cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yucatán trip planning

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
We have not been to Mexico in our camper. We are in the planning stage at this point and have been getting information on paperwork, insurance, etc. We are looking to go in the winter of 2020.
I would like to know of any resources for campgrounds. I have seen a book on camping in Mexico by the Churches, but it’s 10 years old and so don’t know if the info is still accurate or relevant.
Thanks.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch
7 REPLIES 7

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
playaboy wrote:
I live on the Caribbean coast and have had many RV's here. I am looking to put together another set-up.

It really depends on your rig as to where you might camp. Are you coming in a truck with a slide in camper? Trailer?

We have a 26’ total length camper.
We are looking at going down the East Coast, but haven’t gotten as far as places to stay.
Ordered the Church’s book today.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
Andersen Hitch

Wm_Elliot
Explorer
Explorer
It's good to see some discussion in this forum again. It's been very slow.

playaboy
Explorer
Explorer
I live on the Caribbean coast and have had many RV's here. I am looking to put together another set-up.

It really depends on your rig as to where you might camp. Are you coming in a truck with a slide in camper? Trailer?

RolandKM
Explorer
Explorer
Our first trip to Mexico was with Baja Amigos and we had a fantastic time. Part of the deal was membership with Discover Baja Travel Club which pre-processed the FMMs (tourist visas) and gave us valuable info on travel in Mexico. Since then, we've traveled extensively throughout Mexico on our our after getting our feet wet with the caravan. We still use Discover Baja for processing and insurance throughout the rest of Mexico as well. Lots of options for you. iOverlander is a great source for camping info as well as Church's. This forum is great as well. Just ask for advice on best places to go, where to stay, how to negotiate the border crossings, etc. and you'll be on track! Buen viaje!

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to both of you.
I will definitely check out the Church’s website and spend more time on the net. We are pretty experienced planning trips overseas and in the states. Taking the camper into another country is a new experience, though.
We have checked out the website of one caravan company just to see what it was all about. That is a possibility and we will keep it in mind.
I’m sure I’ll be back with some more questions.
Thanks again.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
Andersen Hitch

Germania
Explorer
Explorer
We went on Yucatan Trip 15 years ago(with Adventure Caravans),(I can feel the testosterone flowing). I will guarantee you will see more,and do more going the Caravan route.It's more pricey but definitely worth it. We also did the Copper Canyon and Baja trip.However you decide to go you will enjoy it.

Talleyho69
The Church's regularly up date their book on line, so it is fairly current.

This site is also a good resource for up to date campgrounds, and it's hard to beat a general internet search.

I have rewritten the "Stickies" for paperwork, insurance and traveling with pets and just need to post them. You are a great inspiration, and I'll do it very soon.

You will have a great time, and a great adventure. Welcome to Mexico!!! Moderator