cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fresh water tanks....Can they be Black in Color?

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
My new to me Toyhauler (see sig) has four plastic tanks as follows:

1 - Black tank (40gal)
1 - Gray tank (35 gal)
2 - Fresh water tanks that are connected by a flexible piece of hose. These tanks are supposed to be 60 gals each.

NOTE: ALL tanks above are black in color (black plastic).

Question:
Aren't fresh water tanks supposed to be white/milky white/white translucent in color? Never paid much attention to the color of my other RVs fresh water tanks.

Thanks
2023 GMC, 3500HD, Crew Cab, 6.6L Gas/6 Speed Auto, 4X4, Standard Bed; SRW
2011 Outback 250RS - Anniversary Edition
Equal-i-zer 10K
25 REPLIES 25

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies.

I'll be doing the clorox disenfecting procedures in the next few weeks. I figured the extra fresh water was for gray dumping out in desert (minus the food particles!).
2023 GMC, 3500HD, Crew Cab, 6.6L Gas/6 Speed Auto, 4X4, Standard Bed; SRW
2011 Outback 250RS - Anniversary Edition
Equal-i-zer 10K

mrw8i
Explorer
Explorer
150Gal fresh water, 60 Gal Gray, 60 Gal Black. We've washed mud off the RZR a few times. Sometimes use the outside shower. I rarely fill the fresh water all the way. If just two of us for 2 nights, 50 gal fresh is way more than enough.

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
N-Trouble wrote:
Ski Pro 3 wrote:
ItsyRV wrote:
Ski Pro 3 wrote:
Because most people are either going to use all that water or they are going to waste the cost of hauling all that water. If they use it, the water has to go someplace. Assuming the owner is going to be someplace that has hook ups, then fine, but the hook ups include water too, so why an over sized fresh tank? More likely, and I see this ALL THE TIME, gray water allowed to flow onto the ground in order to make more room for it.

With Toy Haulers, there is an assumption that some of the fresh water will be used (wash down) on the "toys" being hauled in the toy hauler.

Thanks! Now that makes sense! ๐Ÿ™‚

Funny... I have yet to see anyone washing toys with their hauler. Sounds like a sales guy came up with that one. Its all about boondocking folks...

I have a quick disconnect with a garden hose spray nozzle on my rig. I use it after I come back from surfing to rinse off me and wet suit, but I could wash my dirt bikes.
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

dedmiston
nayther wrote:
yep, boondocking has an bottomless tank for grey water. We do our best to use biodegradable soaps. If we're out for an extended stay I dig a small hole under the drain, then crack the grey water valve and let it dribble out. contains the water and if something does make it through you can pull it out of the hole before filling it in. Dirt/gravel make great filters.

I'll slowly trickle my gray water out if I'm getting full. I have an extra bayonet valve on the end that catches any food goobers just in case.

I pulled up to camp once out in Spangler and someone had just left and completely opened up their gray valve and dumped right in camp before they left. The camp spot was completely destroyed because of all the food particles in their gray water. The camp stank and it was covered with flies. Really bad. I'm always super careful to not do that.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
All of my tanks are black.
Every Weekend Warrior made from back in the day was this way.

Lots of fresh and not enough black/grey capacity is pretty normal for toy haulers.
Toy haulers have outside showers, pressure washers etc that use water.
2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
yep, boondocking has an bottomless tank for grey water. We do our best to use biodegradable soaps. If we're out for an extended stay I dig a small hole under the drain, then crack the grey water valve and let it dribble out. contains the water and if something does make it through you can pull it out of the hole before filling it in. Dirt/gravel make great filters.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

Y-Guy
N-Trouble wrote:
Ski Pro 3 wrote:
ItsyRV wrote:
Ski Pro 3 wrote:
Because most people are either going to use all that water or they are going to waste the cost of hauling all that water. If they use it, the water has to go someplace. Assuming the owner is going to be someplace that has hook ups, then fine, but the hook ups include water too, so why an over sized fresh tank? More likely, and I see this ALL THE TIME, gray water allowed to flow onto the ground in order to make more room for it.

With Toy Haulers, there is an assumption that some of the fresh water will be used (wash down) on the "toys" being hauled in the toy hauler.

Funny... I have yet to see anyone washing toys with their hauler. Sounds like a sales guy came up with that one. Its all about boondocking folks...

Our 2005 Raptor came with a pressure washer and a HUGE tank too. I tried using that pressure washer with the onboard tank and water pump once. Yeah that didn't work so well, the breaker on the pressure washer tripped constantly since water pressure wasn't strong enough. We did use the outside shower a lot to rinse off gear from the mud though.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Ski Pro 3 wrote:
ItsyRV wrote:
Ski Pro 3 wrote:

2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
On my TH TT where all tanks are exposed, has FW tanks that are black in color. We can and do carry in excess of 100 gallons of fresh water depending on the type of RVing we are planning to do, we like that it has two black colored fresh water tanks as it does not allow light to penetrate, zero issues with mold in freshwater tanks over a dozen years of use.

At times fresh water in tanks can sit for months at a time, again no issues with algae growth. We learned the hard way to bring fresh water from home for extended boondocking or dry camping, ran into poor quality water on a couple of occasions trying to fill up on the way, no issues since we specked both the trailer and the tow vehicle to handle the nearly 1K# of extra fluids we carry when necessary.

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
ItsyRV wrote:
Ski Pro 3 wrote:

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
On my Toy hauler both of my tanks are black.
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
It's not a problem unless you drink from the wrong black tank. ๐Ÿ˜‰

2nd that!
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Toyhauler on average do more boondocking and why you see larger fresh water tanks. I have an endless grey water tank when I boondock.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
Ski Pro 3 wrote:

1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.