cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Truck and camper height and overpass question?

Freeborn530
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2004 Bigfoot 9'6' camper on a 2006 Dodge 2500, the camper does have AC. any estimates of total height?
How often and where is it likely to encounter a overpass to low to travel under?
24 REPLIES 24

run100
Explorer
Explorer
mattyj wrote:
I look at clearance signs but if its close I get out of the truck and look.

I do the same at drive-thru tellers. :E
2012 F350,6.7L Diesel,4x4,CC,SB,SRW
2013 Lance 855S

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
Anything you won't fit under should be very well marked as that is lower than the std. max height for highway travel.
I wish that were true. An illegally-low branch on a tree totaled our previous TC. There was no warning sign. The only warning was the
C R U N C H.

Bedlam
My setup is just under 13.5โ€™ and I just went through this while visiting NC. Many rail bridges are under 12.5โ€™ and I had to take alternate truck routes or not get into some towns.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

SugarHillCTD
Explorer
Explorer
That's the infamous 11'-8" underpass. (did you post that as an image or a link?)

But here is a really nasty one- 10'- 6"

https://youtu.be/V3-UugI0JoA
John & Cathy
'12 Chevy 2500HD CC 4x4 sb
'16 Cougar 25RKS w/ Andersen rail mount
'13 Eagle Cap 850 (sold). B4 that a few other TCs and a TT

cross21114
Explorer
Explorer
Here's one bridge to stay away from in Durham, NC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USu8vT_tfdw

Sorry, don't know why this is not a clickable link.
Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
BradW wrote:
The tunnels I worry about are on the south end of the Blue Ridge Parkway.

If theyโ€™re any smaller than this one, you wonโ€™t fit!

I think this is one of the tunnels on US16A (Iron Mountain Road) on the way to Mt. Rushmore. Or maybe itโ€™s on the Needles Highway. Anyway, I had measured the camper height, and knew exactly how much clearance I needed. I remember the tunnelโ€™s stated height was just a few inches more than I needed. I also remember scraping one of the side mirrors on the tunnel wall as we went through. The boss was too nervous to ride in the truck, so she took the cat and walked behind me. This was about 1989 with my 1984 F250 and my first TC, a brand-new 9.5 ft Jayco.

Edit: after refreshing my memory, I think this is in fact the โ€œNeedles Eye Tunnelโ€, and it may have been the width that was just a few inches more than I needed. Iโ€™ve slept since then :W Either way, it was a tight squeeze.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
K Mac wrote:
Garden State Parkway, but RV's are allowed to use it, commercial vehicles are not, just be careful though because it has a lot of arched overpasses that are LOW on the outer lanes, best to stay in the
center lanes.

Isnโ€™t the majority of the Garden St Pkwy (where the arched overpasses are) 2 lanes?

Edit-My bad; I am thinking of Merrit Pkwy in CT.

Sorry...
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II
The tunnels I worry about are on the south end of the Blue Ridge Parkway.
Wake Up America
2019 Lance 1062 and 2018 F-350 CC PSD 4X4 DRW
Tembrens, Rear Roadmaster Sway Bar, Torklift 48" Extention and 30K Superhitch
Our New Lance 1062 Truck Camper Unloading at Dealer Photos

scooterh
Explorer
Explorer
Also pay attention to arch type tunnels. Some will have maximum height in the center at the zipper and a different height listed for the lowest mark at the fog line. Watch your speed. if you are within a couple inches, your suspension can compress on rough road and lift you enough to be over height. Watch for roads that have been resurfaced. Road crews have been known to forget to check overpass height after a resurface on an asphalt highway.

Z-Peller
Explorer
Explorer
When you have determined what your height is, then post it on your rearview mirror in both feet and meters for quick reference when you approach an overpass, see the clearance sign and suddenly panic trying to remember what your height is.
Bill..
2017 Bigfoot 10.4 camper...2016 GMC 3500 4x4 Xcab Duramax Dually...

K_Mac
Explorer
Explorer
Here in N.Y. we have quite a few "Parkways", especially in Westchester County,& Long Island's, Nassau,& Suffolk Counties. Parkway's are designated for passenger cars only. New Jersey also has the Garden State Parkway, but RV's are allowed to use it, commercial vehicles are not, just be careful though because it has a lot of arched overpasses that are LOW on the outer lanes, best to stay in the
center lanes.

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
I have the problem Kd4 talks about in my PA neighborhood. Its old Pennsylvania railroad area. I live real close to the old Lancaster Highway and original Phila to Lancaster and Harrisburg railroad routes (built 1834). Many Underpasses are over 150 years old. Most are arched tunnels that are 12' or less.

Our PA home is actually right off the original King's Highway which went between Phila and Lancaster starting 1733. yes you need to measure to know for sure.

Don't have underpass problem (or them **** buggies) at our new home in Central Florida
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
GeoBoy wrote:
Why New York State?

I could be mistaken, but I think it was New York that has higher speed highways that also are less than 12โ€™.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
I agree under 12 probably closer to 11โ€™6โ€. In any case, you should be pretty good on the West coast. Apparently, the only place you are going to have a lot of issues is up around New York state. Not saying there arenโ€™t gas stations etc that wonโ€™t be lower because there are!

As others have said, do measure it just to be sure.

Why New York State?