cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Under Bed Struts

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone replaced the struts under their bed? We have added a gel mattress pad and has made it much harder to lift now. Wondering what size, both length and weight level, to buy. Thank you for your time.
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited
10 REPLIES 10

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Tinstar that's the exact coach I have so I will get Mama to order them. she has PRIME---LOL Thanks a lot.

rwgeiser
Explorer
Explorer
Mr. Lou's struts, almost any length, lift and mounting you would need.
Ron & Del
2003 Fleetwood, Storm 30H
P32 Chassis
Part-Timer, Retired

Tinstar
Explorer
Explorer
ferndaleflyer wrote:
How do you determine what they are if there are no markings on the struts? I need to replace the ones on my Monaco engine bay cover, no markings.

My 2002 Monaco Windsor uses these on the engine hatch.

See them here

Just fyi, they are 150 lbs lift capacity and extended Length from Center Mount to Center Mount is 26.34 in.
:CNever pass up a chance to go somewhere:C

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
An easier and cheaper solution is to just move the attach points on the bed frame to a more vertical position to give you more lift. I moved mine about 1.25 ins when my wife added a memory foam topper.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
How do you determine what they are if there are no markings on the struts? I need to replace the ones on my Monaco engine bay cover, no markings.

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
Those struts wear out after years of use. We added a memory foam mattress too and then I couldn't lift the bed. DH ordered heavier duty ones than were on it. You don't always have to go heavier as you don't want it so the bed won't lay down, but with the heavier mattress, that was what we needed.

They work great. He had also replaced the struts on many/most of the bay storage doors. They are used more and tend to wear out quicker.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

Son_of_Norway
Explorer
Explorer
I ditched the gas struts and installed two linear actuators. Installation isn't any more difficult than the struts and I'm much happier with the result. To lift the back bed I just push a button on my remote. Works even if the bed is full of my wife's stuff as each actuator is rated to 300 lbs. Very economical price on Amazon.
Miles and Darcey
1989 Holiday Rambler Crown Imperial
Denver, CO

jdealcpa
Explorer
Explorer
Hbillsmith x2. Did the same change. Happy.

hbillsmith
Explorer
Explorer
Recommended: Click here Suspa 20" 120# GasProps $19 pair free ship Amazon

BACKGROUND: Traded the TT for a new 2016 FR Wildcat. The mattress was super nice with a cushion top BUT.. we missed the 4" Gel topper we had in the TT. The topper came from Sam's club for $99 and even with a new cushion top mattress, when we added the 4" Gel top...ahhhh..sleep was wonderful BUT...the bed was now so heavy that the gas shocks couldn't lift it and it took 2 of us to put in or take things out from the underbed storage.

SOLUTION: FR uses 80# gas pressure shocks and it turns out that replacing those with a higher pressure shock could be done without having to replace the ball-type brackets. We found the best deal on these 120# replacement shocks and now the wife can lift the bed up (and it stays up) with one hand.

We considered 150# shocks but read somewhere that they might be too hard to close so we went with the 120#. Also, I was concerned that the existing brackets might be over taxed so during the installation, I loosened the brackets and applied Gorilla Super Gel (sparingly is enough) and then retightened. Let it dry and with a simple click-release-swap we pulled off the 80# and put the 120#ers in their same place. Its been 3 years and about 300 camping days since the swap out and I'm glad to report this change was a huge success.
Wildcat2016-295rsx GMC2015-2500HD-DblCab D'max/Allisn+4x4 6.6'Bed
Maxxis235/80/16E;Andersen Ultimate2+4"offset;Airlft1 WirelessComp;GroundCtrl3;MorRyde RubbPinBox+CRE3000;3-Slidecovrs;Champion3100w/DIY ExtndRun;10'Portabote+5hp;Furrion48cam
Visited States

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
Do the existing struts have labels on them? I replaced mine with same size/weight as label...think it was 120lb. We also added a latex mattress pad. Now I don't have to ask my spouse to hold up the bed when I want to get something from storage.

I also replaced all the struts on my outside storage bays. What a difference! There are several online websites...just do a search. Can't remember the name of company I purchased from, but it was the only one that carried all the different sizes/weights that I needed.
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara