cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More beginner RVing questions

BeerBrewer
Explorer
Explorer
The wife and I just purchased our first Travel Trailer (Grand Design Transcend 26RLS) and we've got a couple trips already planned already. We thought it best that we stay close to home and that we don't stay out too many days. We even considered camping in the back yard, but the town we live has a lot of strange rules and we didn't want to tempt fate. Our first trip is to Smiths Point (Long Island) and two weeks later we head to Gettysburg for a couple more.

Since it's only the two of us and we are only staying two nights at Smith Point, I'm thinking that I should not bother to connect the sewer line because the tanks won't be full enough to properly dump. I figured that we'd have to dump the tanks when we leave Gettysburg a couple weeks later. Am I on the right track? Is it okay to leave the TT with waste in the tanks for the two weeks? It shouldn't stink out the trailer, should it? Do I need to do anything special to treat the tanks?

Funny but when we first entertained the idea of buying a TT and touring the country I thought that I'd be more worried about the idea of driving and backing up a travel trailer and now that the day nears, I seem more worried about sanitary aspect of it.
33 REPLIES 33

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:
They think it's vital to use the black flush every time, pour in lots of chemicals, buy RV paper, the works.
As long as they think hookups are vital, I'm all for it! 🙂
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
BeerBrewer wrote:
Yes the trailer does have a black tank flush. Would it be better to use it and dump the tanks rather than leave them partially full?
I'm of the opinion you're just better off dumping/flushing the tank before leaving a CG. If there aren't sewer hookups, they should have a dump station and it's easy to pull into one and dump and then not have to think about the tank until your next outing.

If you leave "contents" in the tank, the sprayer won't be very effective. The sprayer nozzle is relatively low down, has a small spray pattern and at the best of times, doesn't have a very forceful spray. Sometimes you can see the sprayer below the toilet if you look down with a flashlight.

FWIW, when breaking camp, first thing I do is fill the black tank to near full, let 'er rip, leave the valve open and let the in-tank rinser run 15 minutes or so. The bottom of the tank usually ends up factory clean, factory fresh... 🙂 If we happen to be at a CG without sewer hookups, if there's a lineup or can't hook up the sprayer, I just dump and go and just wait until the next outing to rinse the tank. Dump stations often have the hose end cut off and you can't add any water to your tank unless you use a "water bandit". In that case, you might be better off leaving some contents in the tank so it'll remain soft-ish.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
BeerBrewer wrote:
Anyone use Kirkland (Costco) toilet paper?
All we've been using for going on 10 years. Many use it. It disintegrates the same as RV TP. Did a test in a jar once to see. Note that at least one major brand of "RV toilet paper" does NOT break down and you're paying a mafia price and getting no benefit. Some other household brands work fine. If concerned, do a test in a jar. Some even use non-disintegrating TP without issue. It shouldn't really have a problem flowing through the typical 3" outlet pipe on an RV, but perhaps could get trapped easier in a blade seal?

zcookiemonstar
Explorer
Explorer
I don't worry about the tank being so clean when on the road I can do that at home. I do want to make sure that my sewer hose ALWAYS get a good rinse.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingbob wrote:
Many campers believe that your black tank must be " surgically " clean after dumping . Why I have never understood . My way , dump it , add a couple gals. of water , hit the road ! Many will tell ya to clean , hose , clean again , add chemical , look inside with a flash lite ! Why !! Do not forget what it is for !

I'm in a Facebook group that is full of noobs. Some of them are absolutely convinced that they need to go through all sorts of trouble to dump and rinse, clean, deodorize, sterilize, etc. their black tanks. They think it's vital to use the black flush every time, pour in lots of chemicals, buy RV paper, the works.

It would be amusing except these are the guys who take a half hour to dump when the line is already backed up on Sunday afternoon.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

zcookiemonstar
Explorer
Explorer
Always dump your tanks if you can. If you need to ad water to fill the tank more. Things happen plans change that trip in two weeks could change and your camper may sit longer then you thought so just dump the tanks and that is one less thing to worry about.

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
Many campers believe that your black tank must be " surgically " clean after dumping . Why I have never understood . My way , dump it , add a couple gals. of water , hit the road ! Many will tell ya to clean , hose , clean again , add chemical , look inside with a flash lite ! Why !! Do not forget what it is for !

