cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Solar Trickle charger

nmhuntr
Explorer
Explorer
I have my TT in storage and wanted to put a solar trickle charger on it. What is a good economical one to get?

Thanks
2005 Fleetwood Pioneer ASV 180FK
2018 Ford F-150 3.5 EB 3.55s
13 REPLIES 13

nmhuntr
Explorer
Explorer
Sam Spade wrote:
nmhuntr wrote:

Thanks a lot. All I want is a trickle charger.

To repeat......because this is important......you do NOT want a "trickle charger" because it just keeps going and going whether it needs to or not and over a long period can actually damage your batteries by running them dry.

You NEED a smart battery controller to go along with whatever panel you get.

THEN....if you can charge them up good and completely disconnect them, 90 days later they should still be fine. If they are NOT, then they needed to be replaced anyway.

My bad. When I say trickle charger I mean a controller that charges at a low amperage and monitors when and if a charge is needed.

Acdii
Explorer
Explorer
What Sam said above is true. I made the mistake of putting a 6Watt panel on and connecting direct to the battery. All was good for a while and then the battery was DED dead. It killed the battery. Now I have an AGM connected to a smart controller and 15 watt panel. 3 years now and no problems. The only thing to be mindful of is location.

If the panel is not getting full on direct sunlight, it will not produce enough to keep the battery charged! During the winter, being up north where I am, the angle of the sun is too shallow so over time it will draw down the battery instead of charging it. In my situation since I don't need the battery to power anything I just disconnect it instead, and use the panel spring through fall. In fact, just hooked it up last week and in one weeks time the battery is back to full charge.

Now if I can just figure out why the LED strip lighting failed. Only have a couple 4 led groups firing, the rest are all dark.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
nmhuntr wrote:

Thanks a lot. All I want is a trickle charger.

To repeat......because this is important......you do NOT want a "trickle charger" because it just keeps going and going whether it needs to or not and over a long period can actually damage your batteries by running them dry.

You NEED a smart battery controller to go along with whatever panel you get.

THEN....if you can charge them up good and completely disconnect them, 90 days later they should still be fine. If they are NOT, then they needed to be replaced anyway.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
Battery Tender makes a good one, but mine came from Harbor Freight. It works for me every day.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

nmhuntr
Explorer
Explorer
Ava wrote:
There is not a big draw with these chargers so a reasonable size cord would be fine. Any extension cord that is about 50ft should have at least 16 ga. wire.

Thanks
I am looking at about 15 feet

Ava
Explorer
Explorer
There is not a big draw with these chargers so a reasonable size cord would be fine. Any extension cord that is about 50ft should have at least 16 ga. wire.

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here is a good unit by Eco-Worthy at a good price.

nmhuntr
Explorer
Explorer
Ava wrote:
Battery Tender is a good brand that works great as it will charge then step down to float level. Sorry I just realized you were looking for solar power.

Thanks a lot
Would you know how much an extension cable would effect it?

Ava
Explorer
Explorer
Battery Tender is a good brand that works great as it will charge then step down to float level. Sorry I just realized you were looking for solar power.

nmhuntr
Explorer
Explorer
D.E.Bishop wrote:
I have a Deltran 15 watt charger and it is top of the line. It will keep either the house or the chassis batteries topped off if fully charged when applied. It was very expensive+- $150. If I were to buy mow, I get at least 30 watts. Google Solar battery charges and compare. For $150 I could make one from the wires and battery clips to the controller and a 60 watt panel.

I have no other personal experience, just stuff I've gleaned from the forums.

Thanks a lot. All I want is a trickle charger. Once I get it to the house I can charge them for a couple of days if needed. I just doneโ€™t want the battery to go bad while not in use

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Well you don't want to go TOO cheap......and you don't want it to be just a 'dumb' trickle charger.

I'd say that 15 watts would about minimum; more if you have a LOT of batteries, and it needs to have a "smart" controller with it.

Note: IF the batteries are healthy and fully charged going in, leaving them sit unattended for 90 days or so should NOT be a problem.....IF they are completely disconnected.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Deltran 15 watt charger and it is top of the line. It will keep either the house or the chassis batteries topped off if fully charged when applied. It was very expensive+- $150. If I were to buy mow, I get at least 30 watts. Google Solar battery charges and compare. For $150 I could make one from the wires and battery clips to the controller and a 60 watt panel.

I have no other personal experience, just stuff I've gleaned from the forums.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I use a 30 watt solar panel purchased on Amazon and a twenty dollar WindyNation waterproof controller. Four stage too...bulk, absorption, float and equalization.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad