cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Motorcycle Lift on Rear Rad

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone installed a motorcycle lift on a rear radiator coach? I'm just wondering if the heat from the radiator causes problems with the bike, and if the bike causes problems with airflow.

The previous owner of mine installed a CruiserLift, but maybe it didn't work out and that is why he traded - not sure.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed
17 REPLIES 17

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Mile High wrote:
FIRE UP wrote:

There are many, many posts on the cleaning of rear radiators. Some say they have success in doing it while it's still in the coach. Well, based on just how are coach is built, the surrounding area of the entire radiator/shroud/CAC/bracing/exhaust/trans cooler/and a whole lot more, I can't even get a syringe needle near my fins, much less a garden hose with any form of pressure. So, this is why I yank it out of there.
Scott
I guess I'll do some crawling around first to see if its even bad first, before I start a big mess with a hose ๐Ÿ™‚

Some have cut holes in the top side of the shrouds like say, oh, about 12" x 12" or so and just made a door out of what they cut out. Now, they have at least some sort of access to and round SOME of those radiator and CAC fins.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
FIRE UP wrote:

There are many, many posts on the cleaning of rear radiators. Some say they have success in doing it while it's still in the coach. Well, based on just how are coach is built, the surrounding area of the entire radiator/shroud/CAC/bracing/exhaust/trans cooler/and a whole lot more, I can't even get a syringe needle near my fins, much less a garden hose with any form of pressure. So, this is why I yank it out of there.
Scott
I guess I'll do some crawling around first to see if its even bad first, before I start a big mess with a hose ๐Ÿ™‚

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Mile High wrote:
FIRE UP wrote:
Mile High wrote:
FIRE UP wrote:

Oh by the way, we were carrying an '08 Honda GL 1800 Goldwing. While the bike was quite warm, I saw no detrimental effects. As for the coach engine getting warm, it was due to a fin-clogged radiator that I didn't know I had. That condition has since been remedied.

I heard about that fin clogging issue - slobber tube throwing some oil. I going to try to clean mine this spring just for grins

Mile High,
The fin clogging as you noted, was primarily caused by the slobber tube tip, that was too far under the coach. And, it emmited oily fumes which, collected on the CAC and radiator fins which, collected all the dust, debris, leaves, hay, trash bags, grass and anything else that the fan vacuumed up and forced into those fins.

Extend the slobber tube and make darn sure the correct amount of oil is placed in the engine at oil changes,( this primarily applies to C-7 engines with the correct oil pan) and, your fin clogging days are ALMOST ELIMINATED.

I say almost because, the EARTH is dirty. And, driving around on it with a diesel pusher, especially with a rear radiator, you're gonna still accumulate SOME dust, debris, hay etc. It's a given.

On another note, funny you should comment on that picture of the coach and swivel wheel trailer as potentially, possibly being your coach. When I had the Hydralift on ours, I'd taken many photos of it and showed lots of folks here and other RV forums.

Well, one or more of my pics made the circuit in many ways. Several years after I'd removed that Hydralift and moved on to other means of hauling the bike, I was looking in a Craigslist ad about a "Bike Hauler". I clicked on the ad and low and behold, there was a picture of OUR MOTORHOME, WITH OUR LIFT, SHOWING OUR GOLDWING!!!!

I have considered those swivel wheel trailers, many times. At present, we haul the bike on a Rampage lift/carrier in the back of our '11 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4x4. It works great. But, we'd like to bring along our Jeep with the bike and, we can't do it because I've removed the Hydralift several years ago. Still might go the swivel wheel route yet.
Scott
That is too funny on the pic! Once it hits the net, its public that is for sure. I put a picture on IRV2 and noticed it a month later as a lead photo on one of their articles, unfortunately for the "wrong way" to do something ๐Ÿ™‚

It looks like Swivel Wheel has something that allows for a toad behind it - I haven't looked serious but it must be a real stout frame under the trailer to support that extended receiver.

