cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Class C roof damage

RVerDiane
Explorer
Explorer
My motorhome has some roof damage but I can't afford to replace the entire roof. I had an estimate done and the quote was around $6,000. it's; not worth that. I either want to patch and sell or do repairs and keep for several more years.

The roof has peeled back in places and the plywood has delaminated. Can I cut out the bad stuff and replace that with new plywood, the apply a roof sealant?

I would have someone do the work since I can no longer go on the roof.

There is also water damage inside from that hole.

Opinions? suggestions?

Thanks.

Diane
Diane
Madison, WI
'94 Horizon 21 1/2'
towing '04 Honda CRV
24 REPLIES 24

RVerDiane
Explorer
Explorer
I am wondering what type of product the inside ceiling and walls are made of? As we pulled off the upholstery covered foam on the bunk, we noticed damage to whatever is used to support the bed and staining of the walls from the a/c to the front vent.

I want to pull off some more to see what the damage is there. Can someone explain to me what type of board here.

Thanks again!!

Diane
Diane
Madison, WI
'94 Horizon 21 1/2'
towing '04 Honda CRV

RVerDiane
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,

Thanks to all who have helped me with ideas and where to's. The man who will be fixing the roof want to use 8'.5' Res Pro EPDM rubber roofing. Has anyone used this or know of someone who has? What do you think about using this? If comes by the foot therefore there is less waste.

Thanks. Diane
Diane
Madison, WI
'94 Horizon 21 1/2'
towing '04 Honda CRV

RVerDiane
Explorer
Explorer
I am allergic to mold so to use it I would need to make sure that it's mold free. As far as keeping it, I would use it as long as I can or until I can find another smaller MH. I have no idea really so picked a couple of years at random.

Can you explain what the headliner is?

Thanks Whizbang for the suggestion.
Diane
Madison, WI
'94 Horizon 21 1/2'
towing '04 Honda CRV

winnietrey
Explorer
Explorer
You say you want to keep it for several more years?

If it were me, I would consider the below.
1) new roof, old roof, does not matter on the resale, value much, your rig from your signature is worth a couple of grand tops. (94 horizon)
2) if it were me. I would have someone eterna bond or dicor the living heck out of the roof, to stop the leak
3) I would pull the headliner down give it chance to air out, hit it with some mold killer and call it good.
4) then I would continue to have fun with it and enjoy it.
5) mine is a 2001, if the roof goes south, or the fridge blows up, I will replace them. Because when I run the numbers I want to use it another 15 years, that changes the calculation you are looking at for a couple more years of use

whizbang
Explorer
Explorer
Check the corners, inside and out, when the cabover bunk meets the main body of the RV.
Whizbang
2002 Winnebago Minnie
http://www.raincityhome.com/RAWH/index.htm

RVerDiane
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,

I spent some time out inside the MH today looking for signs of water damage/mold using my flashlight and nose and sense to touch. There is damage up front in the bunk. That's right under the tear in the roof. I expected what I saw. As far as I see/feel is contained to the front area. I check in cupboards, underneath
storage ares and pulled up carpet at the front.

There is, however, a 4" step up to the living area from the front seats. Could there be damage under there?

Where else can I look?

Thanks for reading. Diane
Diane
Madison, WI
'94 Horizon 21 1/2'
towing '04 Honda CRV

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
RVerDiane wrote:
I did but still wasn't sure.

Fair enough.

If you are wanting more info than what you could glean from the search I sent, perhaps do a Google search for dealers in your area and go and chat with them.

Gary
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

RVerDiane
Explorer
Explorer
I did but still wasn't sure.
Diane
Madison, WI
'94 Horizon 21 1/2'
towing '04 Honda CRV

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
RVerDiane wrote:
What is a Rhino liner?

I am guessing you could have Googled it...?

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&ei=__i1XJ7GIsGX0gKx2o64CA&q=rhino+liner&oq=rhino+li...

Gary

mikhen
Explorer
Explorer
Liquid Roof. Easy application. Checkout their testimonials. Mine is on there along with pictures of my roof.

RVerDiane
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the ideas. Yes my nose definitely is helpful in this matter. I can see the water damage inside, front. The guy who looked at my roof said he could feel exactly where it was rotten on top.

I fully expect damage in the walls and floor possibly. I don't feel any problems with the floor where I can walk. But of course I will check that all.

Thanks.

Diane
Diane
Madison, WI
'94 Horizon 21 1/2'
towing '04 Honda CRV

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Right now I need ideas on what to look for and how to fix it.

Wood should feel like wood...hard. If its stained, discolored or soft , that is a sign of water intrusion.

Sign onto 'youtube' ask 'how to repair rv roof leaks'

'how to repair rot in an rv'
you will see visuals of what to look for, what tools to use.

Ideas of a roof repair/fix are rolling in but that may not be your only issue.
***Water will seek its lowest point and settle in places possibly not anywhere near the roof.
This is especially true if your rig was parked, sitting in the same position for long periods of time while it was leaking. That would allow leaking water to travel and pool in areas to which the rig was parked possibly off level.

You could try to peel up a 'tiny bit' of flooring or lift carpeting along the floor edges of certain areas to see if its dry, wet, damp or moldy. The floor should be solid not soft or spongy.
You could open cabinets and drawers to look inside for water stain evidence and discoloration on the 'wood surfaces'.
*** Use a flashlight and use your nose. Sometimes you can smell dampness inside a cabinet before you can see it and a flashlight is certainly your best tool for inspections of dark interior places.

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
joelc wrote:
Check into enternabond products. They have a variety of products and they work.

Eternabond is a great product and is available in 24, 36, and 48" rolls for large repairs. I think this could work well for partial replacement areas. Is fairly spendy, but worth it in my opinion.
Brian

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
RVerDiane wrote:
What does this mean-- 'shoot a whole new membrane.'

Thanks.

Rhino liner is a mixed product. It is prepared acording to the customers design..wants/needs...how much flex.

The application is referred to as 'shooting it'.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=shooting+rhino+liner

Gary