cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5th wheel hitch

twinstick
Explorer
Explorer
I know it's been talked about a lot, but I'm looking for a new 5th wheel hitch. I currently have a reece 15k slider hitch. I've had this hitch for able 8 years, my dad had it before me for maybe another 6.

With my old f250 I needed to slide it for maneuvering. About 2 years ago I bought a GMC 2500 sb and gave not had to move it since. The axle is further back on a GMC and I think if I did slide it, it would get into the tailgate. With that said the old reece hitch is starting to make a lot of noise and I'm looking for a new one.

I've narrowed it down to about 2 that I like, but I'm open to options. Id like to keep it to around 5-600 dollars if I can. Only must haves are it must not slide, and it had to have a positive lock on the handle, meaning something I can pin closed.

The 2 that I've found that I think I like are as follows.

Curt dual jaw 16k
https://www.etrailer.com/Fifth-Wheel/Curt/C16120.html

Doesn't seem too bad for$430. Should do everything I want it to.

The other one is a b&w Patriot. I know b&w makes great stuff.
https://www.etrailer.com/Fifth-Wheel/B-and-W/BWRVK3200.html

I like the looks of it, the only problem I see it that minimum height is 16". I just measured my hitch at 15". That's pretty important do to how I have to get in and out of my driveway.
What's your thoughts? I appreciate all the help, Clayton.
23 REPLIES 23

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
twinstick wrote:
Finally pulled the trigger on a new hitch. Ordered the b&w 16k from etrailer. Man what beef. I can't wait to tow with it.

snip...

Good call and welcome from your President of the "B&W HEAVY WEIGHT FanBoy Club" !!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

twinstick
Explorer
Explorer
Finally pulled the trigger on a new hitch. Ordered the b&w 16k from etrailer. Man what beef. I can't wait to tow with it.

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
jaycocamprs wrote:
After 14 years with a Reese 16K Select I got a B&W for the new truck with the factory mounts It was money well spent.

I assume you thought the REESE was good until you experienced using the B&W.

I felt that way going from a RBW to B&W. No comparison!

The Reese isn't a bad hitch, but it is certainly an economy or entry level hitch. It was what the dealer installed in 04 when we bought our 1'st 5'ver. It served us well for many years. Every year I pulled the head inspected the underside and lubed all the moving parts. However after 14 years it was showing itโ€™s age.
The B&W is not an economy or entry level hitch. The construction is much better, IMHO both material & workmanship. Material is heavier gauge, machine work is to much closer tolerances. The Reese hitch moved in the rails, there was movement in the jaw area, and in the pivot points. Most if not all this movement is gone with the B&W and the GM factory mounts.
Biggest reason for the change is the new 2018 truck. We ordered the truck with factory hitch prep. This was easier & cheaper than having rails added later. This choice then led to either an adapter or a new hitch. I could not see spending the $$ on an adapter, then putting a 14 year old hitch in a new truck. January 2018 the choice of hitches for GM was Curt & B&W. Having seen both hitches it was not a hard choice.
For a fixed hitch the B&W is as good as any, and better than a lot. If I needed a slider I would likely go with a SuperGlide, if I had the $$$ maybe an air-ride hitch. But for now the B&W is good, and Iโ€™m happy with it!
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
Two reasons for me doing the pull test is knowing it is ok to go and using the brake to hold the awesome alpenlite that is the 2nd reason for doing both. We all have our way of doing things.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
MFL wrote:
I mentioned ease of use, in earlier post, to elaborate, it has a cam style operation of the jaws, by use of a rotating handle. This allows very easy hook up/unhook of the king pin at any angle, even with truck uneven to trailer. A visual look test, jaws closed around the pin, handle closed, locking pin in place, it will not open, you are ready to tow.

Jerry

True Dat!!!

I never do a pull test I do a "VISUAL" test with my B&W. Handle locked in place and jaws closed around kingpin good to go!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I mentioned ease of use, in earlier post, to elaborate, it has a cam style operation of the jaws, by use of a rotating handle. This allows very easy hook up/unhook of the king pin at any angle, even with truck uneven to trailer. A visual look test, jaws closed around the pin, handle closed, locking pin in place, it will not open, you are ready to tow.

Jerry

grampscamper
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for the B&W.
2019 Grand Design Reflection 230RL
2020 Ford F250 Lariat CC SB 4X4 6.7 B&W Companion RVK3300

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Bought a used Reese 16k from dealer cuz it had the 4-way swivel head when we had a '03 F250 SD. When we got our '15 F350, it was a off the lot purchase and it didn't have the puck system, so went w/ Reese rails and brackets. Wasn't too bad and did what it was supposed to do. Then we got the new coach, it was much heavier than the old one, so decided to upgrade the hitch, yet still use same rails and frame brackets. B&W 18K Patriot was had and YES this thing is beefy. Had to enlarge 1 hole in rail cuz it didn't fit 100%. Hitch was day and night ahead of the Reese. Last year we upgraded truck, again, off the lot and no puck system, so went w/ B&W rails and brackets. OMG they are soo much more heft to them than the Reese was. In short, the B&W IS a much more weighty hitch, but man-o-man am COMPLETELY happy I went with B&W.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
jaycocamprs wrote:
After 14 years with a Reese 16K Select I got a B&W for the new truck with the factory mounts It was money well spent.

I assume you thought the REESE was good until you experienced using the B&W.

I felt that way going from a RBW to B&W. No comparison!

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
twinstick wrote:
I think if I did slide it, it would get into the tailgate.

Many do when slid back. In case you keep your slider, there are things you can do for this. I have two chains and carabiners that hold my gate open a few inches to keep it out of the way when slid back. Keeping in mind I'm not traveling and great distances or at high speeds.

I found out the hard way my 5th didn't clear the gate when turned. It sure looked like it was going to ๐Ÿ™‚

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
azdryheat wrote:
Be careful with that Trailair hitch. I had the Trailair/Triglide and two of those three rollers on mine broke their welds leaving one roller to keep the trailer attached to the hitch. Those hitches aren't sold any more.

BTW, I'm very satisfied with my CURT hitch.

TRUE the TriGlide is no longer. Mine is "rated" at 21k and I have towed 23k behind mine since day one. When towing doubles I am at 25k.

I am sure YOU greased "ALL 9 Zerks" but many did knot have a clue about the 3 hidden ones.

I grease mine with AMZ/OIL Synthetic and so far so good. If it takes a **** I will weld it solid.

jerem0621
Explorer
Explorer
You can always rebuild your hitch, they sell replacement jaws and springs from eTrailer for your dual jaw Reese. Iโ€™m sure you can also buy the fixed legs for your Reese and take the Slider assembly off. That should make things a little more quiet.

My dad has a Curt 20k slider and never had a single chucking issue. I suspect that there were other factors at play for some who had chucking with the Curtโ€™s that chuck.

B&W makes a great product and you canโ€™t go wrong with them.

Thanks,

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Be careful with that Trailair hitch. I had the Trailair/Triglide and two of those three rollers on mine broke their welds leaving one roller to keep the trailer attached to the hitch. Those hitches aren't sold any more.

BTW, I'm very satisfied with my CURT hitch.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE