cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Microwave dying

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
We are full-timers and our microwave is starting to go. There is a relay or something that keeps the unit on after it is supposed to shut down. After giving it a couple of quick slams on the side it unsticks and works for a time or two. The unit is above range mounted with a cook light and fan. (Fridgadare). I am looking for what types of microwaves you have used for replacement and if you recommend it.
8 REPLIES 8

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
joelc wrote:
I am looking for just a microwave, not micro/convection. The air fryer is a good idea, but I use the microwave basically for reheating and heating up canned dog food for my little buddies. Anyone have experience with LG, Panasonic or Sharp. I know GE is rated high, but I do not like GE products.

Any of those brands would be fine for you. The MW in our old trailer was badeged Dometic. When I went searching for a replacement glass turntable that broke, I discovered it was either an LG or Samsung MW (don't recall which brand).
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thank you

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
LG and Sharp have been good for us. Panasonic has not.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
I am looking for just a microwave, not micro/convection. The air fryer is a good idea, but I use the microwave basically for reheating and heating up canned dog food for my little buddies. Anyone have experience with LG, Panasonic or Sharp. I know GE is rated high, but I do not like GE products.

AJR
Explorer
Explorer
When my microwave quit I looked around and found a floor demo at Camping World that fit the front grill plate. Took it to a local RV shop and had them install it. One savings balanced the install cost.

The new one was a microwave/convection oven. Never did figure out the convection part.

Today, in my new to me rig (normal microwave), I travel with an air fryer. It can do what one of those โ€œovensโ€ can and more. I happen to like French fries with brats or dogs. Easy to do with an air fryer. Minimum cleanup is a plus. Even done fresh breaded pork chops in it. Baked potato not a problem. Nice and crispy on the surface.

Just another thought.
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

Stim
Explorer
Explorer
A neighbor gave me a high dollar Sears microwave that worked sometimes if you slammed the door.
I replaced a $1.50 microswitch on the door latch and used it for many years.
Many switches on ebay.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
when ours died we bought from wal mart a sharp micro wave with a convection oven works great.

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
We replaced ours with one from Walmart. As long as its dimensions fit the cabinet you can do the same ... unless you don't have an outlet nearby. Also, make sure the amperage on the new microwave doesn't exceed the amps limitations of your rig.

The metal facing on our cabinet had to be removed before we took out the old one. Stuck the new one in its place, plugged it in, screwed the metal facing back onto the cabinet and all was copacetic.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus