cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Car not tracking straight on tow dolly

Lurker52
Explorer
Explorer
I did a test run with my motorhome and tow dolly (master tow with swivel pans). I discovered that my 2011 Hyundai Tucson tires do not lock straight. When I finished the test run the car was a little off center due to the wheels locking slightly turned in tow. The car was not tracking straight behind the RV.

I am looking into getting the steering wheel adjusted to lock the front wheels straight. I hope this will not be a big deal. I assume it is not good for any of the equipment if the car is not following straight behind the motorhome.

If anyone has had this happen and can suggest some way to resolve it if I canโ€™t get my front wheels to lock straight. I would appreciate any help with this situation.

Thanks,
Lurker
5 REPLIES 5

zigzagrv
Explorer
Explorer
The swivel pan will compensate for the wheels being slightly turned, and the car/dolly will tow straight. As I said before, many miles of towing like this without any problems.

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
Depending on how far off of straight the tires are when the steering wheel is locked. it might just be simpler to lash the steering wheel to keep the wheels straight. Before we bought our Edge, we towed a Chevy on a dolly. The steering wheel did not have a lock so we just lashed it to the seat mount with a ratchet strap which kept the wheel from turning.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

railtrailers
Explorer
Explorer
I just have to ask -----
Are you towing the Tucson with the rear wheels or the front wheels up on the tow dolly?

Lurker52
Explorer
Explorer
Update question

If I load the car and turn the steering wheel to lock and the tires are slightly turned and then strap down the front wheels. Does it stand to figure that the car should track ok. The front wheels would be locked and strapped in place and the dolly pans would turn and steer the car. So, shouldnโ€™t the car then track correctly?

The tires are only about 5 or so degrees from straight. I appreciate your thoughts.

zigzagrv
Explorer
Explorer
I have the same thing happen with my RAV4. I have not had any problems towing like this for many miles. At a stop, I have started up the RAV4 and straightened out the steering, but the next stop the wheels are a bit off again. I don't worry about it any more.

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad