cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cabinet Modifications

ADK_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
My water pump is located in a cabinet behind a fixed panel. To access the pump for winterizing required removing four screws. I eliminated the screws and substituted magnetic cabinet latches to make removing the panel easy. It turns out this is a favorite hangout for mice. Now I can easily remove the panel to place/check traps for the unwelcome visitors.

This is a before picture showing the fixed panel at the bottom. The top shows a tambour door I made to close off an otherwise open cabinet. The door is made from screen molding glued to a piece of canvas.

I attached panel molding to the original panel to cover the screw holes and add some style. A drawer pull at the top allows me to just pull off the panel when needed.

Here you can see the magnets attached to the cabinet frame, and the catches attached to the back of the removable panel.

This picture shows the tambour door opened with a two drawer cabinet I made to fit inside. These are our "kitchen junk drawers" where we keep pens, pencils, tape, scissors, ruler, scratch pad, playing cards, etc.
10 REPLIES 10

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer
Great looking job. Looks like it was built like that at the factory.

I did the same, except I made my enclosure to work like a cabinet door.

Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

ADK_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
bob213 wrote:
Great job! Did you have to remove the counter top to make your track for the tambour door?

No, you don't have to remove the counter. The whole assembly can be completed "off line" and then simply installed by securing the two tracks to the sides of the cabinet and then threading the tambour into the track from the backside. Here's some pictures to explain the process:

This photo, taken from inside the cabinet shows the track and the tambour threaded into the track. The track is made from stock 1"x2" with a dado routed to hold the tambour. You need a simple template to route the dado as shown in the following picture.

Just temporarily attach the template to the track and use a router with a straight bit and a guide bushing to cut the dado.

This photo shows a dry fit of the completed assembly ready for installation into the cabinet.

Making the tambour itself is very easy. Start by finishing the front side of the screen molding. DO NOT finish the back. Cut as many pieces to length as needed. Cut a piece of fabric slightly bigger than the finished tambour dimensions, and lay it face down. Clamp a framing square over the bottom and right side edges. Then apply glue to a piece of molding and lay on the fabric tight along the bottom of the framing square and tight into the corner. Continue gluing molding tight against the previous strip and into the right side of the square. When the glue has partially set, remove the square and lift the tambour gently flexing it to make sure that none of the molding pieces have been accidently glued together.

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
That is nice looking and a great mod.
I’ve still got 2 panels to convert to either magnet or friction catches. Your post reminded me.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Great job! Did you have to remove the counter top to make your track for the tambour door?
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

TUCQUALA
Explorer
Explorer
Did the same to 3 access panels in our Timber Ridge. Got tired of taking out 4 to 12 screws to check or work in the areas blocked off.

Different method, same result!! Cut the screws down and used flat tin nuts to keep screws in panel. Countersunk where the screws went into the corners of the cutout slighty (could still use new screws if wanted!), and used velcro at the 4 corners for retention. Sticky velcro, but stapled the pieces to keep secure. Looks normal, and easily opened with a decor matching knob to grab.
'16 Outdoors Timber Ridge 280RKS
Reese 1700# Trunnion w/ DualCam HP
'03 EXCURSION XLT V10 4.30 Axles

CapnCampn
Explorer III
Explorer III
That's great!

I have a 4 screw panel in my trailer that I've been wanting to be easier to access, I think this may be the ticket.

Also, I learned a new word: tambour.

Thank you!

CC

LoudRam
Explorer
Explorer
Looks great. Very nice. FYI, mice hate the smell of peppermint. It works to keep them away.
Todd
Desert Storm Vet (US Navy)
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Quad Cab Express 4X4 5.7 Hemi 3.92
2021 Coachmen Spirit Ultra Lite 2557RB

If you can read this thank a teacher
If you can read this in english thank a vet

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Well done!
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

Jay_Pat
Explorer
Explorer
Great idea and looks great as well!!
Maybe you could stuff the mouse hole entrance with steel wool.
Pat
2010 Ford F-350 SRW
2021 Grand Design Reflection 315

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
Looks great!
2004.5 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, NV5400, 5" turbo back stainless exhaust, Edger programmer & 22.5 Alcoa's
2002 Forest River 36 5th Wheel (staying home)
1992 Jayco 29 5th Wheel (Mexico veteran & headed back)
2002 "faux" Wanderlodge 40' My new toy....