cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Harley Battery Drains When Traveling

MartyMoose
Explorer
Explorer
My battery always drains during a long trip ( 800 + miles ). I've tried leaving my key fob on the bike so the alarm isn't flashing the lights due to the movement.
The only thing that works is to pull the main fuse ( which is kind of a pain ).
My buddy's bike does the same thing.

Weird.... does anyone else experience this? Any other options besides pulling the main fuse?

Thanks
2014 Heartland 305RW Road Warrior

2012 Ford F250 Lariat
14 REPLIES 14

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have never had a dead battery when hauling my 2009 Harley. I started hauling it with the key fob but now haul in Transport mode all the time. I even posted a print out of the Transport mode procedure and taped it o the cabinet above the bike!
I would check your battery even a little drain can cause a failure on a defective battery. And second I would haul in Transport mode.
2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 500 watt Solar 2000 watt Inverter, 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
Here ya go:

https://info.southsideharley.com/indianapolis-southside-hd-blog/how-to-put-your-harley-davidson-moto...

Have you ever trailered your Harley-Davidson® a long distance, only to discover that- somehow- your battery died on you? Believe it or not, it actually happens more often than you'd think- and here's why:
If you've got a Harley-Davidson equipped with a security system, your motorcycle's motion sensors are going to trigger the alarm when it senses that it's being moved. After 600 miles or so in the back of that trailer, all those blinking lights will have run your battery dry.
Luckily, there's a solution.
Your Harley has a feature called Transport Mode, which disables the motion detection sensors linked to your motorcycle's alarm system. This way, your bike won't sense that it's moving and, therefor, won't panic when it thinks it's being kidnapped.

Remember that- although you've disabled your motion sensors- your security system is still active. So other activity, such as attempting to start the engine with your fob out of range will still trigger your alarm.
So, let's get right down to it. Here's how to put your Harley-Davidson in transport mode so your bike will be ready to ride when you are.
2014 models and newer:
With an assigned fob within range, turn the ignition switch to IGNITION.
Before the security system lamp goes out, turn the ignition switch to OFF.
Within three seconds, simultaneously press both the left and the right turn signal switches.
The turn signals will flash once, and the system enters transport mode.
Remove the fob- your motorcycle can now be moved without triggering the alarm.
To exit transport mode, make sure your assigned fob is within range, and turn your bike’s ignition switch back to IGNITION. Now you're ready to ride.

*Note that activating transport mode on CVO models and models 2013 and older will be a little different. Check out the video tutorials below for step-by-step instructions.
CVO models-2014 and newer:
*This information is accurate for Harley-Davidson CVO Models 2014-2018

2013 models and older:

If you have any additional questions regarding transport mode and your particular Harley-Davidson model, refer to your owners manual.
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
slapshot12 wrote:
Itried wrote:
Harleys security system(motion sensor)will still be active even with the FOB present, draining the battery. You will want to find the procedure for your year Harley to place it in Transport mode.

What he said.....the security system is probably going off the entire time you’re driving.

x3 - check your manual - transport mode
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

slapshot12
Explorer
Explorer
Itried wrote:
Harleys security system(motion sensor)will still be active even with the FOB present, draining the battery. You will want to find the procedure for your year Harley to place it in Transport mode.

What he said.....the security system is probably going off the entire time you’re driving.
'18 Momentum 349M
'17 F-350 SRW Lariat CCSB 6.7 FX4

EV2
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
I pulled my Harley from AZ to FL and back (and other long trips) and never had a battery issue. Could it be your battery?

Your 2011 does not apply. As was stated prior, the manual enlightens transport mode for this very reason.

steelhunter
Explorer
Explorer
MartyMoose wrote:
My battery always drains during a long trip ( 800 + miles ). I've tried leaving my key fob on the bike so the alarm isn't flashing the lights due to the movement.
The only thing that works is to pull the main fuse ( which is kind of a pain ).
My buddy's bike does the same thing.

Weird.... does anyone else experience this? Any other options besides pulling the main fuse?

Thanks

Riding or trailering?

GottaRunGottaCa
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
Do you have to cross your eyes and wiggle your eyebrows while you do that? 🙂

If it don't work the first time LOL
2016 F350
2019 Heartland Torque TQ-371

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I pulled my Harley from AZ to FL and back (and other long trips) and never had a battery issue. Could it be your battery?
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do you have to cross your eyes and wiggle your eyebrows while you do that? 🙂
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

GottaRunGottaCa
Explorer
Explorer
MartyMoose wrote:
Thanks for the info.
Will check it out. It has to be much easier than pulling the main fuse.

I found this out the hard way, look at your owners manual and follow the procedure for Transport mode.
Mine is a 2015 CVO roadglide ultra, you have to turn on the ignition then immediately turn off, then press both turn signals at the same time until the turn signals flash three times, done deal your are ready to go, yours might be different.
:C
2016 F350
2019 Heartland Torque TQ-371

MartyMoose
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info.
Will check it out. It has to be much easier than pulling the main fuse.
2014 Heartland 305RW Road Warrior

2012 Ford F250 Lariat

CampinginCanada
Explorer
Explorer
It explains how to put it in transport mode in the owners manual.
2017 Ram 3500 Diesel SWB SRW
2018 Jayco Octane 272

Itried
Explorer
Explorer
09 DMax cc swd black
15 KZ Sportsmen Sportster TH355

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
How many hours/days are we talking here? It would drain down in a couple days? How old is the bike and battery? Have you checked for where the parasitic drain is coming from? Maybe you aren't riding it long enough for the battery to charge back up.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"