Did you clean your radiator yourself, or have it done?

Yep,
No doubt about it, once you put your fingers on a computer, whatever you send out, is game for everyone. Not "fair game" but, non the less, game. As for cleaning the radiator, well, it's a really, really long story but, I won't go into it now. Suffice to say, I developed a leak several years ago and, as stated, the coach got a bit warm on a grade on our first trip with it.

When we got home, I tore into the beast. I've been a DIY type for oh, maybe 50 years now and, I'd had more engines, cars, boats, motorhomes, fire trucks, space ships, submarines etc. apart than I care to admit. So, yanking that radiator and CAC out was pretty much nothing. It's all just HEAVIER than normal.

Needless to say, due to the fact that the slobber tube on our C-7 had not been extended and was at the factory exit point, that radiator and CAC were seriously coated and therefore, loaded up with all that has been mentioned above. It took me an entire gallon of ZEP Citrus based degreaser and a pressure washer to get those fins clean. And, not only that but, the radiator in those has a steel frame around it and the debris was so tucked in to the edges and corners, that steel frame HAD TO COME APART in order to clean the radiator thoroughly.

The first time I did it, it took me about 6 hours to get it all apart and out on saw horses. I was goofing around. The second time I did it, it took me about 3.5 hours and I still was not working at break-neck speed. But, I'm retired and don't really need to work at Indy pit crew speed.

Scott

Hey Chum,
Boy, you sure get your panties in a wad quickly don't you? They make pills for that.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
KI60ND

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
"Posted By: Chum lee on 04/13/19 02:03pm

Generally, the air coming off the engine of the motorcycle (air cooled) is far hotter than what comes out of the radiator of a diesel engine.

Not exactly. I ran an infrared heat gun in multiple areas of the radiator, the bike, the rear grill of the coach and more and, without a doubt, the heat coming off the rear of that coach is either equal or above that heat that comes off my Wing motor.
Scott"

So, clearly Scott, you didn't even read my post. I clearly mentioned "air cooled." No matter. Did you point your IR gun at the exhaust ports on the cylinder heads, the radiator, or, at the exhaust pipes on your . . . . water cooled Wing? (when it's operating at speed and under load) I don't think so! Ya see it's like this. If ya don't have the IQ to point the IR gun at the right places at the right times, the data you get is . . . . . meaningless. You needn't reply. The OP's question has been answered!

Chum lee

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
FIRE UP wrote:
Mile High wrote:
FIRE UP wrote:

Oh by the way, we were carrying an '08 Honda GL 1800 Goldwing. While the bike was quite warm, I saw no detrimental effects. As for the coach engine getting warm, it was due to a fin-clogged radiator that I didn't know I had. That condition has since been remedied.

I heard about that fin clogging issue - slobber tube throwing some oil. I going to try to clean mine this spring just for grins

Mile High,
The fin clogging as you noted, was primarily caused by the slobber tube tip, that was too far under the coach. And, it emmited oily fumes which, collected on the CAC and radiator fins which, collected all the dust, debris, leaves, hay, trash bags, grass and anything else that the fan vacuumed up and forced into those fins.

Extend the slobber tube and make darn sure the correct amount of oil is placed in the engine at oil changes,( this primarily applies to C-7 engines with the correct oil pan) and, your fin clogging days are ALMOST ELIMINATED.

I say almost because, the EARTH is dirty. And, driving around on it with a diesel pusher, especially with a rear radiator, you're gonna still accumulate SOME dust, debris, hay etc. It's a given.

On another note, funny you should comment on that picture of the coach and swivel wheel trailer as potentially, possibly being your coach. When I had the Hydralift on ours, I'd taken many photos of it and showed lots of folks here and other RV forums.

Well, one or more of my pics made the circuit in many ways. Several years after I'd removed that Hydralift and moved on to other means of hauling the bike, I was looking in a Craigslist ad about a "Bike Hauler". I clicked on the ad and low and behold, there was a picture of OUR MOTORHOME, WITH OUR LIFT, SHOWING OUR GOLDWING!!!!

