cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Electrical Help Please

jaycocamper6230
Explorer
Explorer
i have a 2006 Fleetwood Bounder diesel that only charges the house batteries on shorepower. I have a Big Boy Battery Isolator Relay and a Battery Control Center(BCC) #F73-1042. I'v e been told there is a bad solenoid in the BCC behind the fuse board but the schematics show no solenoid in there and I don't want to take the BCC apart if I don't have to. Need help where to look? Is the Big Boy only there to connect all batteries when the AUX Start button is pushed? Any help is appreciated
28 REPLIES 28

jaycocamper6230
Explorer
Explorer
older_fossil wrote:
jaycocamper62301 wrote:

The funny thing is I can't find any solenoids or anything that looks like a solenoid other than the Big Boy Battery Isolator. And no there is no solenoids in the BCC

The Big Boy Battery Isolator Relay sure looks like a specialized solenoid to me.

Art

LMAO thanks

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Here is information on your relay:Big Boy isolator relay

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The Big Boy Battery isolator **IS** the Solenoid.

It should have two large (like quarter inch) and two small (like 1/8 ) posts
The two big ones are house and chassis battery
The two small ones control

To test your control switch. Hook a TEST LIGHT across the two small ones. (NOT AN LED but a regular old test light.. Don't have one.. A dash indicator lamp (Wedge base) and a pair of jumper leads make sure you don't short the leads at the lamp) If it is 3 position spring return to center Use/Store or however they label it Lamp should light either way you push the switch .

If it is an on/off toggle. Lamp should like most likely in ON position.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

older_fossil
Explorer
Explorer
jaycocamper62301 wrote:

The funny thing is I can't find any solenoids or anything that looks like a solenoid other than the Big Boy Battery Isolator. And no there is no solenoids in the BCC

The Big Boy Battery Isolator Relay sure looks like a specialized solenoid to me.

Art
Art & Barbara
2016 Tiffin AB 37AP
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee

jaycocamper6230
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
Is your BigBoy hot to the touch when hooked to shore power? What are the voltages on each of the two large lugs on the B B and then when someone pushes the boost switch?

After a week of research I found my answer and you were the only one that was on to it as well. It is the big boy that is not allowing the chassis batteries to charge while on shorepower.

jaycocamper6230
Explorer
Explorer
older_fossil wrote:
A bad charge solenoid would cause both problems. I'd test if there is ever any voltage across the smaller (control) terminals on the charge solenoid, when on shore power and the coach batteries are over 13.3V. If not, you may have a bad BCC. If there is voltage there, check the voltages on both sides of the solenoid (large terminals) to ground. A working solenoid should be at essentially the same voltage on both sides.

Art

older_fossil
Explorer
Explorer
A bad charge solenoid would cause both problems. I'd test if there is ever any voltage across the smaller (control) terminals on the charge solenoid, when on shore power and the coach batteries are over 13.3V. If not, you may have a bad BCC. If there is voltage there, check the voltages on both sides of the solenoid (large terminals) to ground. A working solenoid should be at essentially the same voltage on both sides.

Art
Art & Barbara
2016 Tiffin AB 37AP
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee

jaycocamper6230
Explorer
Explorer
RLS7201 wrote:
All Fleetwood class A (except Flair) since mid 1995 charge the chassis battery when plugged in. That feature started with CB-200 & CB-300 rev. C for RV Custom Products BCC.

All you ever wanted to know about RV Custom Products BCC.

Richard

That's what I've found too and thank you for the link with the revisions update

jaycocamper6230
Explorer
Explorer
#3 and I'd love for someone to help me understand the capabilities of the BCC when my book says while on shore power once the house batteries get to 13.3V the relay opens and sends current to the chassis battery and just the opposite when the engine in turning the altenator. Either they sent the wrong book with the coach or the BCC has been switched out. It's 13 years old and we have had it for 2 weeks so it has a history before us but the previous owners said the shorepower charges both house and chassis. I've googled and found nothing and was just trying to find an answer here.

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
older_fossil wrote:
I went back and re-read this thread, paying attention to the OP's posts. I don't think it is ever clear which problem(s) he is having.

1 - The house batteries don't charge from the engine alternator.
2 - The chassis batteries don't charge when on shore power.
3 - Both of the above

If #1, then it is likely a bad solenoid or the circuit activating it.
If #2, he need to understands the capabilities of his BCC to see if that is a supported feature. A little clarification would help.

X2
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

older_fossil
Explorer
Explorer
I went back and re-read this thread, paying attention to the OP's posts. I don't think it is ever clear which problem(s) he is having.

1 - The house batteries don't charge from the engine alternator.
2 - The chassis batteries don't charge when on shore power.
3 - Both of the above

If #1, then it is likely a bad solenoid or the circuit activating it.
If #2, he need to understands the capabilities of his BCC to see if that is a supported feature. A little clarification would help.
Art & Barbara
2016 Tiffin AB 37AP
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The BCC may or may not have the Reverse charge function (House to Chassis) to find out GOOGLE the make, model number manual and read the PDF file (OR dig it out of your owner's manual pack)

By the way I strongly suggest using Google to find a PDF of the owner's manual for most things in/on your RV including the TV. Fridge, Microwave, Sat Receiver. Inverters or converters. THe BCC and so on. Slide outs as well.

Store the PDF on your hard drive for quicker access in the file path
My Documents / Manuals / RV

I also have /Manuals / Ham Radio on my HD just so you know
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
All Fleetwood class A (except Flair) since mid 1995 charge the chassis battery when plugged in. That feature started with CB-200 & CB-300 rev. C for RV Custom Products BCC.

All you ever wanted to know about RV Custom Products BCC.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Is your BigBoy hot to the touch when hooked to shore power? What are the voltages on each of the two large lugs on the B B and then when someone pushes the boost switch?
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...