cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Port Huron, MI Border Crossing into Canada

2nomads
Explorer
Explorer
We are heading to Niagara Falls, Ontario, in late May to meet up with a caravan. We're coming cross country from Oregon. We plan to travel Interstate 80 most of the way, originally planning to cross the border in the Detroit area. But we now think it would be better to go up through Lansing and Flint, MI and cross the border at Port Huron. We've never been to this area any farther than Elkhart, IN. Any advice or comments about that choice of border crossing point?
2 Nomads
2006 Itasca Sunova
:Z :R and dachshund Harley :E
18 REPLIES 18

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
We crossed at the Sarnia point mid morning in 2017. No lines. Don't think we were stationary for any more than a minute. Fastest ever into Canada.

Have paperwork ready. Shut off engine. Remove sunglasses. Be pleasant. Zoom, you are through.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

larchambeau
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't seen a reference to this, but you MUST make sure that ALL passengers have the proper documents when you cross. Check regulations for entering Canada and also back to the US.

Best bet is passport, but I believe an enhanced driver license will suffice. Not sure about minors.

But, please do your homework.
Thanks, Larry
No longer have my truck.
Seasonal all the way, now
2000 Sunnybrook 30RKFS 1-Slide 5th Wheel

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
I just checked on Google, and the Duty Free Gas is at the Ambassador Bridge, Michigan side. As I said in my original post, I was not 100% sure which crossing had the duty free as we use both crossings - and it has been a couple of years.
Memory is not what it used to be! Website shows gas price $2.61 gal. but I do not know how this compares to other US prices.
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

kaydeejay
Explorer
Explorer
Tripalot wrote:
The Duty Free gas that I am thinking about is just a few hundred yards from the toll booths. You have to watch the signs carefully or you will be in the wrong lane and miss it. The savings were substantial. It can only be accessed when entering Canada from Michigan. There are lots of easily accessed pumps - it is not a little rinky dink operation.
I have no idea what you are referring too and have never seen any pumps. A little more direction please if you could. I am crossing into Ontario at Port Huron tomorrow. Thanks.
Keith J.
Sold the fiver and looking for a DP, but not in any hurry right now.

TBammer
Explorer
Explorer
PS - Worse in right hand lane
2016 Chevy 2500 HD, 6.0 gasser, 4.10 dif
2019 Arctic Fox 25W
Reese Pro-Series WD Hitch

TBammer
Explorer
Explorer
I-69 on the north side of Lansing is washboard, and will bounce you trailer around. Make sure you have everything loose locked down, because it will get thrown about. First time over it you will think you have a flat tire.
2016 Chevy 2500 HD, 6.0 gasser, 4.10 dif
2019 Arctic Fox 25W
Reese Pro-Series WD Hitch

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
The Duty Free gas that I am thinking about is just a few hundred yards from the toll booths. You have to watch the signs carefully or you will be in the wrong lane and miss it. The savings were substantial. It can only be accessed when entering Canada from Michigan. There are lots of easily accessed pumps - it is not a little rinky dink operation.

southernsky
Explorer
Explorer
As others have said crossing at Port Huron was quite easy. We overnight at the KOA and crossed in the morning. The KOA was the biggest and best we've ever seen.
2022 Renegade Super C
2020 Ford Ranger 4x4 Sport

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
Last summer we re-entered the US at Port Huron. It was the easiest, fastest border crossing we have made in recent history. The scenery was nice between Niagara and Port Huron.
We did that trip from east to west last summer. We topped of our gas in NY and drove all the way to MI without having to get any Canadian gas. Last summer the gas in the US was a lot cheaper than Canada but this year not so much of a difference.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Tripalot wrote:
Maybe someone else can confirm this - we have not crossed into Michigan for a couple of years and we would often use both Windsor and Sarnia crossings. I think there is a gas station that is duty free before you cross into Canada at the Port Huron/Sarnia crossing. The savings were good. You will get sticker shock when you fill up in Canada.

There is a duty free store just north of the toll plaza but it's not part of the toll plaza. Continue north on Business-94 as if you are staying in Michigan, take the first right and then another right (both only about a block up). It will be on your right. From there it's easy to get back into the toll plaza.

I don't believe they sell gas nor is there any duty free option for gas (without paying the gas tax). I haven't been lately but the US gas is typically a good deal cheaper than Canadian gas, so checking beforehand is a good idea. Booze is cheaper in the US and that is available duty free (pending how long you will
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

owenssailor
Explorer
Explorer
We use the Sarnia/Port Huron crossing both ways each year when we go South for the winter with our trailer. It is a good crossing with lots of room at the Border Control booths.
2011 Jayco 28U
2012 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 6 spd 3.42 (sold)
2017 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 8 spd 3.42
Equal-i-Zer 1400/14000
RotoChocks

kaydeejay
Explorer
Explorer
Tripalot wrote:
Maybe someone else can confirm this - we have not crossed into Michigan for a couple of years and we would often use both Windsor and Sarnia crossings. I think there is a gas station that is duty free before you cross into Canada at the Port Huron/Sarnia crossing. The savings were good. You will get sticker shock when you fill up in Canada.
Have not found that one and have made that crossing hundreds of times. But there are several gas stations on the US side. I recommend topping up before you cross. I will be heading over again this weekend.

Interestingly enough (and I was in Ontario a week ago) their gas has not taken the huge jump we have seen in Michigan. Last I saw was CD$1.16/liter, which converts to US$3.29/gal, not dramatically more than the $2.99 we are seeing in Michigan right now.

As far as crossing Port Huron to Sarnia is concerned I MUCH prefer that crossing to the Detroit/Windsor one. Not as crowded and much more room for traffic. It is also cheaper - US$3.25 or CDN$4.25. (without a trailer).
Keith J.
Sold the fiver and looking for a DP, but not in any hurry right now.

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer

2nomads
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all so much. Relieves a little worry. It's always good to hear from folks who have been there. ๐Ÿ™‚
2 Nomads
2006 Itasca Sunova
:Z :R and dachshund Harley :E