cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replace carpet with dog friendly surface floors

oldcarfun
Explorer
Explorer
I know talented people do it themselves but we are seniors and are beyond this kind of project. We went to a local company that does cosmetic upgrades to RVs and they said 40 hours of work and about 5-6k. We have 2 slides but really don’t need our LR slide done. They said sometimes Winnebago needs additional support under the slides . Does this sound reasonable? It is not worth that much money to us but I could see 3k plus supplies. Has anyone had it done?
Oldcarfun
2009 Itasca Suncruiser 35L
2005 Jeep GC Toad
10 REPLIES 10

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our older dog has trouble walking on any of the smooth and slippery surfaces. We'll keep the carpet. It's warmer and gentler on her joints.

FloridaRosebud
Explorer
Explorer
oldcarfun wrote:
FloridaRosebud, thanks for the additional info. Honestly, I think it will take a 2-man crew 40 hours.

That sounds reasonable. I understand that most of the furniture needs to be removed, and the old floor removed. So I figure 2 guys one day to remove stuff, and one day to put it back. Gives them three full 8 hour days to remove the floor and lay the new one. So at $100 per hour maybe $9k isn't out of the ballpark. It's just not worth that much to me right now.

Al

oldcarfun
Explorer
Explorer
FloridaRosebud, thanks for the additional info. Honestly, I think it will take a 2-man crew 40 hours.
Oldcarfun
2005 Jeep GC Toad

FloridaRosebud
Explorer
Explorer
We've had a couple of quotes to replace our floors with the new high end vinyl. 33 foot National Seabreeze. First quote was $13,000, second was $9,000. I just laughed. While it's not a project I would choose to tackle, I'm surly not paying those prices.

Al

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have read this subject line a few times.. I will tell you a story.

Had not a dog but a cat. he'd run across the carpet in the living room then onto the tile floor in the kitchen and WHAM he could not turn or stop on the tile floor and hit the wall. HARD ENOUGH TO BREAK HIS JAW.

Now there Dogs often come RUNNING. I'd worry about him sliding into the wall on non-carpeted floors.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

erniee
Explorer
Explorer
Whoever says that the slides need modifications, removed, or whatever else needs done to them are just wanting to take your money. AKA liars.
No slides are affected when I do flooring.
Ernie Ekberg, Prevost Liberty XL Classic

Acampingwewillg
Explorer
Explorer
If I was 10 years younger I'd come over 126 to help DIY it with ya. I certainly understand the want and need when you have doggies. Heck, I tiled the whole house after original white carpet went out the window with our older Collies. Did the same in the MH with tile and wood but No slides on ours.
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just in case your dog is large or older, you may still want to have area rugs for the dog to lay on. My older Great Pyr had trouble on the slick flooring trying to get up. Once we put the area rugs down she would lay on them and had no problem getting up.

oldcarfun
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you, good to have a name and recommendation.
Oldcarfun
2005 Jeep GC Toad

navigator2346
Explorer
Explorer
Give this guy a call. We have had work done by him and it is excellent. A one man shop in Eugene,OR. I would suggest a trip to OR to save the high tax you would pay in CA. The expensive part is the tearing out of the old floor, especially if it is tile, carpet not much. Just saw a floor he installed in a Country Coach, very nice.

Bobby Voden
Kustom Coach Works
541-501-3371 cell

https://kustomcoachworksrv.com/