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
No one has mentioned a clear 45 degree elbow so I will. Get a clear elbow so you can see when the water runs clear mostly when emptying your black tank and the water flows freely to make sure there isn't a paper clog. Install it at the takeoff and then connect your hose. I don't like to leave anything in my tank between trips because there is no reason NOT to dump when you have full hookup. Use the tank rinser and close the valve to let it fill up again and pull the handle to let it empty. DO NOT leave it unattended, be patient and careful so not to overfill when doing this.

The tank sensors that tell how full they are will be notoriously inaccurate so don't depend on them. Grey tank sensor not so much but the black will get fowled with paper and **** but you will know when its full. Happy camping.

CDEW
Explorer
Explorer
We have used this method successfully for years.
1. If the tanks are not full, fill to about 75%.
2. Empty the black tank first and refill with clean water.
3. Empty the black tank again.
4. Empty the grey tank to flush the sewer hose.
5. Put a small bottle of clothes soap (Dollar store size) in the black tank and put about 5 gallons of water in with the soap.
6. Disconnect the sewer hose from the trailer and rinse with clean water.
7. Leave the grey tank empty.
Using the clothes soap and water in the black tank acts like a tank cleaning as you drive. Also this wont leave you with the worry of smelling up the trailer when you use it the next time. The next trip just hook up the sewer as normal and dump when the tanks are full.
We do use black tank additive while using the toilet to break down solids and paper. Another thought is to use the campground bathrooms on short trips and not use the trailer toilet. The key with the trailer black tank is use plenty of water while using and flushing the tank while dumping.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
BB, we've gone 3-4 weeks before dumping. just keep some water in the black tank.

but my question is, you've been a member for 5 years now, yet you call yourself a beginner. how is that?
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
it also depends on how hot the our side temps will be. if it gets hot, the first time you flush the toilet you may be in for a rude awaking. Happy Camper will kill that smell if you use it up front before you ever use the toilet.

owenssailor
Explorer
Explorer
Since this is your first trip with a travel trailer and you will have a sewer hookup I strongly suggest that you hook up to the sewer and dump you tanks. You can do this slowly at your leisure and make sure everything works and you know how to do the whole operation. Get the tank 3/4 full or more before dumping. Do black first.

We just got back from our annual 4 1/2 month snowbird tour. We always use paper that is bum friendly - whatever brand. None of that sandpaper "RV" paper thanks. The black tank on the RV is a holding tank not a sewage processing device. Nothing gets broken down during the time it is in the tank. If you use a clear plastic elbow you can see all the lumpy stuff slowing out including wads of tp.

Enjoy your new trailer.
2011 Jayco 28U
2012 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 6 spd 3.42 (sold)
2017 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 8 spd 3.42
Equal-i-Zer 1400/14000
RotoChocks

catkins
Explorer
Explorer
Most dump before storing I believe. That said, if only waiting two weeks before your next trip, you can probably let it sit if you put something down to help control odor. I always dump before storing and then leave a couple of gallons in the black and grey tank to avoid any reside from hardening and beginning issues later. Water is your friend to move tp/solids out of the tanks when dumping. Alway try and dump when at least 2/3 tank full, even if that means adding water before dumping. Happy camping!!!

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
There is no single 'rule' to dumping your tanks that applies to 'everyone'..

All you can do is what works best for you.. Since you are new to the whole thing, who knows what is going to work for you?? You don't even know at this point, so there you go..

I'm only a 4 day weekend camper and go about 4 weeks between trips between May and Sept..

I dump my tanks after every trip no matter how full it is...

If I have sewer at my site, I'll just dump it and then flush the heck out of the black tank.

If I have to go to the dump station going out, I'll try to get as much water in the black tank as I can, but don't really fret about it too much... Dump and go in less than 10 minutes from start to finish.. Don't want to be that guy that holds up the line. 😉

I also don't have all that many solids in my black tank, so that's why what works for me won't necessarily work for you or others..

Anyway, all you can do is come up with your own routine and go from there..

We all had to figure out our own routine that works best and like I said, what works for me is not what works for you or what everyone else does..

Good luck and enjoy the new experience!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.