cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Federal Excise tax on tires

AikenRacer
Explorer
Explorer
Just had 8 new tires put on my mh for $5,500. They charged me $201 in FET and then charged me $400 tax on my total which included the FET. So I am paying a tax on a tax. I know there are tax friends out there. Is that right???
2012 Tuscany 42RQ tag
2005 Silverado 2500 w/ piggy back golf cart
5 REPLIES 5

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
Isn't it great, our elected officials have time to do everything except what we elected them too do, and they still have time to poke us in the butt with a sharp stick.
Wildmanbaker

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
It is a tax on a tax. Some states allow it, some don't. Wisconsin did away with that several years ago. Depending on where you bought the tires would depend on whether they could do so. FET is generally 12% so if you bought them in SD your tax would be $26.40 but in sunny California it would add $64.35 to your bill. YMMV....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

George3037
Explorer
Explorer
I agree that it is tax on top of tax. Many items get an excise tax such as gas / fuel, propane, autos, cigarettes, etc. Seems we are taxed to death. Two things are for sure, taxes and death.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
AikenRacer wrote:
Just had 8 new tires put on my mh for $5,500. They charged me $201 in FET and then charged me $400 tax on my total which included the FET. So I am paying a tax on a tax. I know there are tax friends out there. Is that right???

seems to be a simple math problem. what is the sales tax rate (%) at the point of purchase? cost of tires x tax rate = total sales tax.

$400/$5500 = a sales tax rate of 7.27%.
$400/$5701 = 7.01%
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
No idea, but a quick Google search came up with this..

https://taxmap.irs.gov/taxmap/pubs/p510-037.htm
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.