cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hitch Class?

geaux_lsu
Explorer
Explorer
Newbie Question: How do I tell which class of hitch is installed on a truck? Have begun looking at buying a truck to tow what will be a later purchased travel trailer approx 5500lbs dry weight, 27ft length. When I go to dealer lots or CarMax etc many of the trucks (Ram, GMC etc) 1500 series already have hitches, but how do I tell if it is a Class 3 or 4?
Thanks!
5 REPLIES 5

Acdii
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS wrote:
If the hitch is on a pick up truck, then you can almost be assured that it is a class 3/4 hitch. I say 3/4 because almost all class 3 hitches can be converted to class 4 by the use of weight distribution.

If the truck is one of the newer ones, it may even be a class 5 hitch with the 2.5 inch receiver. My son's Ford F150 came with a 2.5 inch receiver a few years ago. However, my new 2019 Ram 1500 came with a 2" one. The class is determined by the weight capabilities of the receiver. Here is one interpretation of the hitch classes. Here is another. . Be aware that there are others.
Barney

Was going to say the same thing. They are all Class III rated weight carrying 500/5000 (except GM 700/7000). With WDH they go over the 10K limit of Class IV, up to 13,200 with the Ford Max Tow.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
If the hitch is on a pick up truck, then you can almost be assured that it is a class 3/4 hitch. I say 3/4 because almost all class 3 hitches can be converted to class 4 by the use of weight distribution.

If the truck is one of the newer ones, it may even be a class 5 hitch with the 2.5 inch receiver. My son's Ford F150 came with a 2.5 inch receiver a few years ago. However, my new 2019 Ram 1500 came with a 2" one. The class is determined by the weight capabilities of the receiver. Here is one interpretation of the hitch classes. Here is another. . Be aware that there are others.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
Every truck & SUV I've looked at with a 2x2 factory hitch calls it a class 4. IF the vehicle is not too old, there should be a sticker still on it that lists weight specifications.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
There should be a sticker on the receiver somewhere with that information.

I would advise that you decide on a trailer BEFORE purchasing a truck. Nothing worse than realizing that your dream trailer is too heavy/long for the shiny new truck you just bought.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
If you look closely, most hitches will be clearly marked, as to class, and weight carrying with/without WDH.

Jerry