Grizz1
Explorer
Explorer
15 REPLIES 15

whjco
Explorer
Explorer
shastagary wrote:
there are phone and tablet map apps with downloadable maps no cell service needed phone map apps with downloadable maps

Yep. I use Sygic Truck as a backup. However, it seems that when I'm in the middle of a big city with rapid fire instructions coming, I'll get a phone call and . . . . .

I'll stick with my Garmin which is a dedicated device and just use my phone as a backup.

Bill J., Lexington, KY
Bill J., Lexington, KY
2006 Starcraft 2500RKS 25' Travel Trailer
2015 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.7 Cummins.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Bill.Satellite wrote:
If you don't like the phone, you could use a 10" tablet like I do! There are also 7" tablets if you like. Just be sure the one you buy has built in GPS chip. Still WAY cheaper than a stand-alone GPS. For those who simply will not use their cellular data as they believe it consumes too much data, Google Maps used 25 MB (yes, MB, you know....nothing!) on a 250 mile drive and WAZE used 50 MB as it sends location and speed data to WAZE.

You do the math 25MB is a lot more vs.zero!
Co Pilot truck and RV was the closest App I found that good deliver the same features as my Garmin RV GPS. The app was at least $100.00 or so.
My Garmin GPS also serves as my backup camera and can display the images of what's happening behind my RV.
Data usage is not the sole factor as to why some prefer a stand alone GPS.
Cell phone GPS certainly has its place in the world however there are some that make their GPS decision based on other criteria that a cell phone and tablet can't deliver
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you don't like the phone, you could use a 10" tablet like I do! There are also 7" tablets if you like. Just be sure the one you buy has built in GPS chip. Still WAY cheaper than a stand-alone GPS. For those who simply will not use their cellular data as they believe it consumes too much data, Google Maps used 25 MB (yes, MB, you know....nothing!) on a 250 mile drive and WAZE used 50 MB as it sends location and speed data to WAZE.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Maybe once the $2000.00 foldable cell phones hit the market a cell phone will provide a larger display.. But for now I don't know of a cell phone with a 7" screen like the Garmin mentioned above.
For the record I have no problem using my cell phone in GPS mode when not towing.
However when towing I prefer the larger screen and dedicated RV routing of the Garmin.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Grizz1
Explorer
Explorer
Unless I'm mistaken, Google maps, Waze, Apple maps will not route you on RV safe routes (height restrictions, weight restrictions, propane restrictions) as an RV GPS will, like the Garmin or Rand Mcnally RV GPS models. So how can the smart phone out perform the the stand alone RV GPS in that regard?

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
The truth is that EVERY current smart phone today will dramatically outperform EVERY stand-alone GPS on the market today.

At our local Costco in the electronics area, there used to always be a large display of the latest GPS (usually a Garmin) in a prominent place as you entered the store. It's been at least a couple of years since I have seen a GPS for sale at Costco. I wonder why. This article is over three years old.
David & Margaret - 2005 LTV 210B 3S
- Our Blog -

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
"A lot of prep work"? Not at all.
You update your GPS "when they're available". Maps and Waze update on a daily or weekly basis with a database so large as to cripple every stand-alone GPS.
"Why would I want/need traffic"? Have you ever driven on a highway where there was an accident ahead? If not, you are a better man than me, Gunga Din!
Live traffic data is NOT available on your GPS "when far away from somewhere". You need to be near somewhere (or connect to cellular traffic data).
If the phone rings, answer it! The turn by turn instructions will still be there. You really need to learn what your phone service can and cannot do before you start arguing points you don't understand.
No, this is not gas vs. diesel. This is informed vs. uninformed. It's not pointless informing folks that there are folks like you spewing incorrect, uninformed information to folks looking for the truth. The truth is that EVERY current smart phone today will dramatically outperform EVERY stand-alone GPS on the market today.
{drop mic}
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
MDKMDK wrote:
Grizz1 wrote:
RV 780

Nice unit. Pricey, but so are data plans for phones, at least where I come from.
With standalone GPS units with LMT, it's a one time charge.

No data plan and no cell service is required to use Google Maps if you just create the plan at home (or the local McDonald's WiFi). You won't get live traffic but you won't get live traffic on the GPS either except when near large cities and you are able to receive that FM signal.

Sounds like a lot prep work required to get from A to B, using a phone. I just tell my Garmin where I want to go, no prep/map work required, and it takes me there. I update the maps when they're available, and I'm good to go.
Why would I want/need traffic, except maybe near cities, anyway? My Garmin gives me traffic coverage when necessary, doesn't matter how close or far away from somewhere I am.
What if the phone rings during a maneuver? Call waiting?

Look "phone" people, this argument is like gas versus diesel, Ford versus Mercedes, you'll continue to do what you like, and the GPS people will do what they like, so it's pointless to keep hijacking the other side's threads with your phone versus GPS unit input.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
MDKMDK wrote:
Grizz1 wrote:
RV 780

Nice unit. Pricey, but so are data plans for phones, at least where I come from.

No data plan and no cell service is required to use Google Maps if you just create the plan at home (or the local McDonald's WiFi). You won't get live traffic but you won't get live traffic on the GPS either except when near large cities and you are able to receive that FM signal.

shastagary
Explorer
Explorer
there are phone and tablet map apps with downloadable maps no cell service needed phone map apps with downloadable maps

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
whjco wrote:
MDKMDK wrote:
Grizz1 wrote:
RV 780

And it works when you don't have cell service.

Bill J., Lexington, KY

Good point. No tower, no power, using a phone.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.

whjco
Explorer
Explorer
MDKMDK wrote:
Grizz1 wrote:
RV 780

And it works when you don't have cell service.

Bill J., Lexington, KY
Bill J., Lexington, KY
2006 Starcraft 2500RKS 25' Travel Trailer
2015 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.7 Cummins.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
I'll be sticking with the phone. I think Garmin has lost my trust.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Grizz1 wrote:
RV 780