cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dinghy towing with a class C Mercedes chassis

xtooner
Explorer
Explorer
I'm wondering if I can tow my car with a Jayco Melborne Mercedes chassis. My toad weighs about 3000 lbs. I know the hitch is rated for 5000 lbs. but am wondering if the transmission, engine and drive train etc. is capable of pulling that load comfortably. Any input would be appreciated. Thank you.
2012 Holiday Rambler - Ambassador 40PDQ
Navistar Maxxforce EP10 350 HP
2010 Chev Cobalt-flat-towed w/-Air Force One braking system
4 REPLIES 4

catkins
Explorer
Explorer
Check with the manufacturer, your Owners Manual and you can also check with FMCA Dinghy Towing Guide, available by year. Final and only word that counts is the manufacturer/manual. Some newer vehicles cannot be towed four down. Our 2018 Edge is towable with a certain engine/tranny combo only, other 2018 Edges CANNOT. Again owners manual/manufacturer is the ONLY opinion that counts. Hitch capacity has little to do with what can safely be towed, but indicates the max weight the hitch can pull. Good luck!

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy - as mentioned, you need to know what the manufacturer says it can tow, not what the hitch is rated for... Quick search seems to indicate your rig (unsure of year...) has a 5K towing capacity. We tow our 3200# Forester with our Sprinter-based Prism (we have a 3500# limit) without difficulty. Been across the Rockies, toured West Virginia hills, live in NH White Mountains. About 25K miles towing so far. make sure you have a supplemental braking system - we use ReadyBrute and have been very happy with it.
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I tow my 18ft boat pushing 2600# loaded and have no problem ,mines the MB 5cyc diesel. makes a trip from ohio to AR almost every year.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
You should have documentation regarding how much your vehicle can tow. At a minimum you should have info on GVWR and the GCVR. The difference in these two numbers is the weight you can safely tow. If you get your MH weighed (and itโ€™s less than the GVWR) you can use that number versus GVWR in the calculation. If it weighs more than the GVWR then you have a different problem!
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT