cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low Flow Water Pump for Truck Camper

minimalcamper
Explorer
Explorer
Hi fellow camper owners. (New here BTW.) I have a Lance 805 truck camper, which is a super minimal and lightweight no-frills hard-side truck camper from '07 (edited model from easier typo) . The only water use and plumbing is the single sink. I'm replacing the Flojet 03526-144 water pump, with specs of 2.9 GPM, 50 psi, and 5.2 amps. I'm thinking that I could get by with something more minimal, like under 2 GPM, since all we have is this one sink which splashes at the highest pressure anyway with the existing pump.

What do people think? Should I stick closer to 3 GPM and what I've been using, or could I get by with something like the Seaflo Water Pressure Pump 12V DC 1.2 GPM 35 PSI 21 Series from Amazon? Anybody else using a low-flow pump?
15 REPLIES 15

minimalcamper
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all. I think the hand pump is going way too far for me personally, and that just going from 2.9 GPM to 1.2 GPM is enough to minimize water use and reduce amps. As far as other recommendations, in the future I might consider an accumulator if it seems reasonable, as I like the idea of the pump not needing to run when I run water after my 1 year old goes to sleep. Don't think I will pursue the DC motor speed control option, but good to know it exists.

I did go ahead and order the lower flow Seaflo pump at 1.2 GPM / 35 PSI. After installing it and using it a little I will repost.. I do expect that even this lower flow pump could result in a little splashing at the sink due to the shallowness of the sink and the fact that the pressure will probably still be fairly decent. Simply an issue with not opening valve all the way, but we'll see after the install and make a final assessment.

^ TxGearhead - Yes it is a conventional looking faucet. I might look at aerator options or replacement sinks down the line.

^ Travels with Yoly - Your feedback assures me that lower flow is probably the better decision for me, since I'll use less amps, probably be quieter, and still get adequate flow for my single fixture. I watched your video with the sink flow demonstration, thank you. The one I bought is probably VERY similar to the one you linked to. Seaflow Pump I Bought

Photomike
Explorer III
Explorer III
If there is a valve under the sink then turn that partially off. This will reduce the flow and no switching.
2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
X3 on the pressure causing the splashing. You will have the same pressure at the valve as at the discharge of the pump, until you open the valve. Maybe some minimal frictional losses in the pipe.
I think I would replace the pump with whatever you like. Is the sink valve a conventional residential looking valve, or one of the little black flip handle types?
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Very likely the sink faucet can't flow anywhere near 2.9GPM. It's just that model pump is standard issue and the cheapest one Lance could source at the time.

I understand what you mean about splashing. The sinks on these campers are not very deep, and when some idjit cranks open the faucet, the sudden burst of water comes right up out of the sink. Disciplined faucet handle control is the answer because the issue is the pressure, not the flow. You'd have the same issue with a 1GPM pump as you would with a 50GPM pump.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Travels_with_Yo
Explorer
Explorer
I converted a hand pump system in a similar utilitarian truck camper to a simple, inexpensive pressurized system. See Amazon link .....

Sea Flo 12V pump

I chose this unit largely because of the low power draw (Max 2 Amps) and discharge of 1 GPM. The pump description indicates 40 psi but the one I received is labelled 30 psi. In any case, it was perfect for our needs. It is frugal on water usage yet provides enough flow and pressure to function as an outdoor shower as well (see video)

Eureka Camper Upgrades

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
If you want low flow and simple you might like a manual hand pump. It m ay help you stretch your water usage if that's important.
Link
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Try to understand hydro-mechanics behind water pump.
All TC water pumps have pressure switch and since you use it for small faucet only, it is the pressure, not the flow that makes the splash and 50 psi will be more prone to splashing than 35 psi.
The $29 Seaflo has decent reviews, so sure sounds like good choice.
They don't list weight, but should be lighter than high-capacity pump as well.
Add that lower pressure = less noise to pump.

minimalcamper
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, thanks for the comments so far!

That was a typo on the camper model. Sorry... it is the Lance 805 model from 2007. A nice model they used to make that has no bathroom for those who aren't interested. We value the extra space gain and weight savings, so I found this used model last year that has no water heater, bathroom, or shower.

As far as the splashing I mentioned, this is not a big issue and only occurs because the sink is smaller and sometimes when the pressure is turned up high water will splash around the sink. Not worried about it, and NOT the reason I am buying a new pump.

The reason I am replacing the pump is because it is broken and I tried to fix it already. Don't need help with that, but I am definitely buying a new one. Just deciding if I should buy a new one with nearly the same specs and stick with around 3 GPM, or buy a lower flow pump. I wouldn't mind minimizing water use, as HadEnough asked, but yes we can just turn the faucet on lower too.

Based on responses so far, one of my concerns is dwindling, which was that a lower flow pump would have higher pressure and that would be bad for the plumbing on that model that was previously seeing a high of 55 psi. I won't worry about PSI, partly thanks to kohldad's observation about where the greatest pressure occurs.

My other concern was simply that if I went to a lower flow pump to reduce the amp requirement and provide a milder output from the sink, it would be TOO LITTLE pressure for our preferences. It sounds like it would probably be okay to have less than two GPMs if I really wanted to go that route.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
Replacing the pump should take less than 15 minutes, probably more like 5 minutes. I doubt you will see much difference, but at least you will have a backup pump just in case.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Pumps are pretty easy to change, so if you think you might like it, I say go ahead and put a low flow one in. You could always switch back. I wouldn’t personally restrict the existing pump to lower the flow. I’d be worried about durability.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

HadEnough
Explorer
Explorer
Is this to prevent others from wasting water?

I've installed that slowest pump on boats to do just that. It works. There is no reason not to use it.

I've also installed foot pumps for the same reason. That REALLY slows them down.

Nothing wrong with your plan, but if it's just for you, I'd turn the faucet on less.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Consider this, it will slow your pump down to whatever speed you want.

DC motor speed control
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
I’m not familiar with that model. Did you mean Lance 650? That’s a pretty new camper, and does just have a wet bath with a shower, sink, and toilet. No galley sink.

I don’t think I’d replace the pump if the only problem you’re having is at the sink. The faucet should have a restrictor in the aerator. If it has a removable aerator, you may be able to replace it with a better one from a hardware store.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 ‘Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam types………..Let’s Go Brandon!!!

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
I don't understand the splashing except when the system is first purged of air. To prevent the splashing during purging, just open the faucet before the pump is turned on so there isn't any pressure. Once the air is removed, the water flow should be smooth and only at the volume the faucet is turned on which should be fgrom a trickle to wide open.

Full psi should only be found before the faucet handle so it really doesn't matter if you are using a 50psi or 20psi pump. The difference is only how much water can be pushed through the faucet.

If the splashing is occurring at other times, please explain when it occurs.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)