cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roof coating

Acdii
Explorer
Explorer
The 5 YO roof on my Coleman is starting to show black across the trusses, which is the coating wearing off. Last fall when I washed and protected the roof I tried scrubbing to see if it was on top or under and found it was under. I had forgotten about it until I was up there the other night measuring the AC unit height while the cover was off to determine which AC replacement could be used so I can park in the barn without taking the cover off and then remembered about the roof.

So what would be a good coating to use to help protect the rubber being exposed.
12 REPLIES 12

Acdii
Explorer
Explorer
JCR-1 wrote:
I have a glued sheet on my roof. Is this Vinyl or EDPM ? Which Heng coating is correct?

Easiest way to find out is pull a trim ring from a vent. The material is wrapped around the opening and stapled in place. Look at the back side. If black or gray, it is EPDM, if the back is the same as the top then it is TPO.

EPDM has more products compatible with it, so make sure what ever you use is compatible. If TPO make sure it clearly states good with TPO or if there is a product that has to be applied first. Some sealers require a primer for them to work.

JCR-1
Explorer
Explorer
I have a glued sheet on my roof. Is this Vinyl or EDPM ? Which Heng coating is correct?

DanielCulp
Explorer
Explorer
I have shringled roof and I have no idea about this but it can be very complicated. I think you must seek professional advice from home remodeling professionals. Go here and ask your query, may be this will help.

Acdii
Explorer
Explorer
Rubber + UV = deterioration. Just look at what happens to tires that sit out in the sun all day. They dry up and crack. Same thing will happen to the rubber in the roof when the coating is removed. This is why it is important to clean and apply UV protectant to the roof, so that it lasts.

Looks like Hengs will do the job. Going to order me 3 and give it a try.

I originally had planned to sell it and upgrade to a slider BH, but decided to keep it and make a couple changes to make it more comfortable. Since I am keeping it a few more years, I want it to be in TOP condition, and stay that way until I do decide to sell so I can get top dollar. Keeping the roof looking new is the most important.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
The EPDM roofing is black with a white coating. It isn't necessary to do anything unless you want to for cosmetic purposes. Millions of buildings exist around the world that never receive any treatment of the EPDM roofs. Those roofs still last 20 - 30 years or more.
This may be true as far as the roof itself is concerned, but the white roof keeps the rest of the RV much cooler in bright sunlight. I know this first hand.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Acdii wrote:
What color Hengs? Orange or Blue?
I'm thinking orange.
2015 Ram 1500

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
The EPDM roofing is black with a white coating. It isn't necessary to do anything unless you want to for cosmetic purposes. Millions of buildings exist around the world that never receive any treatment of the EPDM roofs. Those roofs still last 20 - 30 years or more.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Acdii
Explorer
Explorer
What color Hengs? Orange or Blue?

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I should have shared earlier. My roof is about 18 feet long. It took about a gallon and a half to put 3 coats on. I applied it on a very sunny day. The roof was HOT, and was burning my feet and hands. After the first coat, the roof was bright white, and NOT hot. The trailer cooled easier afterwards too. I'm pleased for sure.
2015 Ram 1500

Acdii
Explorer
Explorer
2 Votes for Hengs. My roof is trailer total length is 28', so rough estimate 26' of roof(but will measure for sure). Sounds like 3 gallons would be more than enough to cover it.

Of course open to hear what others have used, it will be at least a week or more before I will even be able to touch the roof, I still have to get it out of the barn.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on the Heng's Rubber Roof Coating. It did a good job for me and is holding up after tbree years.

No primer is needed and is easy to apply. I used 2 1/2 gallons to cover 30' of roof with two coats.

There are other coatings available, check them before you decide.
I'll use Heng's again.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I used Heng's last year on my now 15 year old rubber roof. It was inexpensive and easy to work with. Prep work took longer than actual application. I don't know how well it's going to last yet.
2015 Ram 1500