Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PA to Disney Route Suggestions

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hello All,

We live about an hour North West of Philadelphia (Montgomery County) in the Pottstown PA area for those familiar. We are leaving this Friday for Disney. We will be leaving home around 6pm and hope to drive until about midnight / 1am, find a walmart or similar and get some sleep and then finish the trip on Saturday. For business I am very familiar with the drive from my area to DC and on down through Richmond. Typically I take 95 and all the beltways around Baltimore, DC, etc. For this trip however we will be towing our 35' travel trailer and have never towed 95. Do you recommend taking the 95 route all the way down? Can I tow through the Baltimore tunnels with propane bottles?(if not how do I avoid them?) I'd prefer not to go all the way out to 81 as that takes me about 90 minutes just to get there before I start heading south, however I am interested in your opinions. What route do you suggest?

Thanks!
18 REPLIES 18

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bumpyroad wrote:
kfp673 wrote:
So just as an update, we just got home today. Great trip and had excellent weather! On the way down, we left around 6pm Friday night, we headed west and took 81 but cut back over to 95 north of Richmond and ran 95 the rest of the way. I hated every minute of the 95 portion. Traffic north of Richmond was terrible and even after spending the night in that area and leaving again saturday morning we hit jam after jam on 95. Wasted a few hours easily sitting in traffic! Coming home we took the 77 through Charolette to 81 route, and while the GPS says that is 1 hr longer, that is the only way I will go from now on. I already know the mess 95 is in Philly and DC but figured it would get better south. We travelled 81 north for our stop over spot last night outside Charolette and it was a breeze, not to mention much nicer scenery and views of the mountains. Definitely the way I will go in the future. Thanks again all!

out of curiosity, exactly where did you "cut over" to 95? hopefully it was not above Fredricksburg??? An Easter holiday weekend is not a good reference point for "normal" traffic conditions.
bumpy

Understood, and I forget exactly which route we cut over to 95 but it was not above Fredricksburg. Even if there was no traffic at all I still think I will take 81 from now on for 2 reasons. Physical road condition is not even close. 81 is in pretty solid shape the entire run as is 77 (accept a few areas in NC), as where 95 is just bad in so many areas. I travel from home to the DC area a few times a year and feel like my teeth are going to fall out with an empty truck let alone towing ;). Second is the scenery. No doubt I cost myself an extra fill up or two from climbing the mountains, but it's worth it.

The other thing I hear a lot is about the big rig trucks on 81 vs 95. This is obviously purely 1 persons opinion, but I do not feel they are any more than 95 or any other interstate, and quite honestly they don't bother me when towing. Sure, once in a while you get 2 side by side going 50, but for the most part I actually find them to be a huge help. If you tuck in behind one you definitely get pulled along and save gas, but more importantly they actually let you in and let you change lanes. Cars on the other hand see a camper and do everything possible to get in front and not let you change lanes or pass or whatever. Trucks it's like you become one of them and they make it easier IMO. Anyway, great trip and thanks to everyone for your thoughts. Depending on where you live and where you are going, there are many options obviously but I think we found ours for any future FL trips.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
ct1964ups wrote:

I would have given you this Route....it was my FIRST choice...but you stated you were not quite sure you wanted to tackle the "mountains" first time towing your trailer..which I can understand...Sorry....and I also completely forgot it was Easter week and all the traffic....C

yep, timing is everything. I have mentioned here before my friend stays on 95 north, goes around DC, then 270 to Frederick, and I go 95 to 17 to 15 and north. the first time he tried my route he fussed since everything was really backed up. It so happened that that was the day that the entire DC area was shut down due to the DC Beltway sniper search. 🙂
bumpy

ct1964ups
Explorer
Explorer
kfp673 wrote:
So just as an update, we just got home today. Great trip and had excellent weather! On the way down, we left around 6pm Friday night, we headed west and took 81 but cut back over to 95 north of Richmond and ran 95 the rest of the way. I hated every minute of the 95 portion. Traffic north of Richmond was terrible and even after spending the night in that area and leaving again saturday morning we hit jam after jam on 95. Wasted a few hours easily sitting in traffic! Coming home we took the 77 through Charolette to 81 route, and while the GPS says that is 1 hr longer, that is the only way I will go from now on. I already know the mess 95 is in Philly and DC but figured it would get better south. We travelled 81 north for our stop over spot last night outside Charolette and it was a breeze, not to mention much nicer scenery and views of the mountains. Definitely the way I will go in the future. Thanks again all!

