cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Memorial weekend trip to Ridgeway CO

SoonerWing03
Explorer
Explorer
We are pulling the TT from Oklahoma to Ridgeway CO for an extended weekend next month. I have never been to Ridgeway but have been to Durango, Silverton, and Ouray many times but have only pulled the TT as far as Silverton. I have made that drive a ton but only once with the TT and we have always taken I40 to Albuquerque then 550 the rest of the way. We are stopping by Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs on the way home so I am wondering what US 50 looks like between Ridgeway and Penrose. Is the stretch around Monarch the only significant climb?
4 REPLIES 4

texasjayco
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Ridgway SP last summer in the Pa-Co-Chu-Puk Campground. It is an awesome park with nice sites. WIt's a great location, so we were able to make lots of day trips from there.

Hwy 50 is fine. Nothing an experienced RVer can't handle.

Have a great trip!!

Mark
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS
2022 Ford F-450 Limited Diesel Dually

Wadcutter
Explorer III
Explorer III
We love the Ridgway area. Lots of great 4X4 roads and country to see.
Before you go watch True Grit with John Wayne. The movie was filmed in Ridgway and the surrounding area.
The hanging scene was shot in the town park.
Stop in the True Grit Cafรฉ which is "downtown" Ridgway. On the wall to the left when you enter the cafรฉ is the billboard that was in the background when John Wayne is first seen in the movie.
Take a drive up to Debbie's Meadow near Owl Creek Pass. Named for Debbie Reynolds who loved the area when she was in the filming of How the West Was Won. The meadow is where Rooster Cogburn faced off against Ned Pepper gang towards the end of the movie. It looks just like it did in the movie. From the roadway, which is where Wayne was positioned, look across the meadow towards Chimney Peak which is where the Ned Pepper gang had their backs to Chimney Peak. Hasn't changed. The road to Owl Creek Pass and Debbie's Meadow is gravel but easily driven by just about any kind of vehicle. 4X4 is not needed.
If you do a websearch on the film locations they will identify other locations that are easily located.
Enjoy your visit to Ridgway area.
Camped in every state

donkeydew
Explorer
Explorer
you should have no problem with 50. you will go right pass black canyon of gunnison national park,it well worth a day to see it

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
The beautiful canyon between Canyon City and Salida is very curvy and slow along the Arkansas river. The Pass at Monarch is a very good road. There is a high point between Blue Mesa Res. and Montrose, not bad but slower. It is a wonderful drive just take your time. We have reservations in June at Ridgeway. The mountains on US 50 are nothing Like 550. Good luck.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado