cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FL to Yellowstone 10 weeks out west what to do?

flguppie
Explorer
Explorer
We have a family reunion in Alabama at the end of July where we will need our RV.

So, the DW says, let’s leave next month and go back out west. Two years ago we went to Sedona & the Grandcanyon, Bryce, Zion, RMNP. Let’s go to Yellowstone and Mt Rushmore.

OK......that’s 10 weeks before we need to be in Alabama! :E. We will have 10 weeks to explore. Cool. Im glad she’s willing to break away that long. She said she wants to be in Yellowstone before the crowds get too thick. I agree. But this is last minute. So we found a full hookup site in Yellowstone West for 5 nights the last week in May (we prefer full hookup). But from there.....where? And how long? We will have 6 weeks or more, after Yellowstone, before we have to drive towards Alabama.

Suggestions?
FL-Guppie "small fish in a big pond"
2014 KZSpree Connect 220rbk
2018 Ford F150 SuperCrew 3.5L Ecoboost, maxtow
35 REPLIES 35

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
I'm getting in this late, but while in the Yellowstone area (one of the world's truly great places) don't miss Dinosaur. Plan 2 nights at Vernal.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

richclover
Explorer
Explorer
tragusa3 wrote:
Thanks for the update! I'm excited for you! When you're from the south, it can be hard to fathom Memorial day not being warm enough. Glad to hear it isn't slowing you down.

Right, according to KSL news, Salt Lake City, several of the more popular area high elevation roads and camping areas won’t be open until mid-June or later. Too much remaining snowpack.

In fact it’s 31degF and snowing heavily along I-80, SW WY, again this morning.

Lucky for the OP the highways are just wet. Forecast for Jackson Hole through the weekend calls for highs in the 50’s, lows in the 30’s. Showers every day through 5/29.

Sorry, but don’t shoot the messenger!

http://www.wyoroad.info/highway/webcameras/I80BearRiverDr/I80BearRiverDr.html
Rich
2019 RAM 1500 Classic 4X4 Hemi
2021 CanAm Maverick DS Turbo
Southern NV

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the update! I'm excited for you! When you're from the south, it can be hard to fathom Memorial day not being warm enough. Glad to hear it isn't slowing you down.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
Hey OP... what a great trip, please keep us updated. Thanks
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

flguppie
Explorer
Explorer
OP here. The trip is going great!
We beat streets across the plains to avoid all the tornadoes. I-40 was so rough it about beat us to death, but we made it from S. FL to Santa Fe NM in 5 days. So we got to spend 4 nights in Durango and took the train to Silverton .... and drove to Mesa Verde the day before the snow shut the roads down. Fantastic train trip.... but temps did dip in Durango to 20s at night with light snow. Brrrrrr.

We are in Moab now (much warmer) but headed towards Jackson WY tomorrow. Weather calls for rain and colder, but not freezing. Memorial weekend reservations at Jackson with town activities should be fun, then on to Yellowstone.

Thanks everyone for all the great suggestions. We will play post-Yellowstone (early June) by ear as we monitor the weather. So much to see......so little time.

richclover
Explorer
Explorer
flguppie wrote:
OP here! Thanks everyone for the wonderful suggestions and itineraries. All great suggestions. We leave soon and have reservations near Jackson WY near the Grand Tetons in 12 days. That’s 12 days to drive there (should be about 7-8 days driving time with a few days to stop along the way...12 days should make it easy.). After Grand Tetons, we are booked in West Yellowstone first week of June. After that the world is our oyster. We did booka place near Sturgis and Spearfish and the Black Hills for the week of July 4th as we travel back towards an Alabama reunion end of July. Other than that, it’s open season. If weather permits, after the first week of June (Yellowstone week) we may head to Glacier or over to Craters of the Moon. We will have about 2.5 weeks before Sturgis and Black Hills area. What about Ketchum and Sun Valley? Other ideas?

32degF here this AM. A few inches of snow but not sticking to the pavement. Must be springtime in the Rockies!

