cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leveling help

mxdad777
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a long time RVer but just downsized to a 2018 Rockwood 8299BS. My previous rigs all had hydraulic level systems, but this 5er only has power stabilizer jacks in the back and the power jacks in the front. Most of the places we camp now are relatively flat, but are still off enough to need some leveling. I'm contemplating adding the Lippert leveling kit, but not sure I want to part with $2,700 yet. So what does everyone use for leveling their 5er? Thanks in advance for any help.

2021 Grand Design Reflection 337 RLS
2019 GMC Duramax 4x4

18 REPLIES 18

kennethwooster
Explorer
Explorer
I have used the plastic blocks. Later had a pillow that you aired until level. Course you must carry air compressor. Later got Cameo with big foot levelers. Love the big foot. We have just traded for a Beacon and has the Lippert levelers. I’m really scared of Lippert but no other choice. Any way my experience with levelers. Check big foot leveling system.
kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
I can buy a LOT of 2x8 for $2700!!!
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

Fisher_Bill
Explorer
Explorer
We have the complete kit of these and rarely use them but nice to have when needed,

Moderator edit to re-size picture to forum recommended limit of 640px maximum width.

2006 Chevy 3500 Dually 6.6 Duramax Diesel & Allison Transmission
2010 Northshore 28RK by Dutchmen
Our first fifth wheel!!!

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
mxdad777 wrote:
Thanks for the replies. I’ve pretty much decided to forgo the leveling system and see how things go for the next few months.

I spent 13 years without one and it only added, maybe, 5-10 minutes to my average setup with one. Even with my current auto-level, you still have to sit there and babysit it, some; or at least I do. Just no walking around a fiddling with stuff. :B

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
I have used 8x8" 3/4 plywood for many years and no problems. Most of the time 3/4"is just right. chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
pianotuna wrote:
I found wood boards to be best. My Anderson's broke rather quickly.

Hear this a lot! Simple boards and misc pcs of plywood of different thickness works GREAT!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
2x6s cut on a bevel. Don't overthink it.

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
We have a FR Hemisphere which is the sister to the Rockwood line. We use the Andersen Levelers for side to side leveling and Lynx Levelers for under the rear stabilizer jacks and front power jacks. We have three 10-Packs of the Lynx Levelers in case the Andersen levelers don't get us level but so far we haven't had that happen. That's all we've ever needed and we camp in both State Parks and Resorts.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

mxdad777
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. I’ve pretty much decided to forgo the leveling system and see how things go for the next few months.

2021 Grand Design Reflection 337 RLS
2019 GMC Duramax 4x4

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
I used to use Lego blocks for side-to-side leveling and 2x6 or 2x4 cribbing under the rear stabilizers. I'd lay 2 down side-by-side, then 2 crosswise, etc., to build up my stack as high as I need. Idea being that the less you have your stabilizers extended, the more stable you'll be. Now, with the 4-pt system on my KZ, I only use a couple legos under the front legs for a bigger footprint and have some 4" glue-lam scraps I put under my rear stabilizers for 1) footprint, 2) greater stability (less extension) and 3) rears have limited travel so I need them to keep from hitting the extension limit.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
I use 2" x 12"s, so I can claim bragging rights for widest boards so far! For judging level, I find that the RV's door works just fine. Open it 90 degrees and see which way it swings for fore-and-aft leveling. Open it slightly and see with way it swings for side to side leveling.

Roger10378
Explorer II
Explorer II
2- 2X8's plus 2- 1/2 inch plywood. I can get anything I need up to 4 inches in 1/2 inch increments. Then you use a small piece of 1/2 inch plywood on one of the front legs if needed to get them to have the same load. Or you can buy a leveler for one leg if you want.
2005 Cardinal 30TS
2007 Chevy 2500HD D/A

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
I throw a bunch of 2x6 blocks in my truck and they do the trick. I always seem to have extra lumber laying around from projects so I don't see much point to spending money on something to accomplish the same thing.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
The yellow blocks work great for us, easy to store, lightweight to use. IMO not worth spending large chunks of change for a leveling kit. That's money better spent traveling.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"