cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Coleman lantern

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
Who still uses the good ol ultra reliable Coleman liquid fuel lanterns? I have a bit of a collection and use them all the time
My oldest is from the 20's
Proud father of a US Marine
43 REPLIES 43

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Here's the one I was talking about earlier. My son is "borrowing" it to augment the oldies design in my 8 month old grandsons room.
Scott

Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
The first Coleman gazz lantern I bought is at the bottom of a lake under a RR bridge. The RR track over the bridge was a local run that Union Pacific used twice a week and on a schedule (daylite runs).
11 oclock at nite my Coleman hung from the 200' long bridge over 13-15' of water that the locals kept brush and bait for crappie.
We heard a train whistle and everyone went to cranking up their rods and reels/bait buckets/fish stringers/coolers/etc and made the dash to the closest end of the bridge. UP Main line shut down and some trains were routed over this line to connect farther down to another main line.
Well we all made it in time to look back and see the lantern shining brightly...till the engine cut the rope that we tied around the rails.

I have a '72 Coleman lantern. Still use it. At the same time I bought a 2 burner Coleman stove which we still use in on certain functions. Lots of memories with them both with the kids and family/friends/neighbors camp trips.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
Gjac wrote:
mdcamping wrote:
Hi Gary, this is at Nickerson Park Campground. Chaplin, CT. Our riverside site is on the Natchaug River which has been our yearly trout fishing trip!

Mike
Nice, I was just at Macedonia SP this week with my son and GS. We caught 13 trout on Wednesday and another 6 Thursday morning before the rain started. The CG was fairly empty.

Hey Gary, you did better than us, just 3 for us. Talked to one of the locals at Nickersons and the fishing has gone down hill the past few yrs and word is out that CT DEP is stocking the more urban areas.

I went with my 2 sons, we checked in late Wednesday and was planning on leaving Sunday but bailed on Friday because of the rain.

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
mdcamping wrote:
Hi Gary, this is at Nickerson Park Campground. Chaplin, CT. Our riverside site is on the Natchaug River which has been our yearly trout fishing trip!

Mike
Nice, I was just at Macedonia SP this week with my son and GS. We caught 13 trout on Wednesday and another 6 Thursday morning before the rain started. The CG was fairly empty.

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer

Mike
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is not even dark yet and the Coleman is going along with an outdoor porch light and the party lights. That's why I like boondocking in one image.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
mdcamping wrote:

This past week :C

Mike
Nice campsite Mike, where was the picture taken?

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer

This past week :C

Mike

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
2manytoyz wrote:
I had a couple of Coleman liquid fuel lanterns for many years, but they weren't as reliable as the propane ones that replaced them. Even when I was trying to take a pic to compare the light output, the Coleman fuel one just wouldn't cooperate.

As time went on, I moved from corded power tools, to cordless ones.

The 18V Dewalt fluorescent worklight is great. It has a cover over the bulb to protect it, and direct the light. If I need 360 lighting, the cover slides off. Stays cool to the touch, no worries of it falling over and starting a fire.

It will run about 3.5 hours per battery. I always bring spare batteries, and the charger. I prefer to do this, rather than haul liquid fuel, or even 1 lb. propane bottles.

I still have two propane lanterns, and I keep them around for extended power outages at home since we live in hurricane prone FL.

I bet by now that they have LED Dewalt lights that would be even more efficient, and more reliable, then your fluorescent.

2manytoyz
Explorer
Explorer
I had a couple of Coleman liquid fuel lanterns for many years, but they weren't as reliable as the propane ones that replaced them. Even when I was trying to take a pic to compare the light output, the Coleman fuel one just wouldn't cooperate.

As time went on, I moved from corded power tools, to cordless ones.

The 18V Dewalt fluorescent worklight is great. It has a cover over the bulb to protect it, and direct the light. If I need 360 lighting, the cover slides off. Stays cool to the touch, no worries of it falling over and starting a fire.

It will run about 3.5 hours per battery. I always bring spare batteries, and the charger. I prefer to do this, rather than haul liquid fuel, or even 1 lb. propane bottles.

I still have two propane lanterns, and I keep them around for extended power outages at home since we live in hurricane prone FL.
Robert
Merritt Island, FL
2023 Thor Quantum KW29
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TOAD
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon TOAD
Falcon 2 Towbar, Roadmaster 9400 Even Brake System
http://www.2manytoyz.com/

ZINGERLITE
Explorer
Explorer
My Grandpa gave my his old lantern and stove this last fall. I'm pretty excited about it still. Camping smells and sounds that i never want to disappear!

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
We have three lanterns. One, a new wazoo 4-D cell LED one that's pretty good and also somewhat versital in that it can sit or hang. The second one we have is a somewhat modern Coleman one that still uses mantles and it has a clear globe. It works too, very nice. as for those that claim they're too bright, THAT'S WHAT THE CONTROL IS FOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You can turn them down to a low glow!

Then, the third one we have is from what we can determine, a 1925 version. The mechanism inside the globe is ancient and has a cleaning rod that you rotate a small handle and it moves up into an orifice to clean out the burn tube. And, get this, the air pump, is separate from the tank. Yep, that little air pump is attached via a chain and is like a little syringe with a nipple on the end.

When we first light that thing off, sometimes we're afraid the neighbors are gonna call in an FD first alarm. It flames and goes nuts for about 30 seconds or so. Then, all that heat from the flames, heats of the main burn tube inside the globe and that heat, begins to generate the gas that's needed for a cleaner burn and what creates the light from it. It's a cool little lantern.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Light pollution is an issue in public campgrounds in the summer. The old Coleman's are good for task lighting like reading or skinning a deer, but they are too bright for regular use. Some groups have one or two of them going all the time. Every kid has a flashlight. Some have laser lights in the trees. One guy kept turning on his bright headlights aimed right at my camp fire. It is too much. Keep enough light so you can see.

When fires are legal, I use the firelight to see. I set up a canopy frame and use old canvas tipi liners to block the wind and reflect the light. A couple of cheap solar lights can help people avoid tripping at night.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
suprz wrote:
Gjac wrote:
I keep my lantern and stove in the MH. I use the stove every trip but I find the mantles on the lantern crumble during travel so I rarely use it any more. I still have leather cups and other parts from a WW2 lantern I had. The stove requires a lot of maintenance lantern not as much.

You can try something that has worked for me, after I use the lantern and it has cooled off I spray the mantles with hairspray. It works to make them a bit less susceptible to movements and a bit more sturdy
I would never have thought of that, I will have to try that one. I store my lantern in the basement storage area in the rear right next to the rear tires, and the pot holes and frost heaves in the NE causes a lot of vibration.