but your uconnect must have the carplay option or it will simply function as a media player. If it does have the option than your phone will be mirrored on the uconnect screen.

I have not used the Android app.

So 2018 and newer.

The limitation is iOS not Uconnect. Recent iOS updates allow you to use non-Apple apps with CarPlay. Mines a โ€˜17 and CarPlay started working with Waze and other apps in the Fall of 2018.

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
mich800 wrote:

Yes, but your uconnect must have the carplay option or it will simply function as a media player. If it does have the option than your phone will be mirrored on the uconnect screen.

I have not used the Android app.

So 2018 and newer.

Not sure what model years it is available. I do know I drive a lot of different FCA vehicles and not every uconnect programming has carplay. But the vehicles I am in may not have final calibrations so maybe they all have it on dealer lots.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Me Again wrote:
We have kept it active for 3.5 years now, and use it to search for POI, check fuel prices. Remote started the truck a couple times before I came out of a restaurant. I wish campgrounds were in the search data base, however they are not. It will not find an auto parts store, however it will fine them by name NAPA etc.

Travel link has lot of things it can do.

While the GPS in our Ford works with out a subscription. We need one thru Sirus Radio for gas prices, radar, and such. But we learned. Our iPhone does all that for free. So I let it drop. Still use the GPS though.
Do have to update the GPS every now and then though.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers