cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

GVWR, AXLE Ratings, and Tire Load Range???

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
A few questions regarding these topics.....I will be replacing tires this weekend and ran across developed these questions as I was tire shopping/researching.

SPECS

The OEM manufacturer sticker on front left side of my Toyhauler indicates:

GVWR of 13000#
Axle Rating of 6000# per axle
Tire size of 235/80/16D (3000# rating each)

Questions:

1. How can there be a 13000# GVWR if 2 axles and 4 tires are rated at 12000#? What about the missing 1000#?

2. Is there a problem if I replace tires with 235/80/16 E rated with 3420# rating?

Thanks!
2023 GMC, 3500HD, Crew Cab, 6.6L Gas/6 Speed Auto, 4X4, Standard Bed; SRW
2011 Outback 250RS - Anniversary Edition
Equal-i-zer 10K
23 REPLIES 23

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Yes....LRE and all new high pressure valve stems!
America's Tire....with 10% discount/promotion to boot!
Equal-i-zer 10K

CALandLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Baja Man wrote:
My rims had stamped on back side.....3200lbs (see pic below)
I purchased the GY Endurance 235-80-16E
Rims are rated at 80psi

NOTE: I even replaced the spare with a less costly E rated tire in same size

Good choice. I was surprised to see your OE tires were LRD. Most ST manufacturers quit production on them because the RV trailer industry abused them so badly by installing them on 6000# axles. I personally had bad experiences with them as the USA GY marathons that were OEM on my fiver were on 6000# axles and all five of them failed and a couple more replacements until I got trailer tire wise and went up to LRE.

I hope you got new valve stems for the 80 PSI LRE tires?

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
jaycocamprs wrote:
JIMNLIN wrote:
A all steel ply carcass commercial grade Bridgestone R-250 will give you years of trouble free service. Check them out.

The Duravis R=250 is no longer a option. They are out of production, anyone now selling them is selling old stock.

Yeah..... Bridgestone came out with the R-238 a couple of years back which at that time was said it would be to replace the R-250 at some point in time.

The R-238 has the same steel ply carcass and a rib type tread but has more siping in the treads center for better wet pavement traction.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
A all steel ply carcass commercial grade Bridgestone R-250 will give you years of trouble free service. Check them out.

The Duravis R=250 is no longer a option. They are out of production, anyone now selling them is selling old stock.
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
wnjj wrote:
StirCrazy wrote:
cant be toung weight , if your tires are only rated to 12000 and the truck is rated to 13000, then you have the wrong tires on the truck. toung weight is added to the weight of the truck (takes away from payload) so if you are going to weigh 13000 you have to have tires that can handle it.

for me I have the highest payload option in my truck and it requires a 20" tire with a 3750 capacity to have that. so with a different tire I wouldnt have that high of a capicity.

think of it as your capacity is only as high as your weekest link. weather it is your axels or your tires one will limit how much you can leagaly carry.

Steve

Trailer GVWR, not truck.

just re-read it, sorry my Bad, reading to early and to fast I guess.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
My rims had stamped on back side.....3200lbs (see pic below)
I purchased the GY Endurance 235-80-16E
Rims are rated at 80psi

NOTE: I even replaced the spare with a less costly E rated tire in same size

Equal-i-zer 10K

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
My steel wheels do not give a max pressure only a max weight rating. I elected to go to a heavier tire that runs 15psi higher than the OEM tires. Itโ€™s not been an issue
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
I need to check and see if I can find specs on these wheels to see if they are rated at 80psi. Wheel manufacturer may or may not be in business? I don't recall ever seeing psi rating stamped on wheels...only the rim size.

I never saw a 16" trailer wheel that was rated less than 80 psi.
Your ST235/80-16 D tires must be old ....however that was a common size/load range several year back before 16" ST E hit the tire stores.
Those 16" wheels will have a load rating which may be good for 3000 up to 3500 lbs. Those wheels will be good at 80 psi.

Don't forget about a 16" LT235/85-16 E or LT245/75-16 E both at 3042 lbs capacity if the trailer has room in the wheel well. Their good for 12168 lb gross axle weight.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
StirCrazy wrote:
cant be toung weight , if your tires are only rated to 12000 and the truck is rated to 13000, then you have the wrong tires on the truck. toung weight is added to the weight of the truck (takes away from payload) so if you are going to weigh 13000 you have to have tires that can handle it.

for me I have the highest payload option in my truck and it requires a 20" tire with a 3750 capacity to have that. so with a different tire I wouldnt have that high of a capicity.

think of it as your capacity is only as high as your weekest link. weather it is your axels or your tires one will limit how much you can leagaly carry.

Steve

Trailer GVWR, not truck.

Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for the vocabulary lesson. I believe we covered the term 'most' in second grade.

I was informing the OP, or anyone else interested, that's where I found it.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Explorer II
Explorer II
Ralph Cramden wrote:
On most rims you won't find a "maximum pressure" rating stamped anywhere. It's RV forum spew.
My aluminum rims have 80LB clearly stamped on the inside of the rim. I had to remove the tire to find it.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
Look on the back side of the wheel, you may have to remove it. The weight capacity should be stamped in the metal.

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
lenr wrote:
However, OP must be absolutely sure that the wheels are rated for 80 psi or new wheels are needed. And be sure those new tires are aired up to 80 psi!

I need to check and see if I can find specs on these wheels to see if they are rated at 80psi. Wheel manufacturer may or may not be in business? I don't recall ever seeing psi rating stamped on wheels...only the rim size.
Equal-i-zer 10K