cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having Power Stabilizers Added

thirtydaZe
Nomad
Nomad
Now that our 5th wheel has been totaled the wife and I are out shopping for a new rig. We are planning on taking a step back and getting a nice TT which fits our needs.

We've found on we like, however it does not have Power Stabilizers. I'd like to see about having them added. Is that even a reasonable request, doable? To be clear, I'm willing to pay for the upgrade, but without having to order a new model, is it something that can be reasonably added onto?
2019 Jayco Eagle HT 324BHTS
2024 Ram 2500 68RFE
13 REPLIES 13

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
both of the 2 Travel Trailers we have owned (still own 2nd) have electric stabilizers not levelers. they were factory installed so we use them. i would be just as happy with manual. my wife always wants to help me setup the camper when we arrive at campground so they are convenient for her.... just push the button. i usually have to remind her to wait until i get TT level though... they have an easy hand crank overide if they fail to operate.

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
beemerphile1 wrote:
thirtydaZe wrote:
Snomas wrote:
I use a a portable drill and socket. Takes 5 minutes to stableze the TT. I sure don't see the need for anything more than that unless you are pure lazy. I owned a DP for 15 years w/ automatic jacks and are absolutely necessary on 35K lb unit, but on a 4K TT not necessary. IMHO

what about an 11k TT?

Doesn't matter, you aren't lifting it, you are stabilizing it.
That's a good point, because depending on what trailer you are installing this on, it is probably designed to be stabilized on the four corners, but may not be able to be "leveled" from the four corners. Lift the wheels on one side off the ground and you could bend the frame. That's an important distinction, although your title says "stablize" your posts seem to me to hint your talking about "leveling". Big difference.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
thirtydaZe wrote:
Snomas wrote:
I use a a portable drill and socket. Takes 5 minutes to stableze the TT. I sure don't see the need for anything more than that unless you are pure lazy. I owned a DP for 15 years w/ automatic jacks and are absolutely necessary on 35K lb unit, but on a 4K TT not necessary. IMHO

what about an 11k TT?

Doesn't matter, you aren't lifting it, you are stabilizing it.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

thirtydaZe
Nomad
Nomad
Snomas wrote:

what about an 11k TT?
2024 Ram 2500 68RFE

Snomas
Explorer
Explorer
2006 WINNEBAGO ASPECT 29H Ford E450 Super Duty
2018 F150 Lariat Crew Cab, Coyote 5.0 L RWD

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
thirtydaZe wrote:
Thanks for your input. When we had TTs prior to getting into 5th wheels they all had electric stabilizer jacks. It was just what i had come to expect. I was a bit shocked when this one didnt come with them. Perhaps its actually for the better afterall.

Not really. Though they like all stabilizers have shortcomings. Having had both, I much prefer the Lippert power ones.
They have one very important advantage over the manual ones.
They maintain equal pressure on the legs at all times.
This means that racking of the frame is impossible!
No more sticking doors.... EVER!
With today's lightweight frames, this is more important than ever.
Yes they go down slower than using a power drill/manuals. but since the button lowers two legs at once, it is pretty much a wash speed wise... And not racking the frame is a HUGE deal.
Doing this after the fact though is an expensive proposition. Likely over a thousand dollars. It is much cheaper to get them already installed on a new unit.

Still, I will not ever own a TT with manual stabilizers again.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

thirtydaZe
Nomad
Nomad
Thanks for your input. When we had TTs prior to getting into 5th wheels they all had electric stabilizer jacks. It was just what i had come to expect. I was a bit shocked when this one didnt come with them. Perhaps its actually for the better afterall.
2024 Ram 2500 68RFE

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
thirtydaZe wrote:

What are you using to put the manuals up and down, power drill and a bit?

Yep, that is what I use. I added a third pair of jacks just in front of the axles to reduce frame flex and it still takes little time to stabilize.

WayneAt63044
Explorer
Explorer
My current TT has electric stabilizers and I prefer the manual ones because they are quicker to deploy with a cordless drill. The electric ones that I have seem to take forever while standing in an awkward semi-stooped position to hold the switch.
2012 Forest River V-Cross Vibe 826VFK
pulled by 2009 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
My '17 Laredo has the Lippert Ground Control 3.0 auto levelers. Is this what you are talking about or is it just electric stabilizers you want? I had the electric stabilizers on a StarCraft unit I had before and while they were OK they were no different in taking the wiggle out of the trailer than the manual ones were really.

The new Laredo with the auto leveling system is rock solid when deployed. I like it although it can be a bit temperamental at times I have always managed to get level. There is a difference between the 2 so be sure the dealer understands exactly what you are talking about.

shastagary
Explorer
Explorer
a good cordless drill and a socket adapter with the correct size socket will make quick work of a manual jack Socket Adapter

thirtydaZe
Nomad
Nomad
Lynnmor wrote:
thirtydaZe wrote:
Now that our 5th wheel has been totaled the wife and I are out shopping for a new rig. We are planning on taking a step back and getting a nice TT which fits our needs.

We've found on we like, however it does not have Power Stabilizers. I'd like to see about having them added. Is that even a reasonable request, doable? To be clear, I'm willing to pay for the upgrade, but without having to order a new model, is it something that can be reasonably added onto?

They can be added but before you do, try shaking a trailer with the stabilizers deployed. I'll just keep my manual jacks.

What are you using to put the manuals up and down, power drill and a bit?
2024 Ram 2500 68RFE

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
thirtydaZe wrote:

They can be added but before you do, try shaking a trailer with the stabilizers deployed. I'll just keep my manual jacks.