How goes the trip?

Our house, elevation 7020' MSL, a little south of I-80, SW WY:

Rich
Southern NV

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
richclover wrote:
Be prepared for weather changes. We consider June 1st the “safe” date for no more hard freezes, but we’ve seen snow in June. In fact, it’s 30 degrees F now. Light snow, but not sticking to the pavement. Back in the 60’s in a few days.
It has been snowing at our house in Denver (elevation 5,900'), since last night and more is predicted for the middle of next week. And we have had snow in Denver on Memorial Day and Labor Day weekends during my 56 years in Colorado. So, I am with those who suggest staying either in the Southwest or delaying higher elevation camping until June, unless you really enjoy winter camping!

If you need some route, campground, or sightseeing info for Colorado, see my blog HERE.
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
How about Glacier and the Tetons, a week at each might be enough time see all. Then from Yellowstone, if your interested just south of Cody Wy is a small town called Thermopolis and if your interested in fossils/dinosaurs, the Wy Dinosaur Center is there and they offer tours of digs that is really interesting.
You could blow a couple of weeks in South Dakota and still not see everything. Would suggest camping in the town of Custer, as it is right in the center of things. 20 minutes to Wind Caves, Custer State Park, Mount Rushmore, etc.... and then the Badlands cant be missed and if you like touristy stuff, Wall Drug will make you smile. And then there is Utah. You could spend a year in Utah and not see it all/

richclover
Explorer
Explorer
flguppie wrote:
OP here! Thanks everyone for the wonderful suggestions and itineraries. All great suggestions. We leave soon and have reservations near Jackson WY near the Grand Tetons in 12 days. That’s 12 days to drive there (should be about 7-8 days driving time with a few days to stop along the way...12 days should make it easy.). After Grand Tetons, we are booked in West Yellowstone first week of June. After that the world is our oyster. We did booka place near Sturgis and Spearfish and the Black Hills for the week of July 4th as we travel back towards an Alabama reunion end of July. Other than that, it’s open season. If weather permits, after the first week of June (Yellowstone week) we may head to Glacier or over to Craters of the Moon. We will have about 2.5 weeks before Sturgis and Black Hills area. What about Ketchum and Sun Valley? Other ideas?

Be prepared for weather changes. We consider June 1st the “safe” date for no more hard freezes, but we’ve seen snow in June. In fact, it’s 30 degrees F now. Light snow, but not sticking to the pavement. Back in the 60’s in a few days. The Mirror Lake Scenic Highway, route 150 south of town, isn’t open yet given the 150% snowpack this winter. I’m having my morning coffee about 2 miles south of I-80, SW WY.

Have fun!
Rich
Southern NV

klr650goldwing
Explorer
Explorer
Park the trailer for this one; Bear Tooth Pass. Begin in Red Lodge, Montana and head towards Yellowstone NP. In addition to being an RVer, I'm also a biker and this road is ALWAYS listed in the top 10 biker roads in the country. I try to go over it every year.
2014 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
2017 F350 6.7 DRW CC LB 4X4
2012 Mercedes E550
2010 Honda Civic
2009 Saab 93 Aero Convertible
2004 Honda Goldwing GL1800
2004 Kawasaki KLR650
1966 Honda 305 Dream

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
I may be a little late with this. We like to travel without a set agenda. Depending on what area we are in and the time of day we want to get off the road we start looking at the campground directory for the area to see what is available. Or, looking for businesses like Cabelas, WalMart, Home Depot, or other large parking areas. Park in some obscure corner, fire the genset and relax.
There are also governemnt owned camping areas not in the directories. We just watch for the signs. If nothing else is available other than a truck stop we can tolerate that for a few hours sleep
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
If you're already in the area and have the time (which you do), you can not miss Glacier! However, make sure Going to the Sun is open before making the trek.

Seeing the Rushmore July 4th celebration would be special.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
So much to see and so little time to see it.

flguppie
Explorer
Explorer