cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2020 Chevy 2500HD 6.6 Gaseser data.

ls1mike
Explorer II
Explorer II
The whole video discusses the Duramax and chassis as well.

But the beginning discusses the new 6.6 which I am interested in it to replace my 6.0 gasser. I don't really need a diesel and only use my trucks to tow.
2020 GM 2500HD

I like the stainless steel exhaust manifolds. I can't think of any other gasser with that from the factory. Should be helpful with heat cycles.
I wish it looked better not a fan of the looks, but I like the sound of the drivetrain.
Mike
2024 Chevy 2500HD 6.6 gas/Allison
2012 Passport 3220 BHWE
Me, the Wife, two little ones and two dogs.
19 REPLIES 19

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
mtofell1 wrote:
My only request is that manufacturers stop sizing engines the same as one of their past engines so we all know what is being referred to.

Old Ford 7.3 diesel - New Ford 7.3 gas
Old Chevy/GMC Duramax 6.6 - New Chevy/GMC 6.6 gas

Message boards are going to be full of confusion for the next 20 years.

Of course, I know the manufacturers have more to worry about than message boards but it is kind of funny they do this. You have to figure there will be plenty of confusion when various people are talking about the engines.

I thought the same thing.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
My only request is that manufacturers stop sizing engines the same as one of their past engines so we all know what is being referred to.

Old Ford 7.3 diesel - New Ford 7.3 gas
Old Chevy/GMC Duramax 6.6 - New Chevy/GMC 6.6 gas

Message boards are going to be full of confusion for the next 20 years.

Of course, I know the manufacturers have more to worry about than message boards but it is kind of funny they do this. You have to figure there will be plenty of confusion when various people are talking about the engines.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
ls1mike wrote:
SoonerWing03 wrote:
Any guesses as to the expected fuel economy for this engine?

Bad? Probably not much different than the current 6.0 15ish empty 7-9ish towing.
I know it matters to some who daily drive it, but I am not buying a tow vehicle for MPGs and I don't daily drive my truck.

How is that bad for a towing motor? Sounds like it is going to be better all sound. All 3 manuf are going to new bigger gas motors, which tells a lot about the future of diesel! The diesel has been milked for all it can....to the point they canโ€™t get them to pass emissions without playing with the software!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Lessmore wrote:
Jayco23FB wrote:
I was interested in the 6.6 gasser to replace my 6.0 as well until I found out the 6.6 gas will have siamesed cylinders. I remember all the overheat problems the small block 400 had using siamesed cylinders. I think I will pass on this one.

Pretty sure hot rodders had found a fix for this by the late '90's.
Yes they did, it was a 383.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Lessmore
Explorer
Explorer
Jayco23FB wrote:
I was interested in the 6.6 gasser to replace my 6.0 as well until I found out the 6.6 gas will have siamesed cylinders. I remember all the overheat problems the small block 400 had using siamesed cylinders. I think I will pass on this one.

Pretty sure hot rodders had found a fix for this by the late '90's.

Jayco23FB
Explorer
Explorer
I
Jayco G2 23FB
2007 Chevrolet 2500HD 6.0L

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
In todayโ€™s engines siamesed cylinders should not be a problem.

Even the all mighty 6.7 Cummins has siamesed cylinders.

ls1mike
Explorer II
Explorer II
SoonerWing03 wrote:

Bad? Probably not much different than the current 6.0 15ish empty 7-9ish towing.
I know it matters to some who daily drive it, but I am not buying a tow vehicle for MPGs and I don't daily drive my truck.
Mike
2012 Passport 3220 BHWE

SoonerWing03
Explorer
Explorer

ls1mike
Explorer II
Explorer II
SARGUY wrote:
Can you explain the term siamesed cylinders,TY.

the cylinders have no way for coolant to flow between them.

This engine is siamesed but allows for coolant to flow between them.

It just increases the strength of the block overall.
Mike
2012 Passport 3220 BHWE

ls1mike
Explorer II
Explorer II
ksss wrote:
Jayco23FB wrote:

This motor is not going to overheat. Comparing the small block 400 to the 6.6 siamesed cylinders or not is ridiculous, sorry but it is. The 6.6 will replace the 6.0 and so the shoes to fill are huge, and GM is certainly aware of that. They are not going to release this motor that has been years in the making, and be used in HD pickups if it overheats. It will be dialed in and ready to pickup where the 6.0 leaves off.

I am guessing if your condemning a motor that has not even hit the ground yet, by comparing it to one built 40 years ago, your really not in the market anyway.

Also the cooling jackets between the cylinders are connected. It will be fine, it is nothing like a 400. I do find the high pressure full pump interesting as it is mechanical.
Mike
2012 Passport 3220 BHWE

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
Jayco23FB wrote:

This motor is not going to overheat. Comparing the small block 400 to the 6.6 siamesed cylinders or not is ridiculous, sorry but it is. The 6.6 will replace the 6.0 and so the shoes to fill are huge, and GM is certainly aware of that. They are not going to release this motor that has been years in the making, and be used in HD pickups if it overheats. It will be dialed in and ready to pickup where the 6.0 leaves off.

I am guessing if your condemning a motor that has not even hit the ground yet, by comparing it to one built 40 years ago, your really not in the market anyway.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

ls1mike
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jayco23FB wrote:

The LS7, the C5Rs (24 hours of Daytona Winner), and the performance LSX bowtie block used in tons of race applications all have siamesed cylinders. They don't have the issues of the 400. This isn't 1985. ๐Ÿ™‚
Mike
2012 Passport 3220 BHWE

jake2250
Explorer
Explorer
KW/00 I follow your thoughts. Only two of us and we tow what fits us comfortably.
Both financially and mechanical wise!
Had a diesel but didn't really need it. Liked it, but didn't really need it.
I am so amazed what all trucks have evolved into. I love this time and age.
Can't believe the thinking, amount of money and busted knuckles to get where in time we are now!
400 hp and a six speed transmission! I would have NEVER thought that was even in the cards when we started pulling trailers in the early nineties, let alone the comfort of vehicle and camper that is available today!
My trailer is 13 years old and we are Very comfortable in it. My truck is 7 years old and seems Old compared to today's market!