I would have given you this Route....it was my FIRST choice...but you stated you were not quite sure you wanted to tackle the "mountains" first time towing your trailer..which I can understand...Sorry....and I also completely forgot it was Easter week and all the traffic....C
2017 Newmar Mountain Aire Seville on a Freightliner/2015 Granite Grand Cherokee Limited
2012 American Tradition Merlot>>SOLD
Keep The Rubber On The Road
GO NOLES

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
kfp673 wrote:

out of curiosity, exactly where did you "cut over" to 95? hopefully it was not above Fredricksburg??? An Easter holiday weekend is not a good reference point for "normal" traffic conditions.
bumpy

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II

Ralph Cramden wrote:
$121.00 and 2 hrs 30 minutes nonstop PHL-ORD on Southwest.

the OP stated - "For this trip however we will be towing our 35' travel trailer '

I do not think that will fit in the overhead compartment??? :h
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

ct1964ups
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
ct1964ups wrote:

I would go to 81,to 66 @ Winchezter,Va...66 to Rt 17 thru Warrenton ,Va to 95....down 95 straight thru Richmond,only 15 minutes of any traffic...then down 95 to 4 to Disney
Eliminate the Washington/Baltimore traffic and tunnels...and the hills on 77.....Safe Trip...C

One suggestion, as you approach Richmond on 95 there is a sign giving the estimated time thru richmond on 295 vs 95. It will show if there is any trouble staying on 95, if not just put er in the middle lane and coast thru.
bumpy

Wow,hey Bumpy ..thanks for the tip...didn't realize that...C
2017 Newmar Mountain Aire Seville on a Freightliner/2015 Granite Grand Cherokee Limited
GO NOLES

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
ct1964ups wrote:

I would go to 81,to 66 @ Winchezter,Va...66 to Rt 17 thru Warrenton ,Va to 95....down 95 straight thru Richmond,only 15 minutes of any traffic...then down 95 to 4 to Disney
Eliminate the Washington/Baltimore traffic and tunnels...and the hills on 77.....Safe Trip...C

One suggestion, as you approach Richmond on 95 there is a sign giving the estimated time thru richmond on 295 vs 95. It will show if there is any trouble staying on 95, if not just put er in the middle lane and coast thru.
bumpy

ct1964ups
Explorer
Explorer
kfp673 wrote:
Hello All,

We live about an hour North West of Philadelphia (Montgomery County) in the Pottstown PA area for those familiar. We are leaving this Friday for Disney. We will be leaving home around 6pm and hope to drive until about midnight / 1am, find a walmart or similar and get some sleep and then finish the trip on Saturday. For business I am very familiar with the drive from my area to DC and on down through Richmond. Typically I take 95 and all the beltways around Baltimore, DC, etc. For this trip however we will be towing our 35' travel trailer and have never towed 95. Do you recommend taking the 95 route all the way down? Can I tow through the Baltimore tunnels with propane bottles?(if not how do I avoid them?) I'd prefer not to go all the way out to 81 as that takes me about 90 minutes just to get there before I start heading south, however I am interested in your opinions. What route do you suggest?

Thanks!

GO NOLES

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
Options 81 to 77 to 26 to 95. Or 81 to 64 which brings you out around Richmond. That route you will find 2 Flying J's which we like because many have separate RV pumps.One in Winchester,Va and the other near Richmond. And if you have a Flying J card or are a Good Sam Like member you get 5 cents off a gallon. 8 cents off on diesel.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
kfp673 wrote:
Thanks all. So there generally seems to be 2 thoughts. 1 is head west and avoid Baltimore /DC by using 81. Downside there is towing in the mountains but from experience driving to Roanoke in the past, typically very light traffic. 2nd thought seems to be avoiding Baltimore / DC by using 301 and what looks like 50 west back to 301 south again picking up 95 down near Richmond. No-one votes to just take 95. What a surprise 😉 I was in DC for business earlier this week and there is no shortage of construction and terrible road conditions, so I definitely want to avoid 95 at least until we get past DC. I'll look at traffic right before we leave and try to make a call. Thanks again everyone!

could take I 81 down to 17 and over to I-95 at fredericksburg. the stretch from DC down to 17 on 95 was determined to be the worst mess in the country.
bumpy

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks all. So there generally seems to be 2 thoughts. 1 is head west and avoid Baltimore /DC by using 81. Downside there is towing in the mountains but from experience driving to Roanoke in the past, typically very light traffic. 2nd thought seems to be avoiding Baltimore / DC by using 301 and what looks like 50 west back to 301 south again picking up 95 down near Richmond. No-one votes to just take 95. What a surprise 😉 I was in DC for business earlier this week and there is no shortage of construction and terrible road conditions, so I definitely want to avoid 95 at least until we get past DC. I'll look at traffic right before we leave and try to make a call. Thanks again everyone!

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
From Pottstown I would take either 422 or the turnpike West to 81 then 81 South. You can easily get back over to 95 in South Carolina using Rt 77 and completely avoid all the DC traffic and tunnels. I think it is actually a straighter shot. We just came back that way returning from winter in Florida.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
Pottstown Pa to Orlando
This adds 30 minutes to the trip but that is only if you don't get into traffic on I-95. It also eliminates the tolls on I-95 north of Baltimore and the tunnels you are worried about.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500