cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

22,5" rim torque specs

AikenRacer
Explorer
Explorer
Getting ready to have my tires changed. Freightliner told me the lug nut torque specs are 450 ftlbs. This seems high to me but that is what I'll go by. Just curious, what you guys know about this. Thanks!
The rims are the polished aluminum Alcoa rims.
2012 Tuscany 42RQ tag
2005 Silverado 2500 w/ piggy back golf cart
8 REPLIES 8

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
chuckftboy wrote:
450 is correct but a lot of big tire shops just run them on with a large impact and send them out the door.

Well,
That's up to the owners of those trucks to allow that practice. Yes, as has been stated, 450 ft.lbs. is quite common on the larger wheels, no matter if they're alloys or not. Ours on our coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP, are 450 ft.lbs. I purchased a 100-600 ft.lb. click type torque wrench, made by K&D a few years ago off Ebay for $75.00 and it works flawlessly.

I use a Torque multiplier for breaking them loose but, then use my hex drive impact for final removal of those 33MM lug nuts. I do what's needed while the wheels are off and, re-install them and use that torque wrench for cinching things down the right way.

And no, in decades and decades, I've never, ever re-torqued any wheels, any engine heads, NOTHING after any amount of miles. Nothing has fallen off yet.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
450 is correct but a lot of big tire shops just run them on with a large impact and send them out the door.
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

AikenRacer
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks!!
2012 Tuscany 42RQ tag
2005 Silverado 2500 w/ piggy back golf cart

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lug Torque is a function of the Lug and the NUT and is often printed on the attached washer (The washer that is attached to the nut) mine is in fact 450 Pounds.. The Rim is not the determining factor. the Bolt and Nut are

Over torquing can strip the nut/bolt.. Undertorque and .. By By Nuts. and wheel and OUCH.

SOME RIM Types.. Need to be Re-Torqued a short distance down the road. (Dealer **SHOULD** Tell you if yours are like that.. Did not my daughter on her car. which is why I know this)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Bruce_Brown
I believe 450 is correct. Thats what ours were torqued to when the new tires were installed.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
What diameter are the wheel studs? That seems very high to me.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
I believe the only difference in torque values for the aluminum wheels vrs the steel rims is that you must re-torque them after 50 miles of travel to allow for the aluminum to adjust. 450 ft pounds sounds about right.

Ava
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure about aluminium rims or your wheels but my older unit with steel wheels calls for 450ft. lbs of torque on the nuts.