I have considered those swivel wheel trailers, many times. At present, we haul the bike on a Rampage lift/carrier in the back of our '11 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4x4. It works great. But, we'd like to bring along our Jeep with the bike and, we can't do it because I've removed the Hydralift several years ago. Still might go the swivel wheel route yet.
Scott
That is too funny on the pic! Once it hits the net, its public that is for sure. I put a picture on IRV2 and noticed it a month later as a lead photo on one of their articles, unfortunately for the "wrong way" to do something ๐Ÿ™‚

It looks like Swivel Wheel has something that allows for a toad behind it - I haven't looked serious but it must be a real stout frame under the trailer to support that extended receiver.

Did you clean your radiator yourself, or have it done?

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Mile High wrote:
FIRE UP wrote:

Mile High,

Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
KI60ND

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all, it sounds like I may be fine. I want to be able to tow the Jeep and lift the bike, but I'll have to get the lift itself. I have the 3-receiver hitch assembly already welded to the back.

Interesting, I visited the Cruiserlift website and noticed a MH like mine with the Swivelwheel, which uses the same 3-receiver hitch assembly by Cruiserlift. It's not a real popular color, so I wonder if that actually was my MH. That would be kind of funny.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
FIRE UP wrote:

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Mile High wrote:
Has anyone installed a motorcycle lift on a rear radiator coach? I'm just wondering if the heat from the radiator causes problems with the bike, and if the bike causes problems with airflow.

The previous owner of mine installed a CruiserLift, but maybe it didn't work out and that is why he traded - not sure.

Mile High,
Yes, I did just what you're asking. I installed a Hydralift on the back of our '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP. Yes, it's a rear radiator. After the install, we loaded the bike and headed out on our first trip. It involved the "Baker Grade" that's on the way from San Diego to Las Vegas. It's one pain in the bu.. grade. That coach got a bit warm on that grade, as do many. I pulled over near the top of, a pull off called Haloran Summit and stopped the coach while I got out and checked the bike to see if the heat coming off that rear radiator coach, had any affects on the Hondas paint.

So, to answer your question, no, there is no negative effects of the heat coming off the radiator of that coach, on the bike.

Posted By: Chum lee on 04/13/19 02:03pm

Generally, the air coming off the engine of the motorcycle (air cooled) is far hotter than what comes out of the radiator of a diesel engine.

Not exactly. I ran an infrared heat gun in multiple areas of the radiator, the bike, the rear grill of the coach and more and, without a doubt, the heat coming off the rear of that coach is either equal or above that heat that comes off my Wing motor.
Scott

Click For Full-Size Image.
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
KI60ND

Supercharged
Explorer
Explorer
Mile High wrote:

I new a guy who put a HD 74 on one and when he got there it was a trail bike.
So big a world, so little time to see.

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
We have seen many, side and rear radiator. never had a guest tell us of any problems. The vorticie behind the coach is plenty to overcome any slight reduction of cargo.
One guest had a neat solution to keep his 800# H/D FLHTCU clean, he made steel hoops that fit into sockets on the lift, then a vinyl zippered cover with a 8" 'hose' that went to an air scoop on the roof. The scoop and hose sent clean air down around the bike. Coach was rain & road dirty, bike was spotless.

Bill1374
Explorer
Explorer
Had an Overbilt lift on the back of my Phaeton. It handled my Harleys just fine, either the Road King or Fatboy. Occasionally, I would get a bit of oil film on the engine but a quick wash would clean the bike up. Grreat way to bring your mc with you as the Overbilt is also set up to tow a toad.
KZ Montego Bay in Florida
Rockwood lite up north
2016 HD Street Glide, 12 Fatboy for cruisin

MrWizard
i carried a 'scoot' on the back of our rear raditor DP for 8 years
never noticed any additional heating problems to the engine
or heat damage to the bike
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer

Chum lee