Explorer
Had any one had hammertoe sugary, pain and recovery time

Busdriver

2019 2500 Chevy Duramax , - 2017 Grand Design 303 RLS
2 REPLIES 2

maddog348
Explorer
Explorer
Friend had Hammertoe surgery few years back. 7 Hammertoes worked on at same time ~ Not all on same foot. Just sat on her .....chair.......and had things carried to her. Pins in toes 2-3 weeks. After pins taken out ( some pain at that time) began walking. To speed up the process began wearing the Vibram 5Fingers ~ shoes with toes. River bed was dry at the time so spent a couple of hours at a time walking in deep sand. Took about 2 months to get back to normal & pain free. Still wears the 5Fingers most of the time.

wgriswold
Explorer
Explorer
Last fall my wife had hammertoes so bad on both feet that there were bloody calluses on the tips of her 2nd through 4th toes on both feet. She had a very painful time walking and used a wheelchair in airports on our trip to Europe and could not walk far.

She has used a device under her toes that has been very helpful and now she walks without pain when using the device.

Here is the reference to the toe supports that have helped her so much. They come in a right and left version and I am embarrassed to admit that it took me several weeks to figure that out. The straight side goes against your foot and the curved side goes out under your toes. I donโ€™t know if it will help you but they are cheap enough to try and see.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SX9T4QG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am subscribing to this thread because she is considering surgery but is unsure if she needs it now as long as the device is working so well.

We understand that the recovery time is between several weeks to several months depending on the individual and the type of surgery.
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 Laramie
Arctic Fox 25Y